Difference in size of 85 to 86 fron header pipes

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alorio1

Reaction score
Difference in size of 85 to 86 front header pipes

Does anyone know if the front stock header pipes off a 85 gen 1 will fit an 86 gen 1 vmax without any mods to stock exhaust system.

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick reply CaptainKyle, I had always heard the myth about the 85 was the fastest gen 1 and they reduced the size one milimeter to slow it down in 86 gen 1s.

Ii heard that it was the carb chains were better designed in 85 and made too much power. Hence the smaller carb chains fro 86 onward.

Don't believe that, I checked the carb chains and they are the same size. Im starting worry about you Patmax, Believing every thing you hear.

Ii heard that it was the carb chains were better designed in 85 and made too much power. Hence the smaller carb chains fro 86 onward.

Don't believe that, I checked the carb chains and they are the same size. Im starting worry about you Patmax, Believing every thing you hear.
Be very careful, carb chain tuning is a black art practiced by, well who actually practices it is unknown by the general public. It seems that if there is a problem with carb chains a individual or individuals take care of the carb chain issue while their identity becomes a complete mystery once they depart. It's as if a spell is lifted. It's best that any carb chain stories remain on how well they work and not how they remain "tuned" for such a long time. Anybody see that spring training has started?

Don't believe?!
Just ask SpecOps and the carb chain demons in SkullDuggery!
Another case for Scully and Moulder. You must believe...

The only diffence between the 1985 and 1986 Vmax was that Pee Wee Gleason totally fell for the free Ex-Lax Milkshakes the day before the offical 1/4 mile run.

So what about the story that the '85's had 1mm larger vboost butterflies and the exhaust outlets (baffles) were 1mm smaller. True of False?

Back