Diesel powered bike

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wingrider

Reaction score
Hey All,

I have decided that I am going to take on a little project this coming year. I've always enjoyed diesel motors, and figured, why not throw one in a bike?

I am in the very early stages of planning right now, but I think I've got the motor chosen, and the transmission probably picked out. I am going to be running some version of a VW diesel. Would like to get the little 1.2L 3 cylinder found over in Europe, but will probably end up with with a 1.6 or a 1.9 4 cylinder that can be found here in the States. Originally, I was going to use a Yanmar 3 cylinder found in John Deere Garden tractors, but without major work, I can't get the power up past about 40 hp, and 70 ft lbs of torque. So, the VW motor will get me into the hp I want, and will have a bit more torque.

I think I'm going to run an Ultima motorcycle tranny that are found in the big V-twins....I contacted the company, and one of the fella's figured it would hold up to 200 ft lb's of torque without breaking down.

Final drive will probably be belt.

What I am unsure in, is what type of frame/donor bike to get? I've decided that I'd like my next bike to be a bagger, and have a bat fairing on it. I would guess it'll need to be a bigger bike, as the VW lump will be somewhere around 300 pounds. Originally, I was thinking an HD frame, but didn't know if they'd hold up to the weight, so I figured I'd ask on here if anyone had a suggestion for a donor. I was even thinking of a Honda Valkyrie frame, as it would probably be big enough. I'd like the frame to be steel, that way I can weld it easier. I don't think the Vmax frame is going to cut it either. :)

Anyone have any thoughts on what to use? I've asked this same basic question on a couple sites, and nobody really can suggest anything for me.

Thanks for any help! :)

Not sure on the frame but if your looking for more power from the diesel you can do some searching on the net for draw through (draw thru) VW engines. Lots of folks out there have adapted a draw thru turbo onto these engines for little investment. Just something to think about.

Check out the frame on the Triumph Rocket ,,2300 cc in line 3 cylinder,, might have the room and the strength you are looking for!

Hi Wing,
The Valkyrie frame is a brick and the motor weighs a ton so I'm sure it would hold the diesel motor. I really like my Valk Tourer. Stable, fast enough in a torquie sort of way, roomy, for the little misses and all our crap, all black
( the fastest color). AND I'm sure the diesel will get much better fuel milage.
Lew

Thanks for the suggestions so far! This bike will be primarily used for commuting...I'm still not sure I could give the Wing up for long distances. :) I'm hoping that I can achieve 70+ mpg, but still have a lot of fun with it.

It'll have a turbo on it, but if my set up doesn't have one to begin with, I'll have to look into the draw thru system.

Thanks for the help so far!

Thanks for the links...seen most of them, but hadn't read all there was to read in them.

Satariel, don't be shy, what do you recommend? :) I know most of the diesel bike sites are over in Europe, diesels haven't quite caught on that big here in the States...so a lot of motors available to you need to take a boat ride to me. :)

Personally i own a 1.8 TDDI Ford Focus which is a chick car in USA, i know :rofl_200:
200Nm of torque avaible from 2k rpm and 5 liters consumption per 100km suits me well.
Absolutly indestructable inline 4 engine.
No double-mass flywheel, no sukcing emission filters etc.
Simple and very good one.

I can grab one from salavage for about 600$ :D

Suprisly next gen focus engine 1.8 TDCI (common rail, stronger version with a variable geometry turbo) is an crap i would never take even for free.

Next indestructable engine is a JTD 1.9 from VW.
You can find one is most Passat's, Skoda octavia and in some Seat's.
Its using a common rail and double-mass flywhell.
Also very realible.

Those are cheaper versions.

I can recmommend you more but the price will be twice and they will be pretty big - like Mazda 6 with 2.0 engine.

I know VW is using 1.2 turbodiesel in LUPO or POLO and they can make 100km from 3,5 litre of fuel.
But they will be expensive since they were designed not a long ago and they are not that smaller compared to 1.6 or 1.8 engines.

There're also SMART's with 800cc turbodiesels which you may be interested.

Thanks for the suggestions! I had heard about the Ford Focus, but here they don't come with a diesel. It would be great to get one for that price, but I'd probably have to swim it home! :) I think the 1.9 VW motor is one that we have here...but I'd probably end up with an older one that isn't common rail.

I had looked into that SMART motor, but figured they would also be expensive like the little 1.2 Lupo motor, being they are fairly new to the market.

im a huge diesel fan myself, ive owned a few diesel pickups and make my living fixing ford diesels. my buddy has had 2 or 3 vw diesels, probably 5 or 6 12v cummins' along with a couple of mercedes diesels. i look forward to watching this build and seeing the finished product!
if you need some help with anything let me know and ill either help ya out or steer ya to the right place for the answer

Thanks for the suggestions! I had heard about the Ford Focus, but here they don't come with a diesel. It would be great to get one for that price, but I'd probably have to swim it home! :) I think the 1.9 VW motor is one that we have here...but I'd probably end up with an older one that isn't common rail.

I had looked into that SMART motor, but figured they would also be expensive like the little 1.2 Lupo motor, being they are fairly new to the market.

You gonna need some ecu to control that engine or maybe you have a devilish plan to swap the electronics too? :)

I can help ya with focus engine as i know them very good.
They're interesting.
Those inline 4's have a fuel pump driven by chain from crank which supouse to drive the cam in most cases.
Cam SOHC is driven by the second side of fuel pump axle with the timing belt.
That is an original conception.

would a custom frame be easier in the long run? just make your own i mean, will have to modify anyways to mount it.

i see you got a motor picked out but incase you chg your mind do not use a yanmar.....trust me they are garbage, work around them for a long time and they suck arse. nothing but issues and run like crap from day one.......so my 2 cents would be stay away from them.

I'm hoping that the motor I end up with doesn't need an ECU, but if it does, I've heard I can get help with a chip tuner, and then I don't need to have everything from the donor car. Supposidly, a pre 1999 motor here doesn't need near the amount of electronics with it.

For some reason, I'm more comfortable modifying a frame that's already built than building one from scratch. Not sure why, but at the moment, that's the way I'm thinking about it. :)

I would go with either a Valk frame or if you can find a Boss Hoss frame would really hold the motor. The Triumph wouldnt work because the motor is part of the frame. Sounds like a fun project post some pics as you get it togeather would love to see it.

He he he...if I got ahold of a Boss Hoss frame, I'd probably throw a Cummins 4bt in it, and have it rattle like the 6bt in my truck. :)

Latest posts

Back