Diesel oils in gasoline engine

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is what the Owners Manual says:
attachment.php

And Shell Rotella T 15W40 meets (or exceeds) those requirements:
attachment.php

Attachments

• Shell_Rotella_T_15W40_SAE_Viscoity_Ratings.jpg
    Shell_Rotella_T_15W40_SAE_Viscoity_Ratings.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 93
  • VMax_Oil_Type-Amount-US.jpg
    VMax_Oil_Type-Amount-US.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 95
Been using Rotella T Diesel oil in the Road Star and the Max for a few years now. Never had a problem with either bikes engine.

I will continue to use this oil. Price is affordable, and both bikes run and shift fine..

Its for low revving engines not high performance high revving engine

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. But I base mine on practical facts and results. Rotella is used in many of the Vmaxes HERE.
Bill's at well over 100k. I'd use Delco 15w-40 if Rotella disappeared, no problem.
Steve-o

This is dino oil we're talking about. Just the composition for the diesel is conducive for the overall makeup of our bikes needs.

Well I guess you could always go to a local Walmart, and compare the rotella ingredients to a quart of motorcycle oil, and take your owners manual with you. I used to use Valvoline 10w40 4 stroke motorcycle oil, after a few hundred miles it got hard to shift, had to shut it off to find neutral, oil got black on the first ride. I read allot on here to use shell 15w40, now I ride a few thousand miles and can find neutral easily, and it shifts nice and smooth as compared to the motorcycle specific oil, it still gets black but takes more than one ride lol. Now if the v max had the clutch separate from the engine oil like my Honda trx450r then the clutch side would be shell, and the engine side would be a synthetic oil to reduce friction.

I'm in trouble then.....the 80 to 90 dyno runs with Rotella T have put the bike on its last legs then. Oh......and I have about 44k miles on the bike.

Sent from my SCH-R890 using Tapatalk

This COULD account for those 15 missing HP you've been looking for Eric. Just think, all this time, you could have simply switched out your motor oil for a better grade, and gotten the extra 15hp. Oh my! :biglaugh:

This COULD account for those 15 missing HP you've been looking for Eric. Just think, all this time, you could have simply switched out your motor oil for a better grade, and gotten the extra 15hp. Oh my! :biglaugh:

LOL.....you sure know how to hurt a guy....:biglaugh:

Its certainly interesting to be on "bike, or car" forums from around the world and to see the different methods of doing or fixing things or building things that other countries do. Way up here in northern sask, we have never heard of using diesel oils in anything other than a diesel engine. I looked at the Canadian Tire store and at the Napa store, and they had No idea what I was talking about LOL. I had never heard of this till I came onto this Forum. We are huge Amzoil & Royal Purple users around here. Same thing with the tires I just bought 'shinko's",...They had to be special ordered. This was the first pair he had sold here. different products for different places. So I am definatly on a learning curve .

jinks,
you should read this for more good info about using Heavy Duty oil in a motorcycle:

Attachments

• Motorcycle Motor Oil.pdf
    197.9 KB · Views: 19
Have used Rotella T in both bikes (1995 VMax and 2007 VStar 1300T) since new and have over 70,000 miles on both. Have not had engine problems or replaced a clutch, yet.
Just sayin.....

Latest posts

Back