Different front fork tubes.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joelyons50023

Reaction score
I was wondering if there was any other forks that are the same diameter as the stock 43mm forks. I was really thinking USD (inverted forks) forks that would work because i know that most sportbike fork tubes. Yes I know that most USD forks are shorter but that is kinda the route that I am going. Thanks.

I would think that the very nature of the USD fork would necessitate the upper to be much greater than 43mm.

That being said, with the weight of the VMax I don't think that I would want to be riding around on a USD fork where the top section was only 43mm. That would put the bottm section somewhere around 30mm......waaaaaaay too skinny for the Max.

agreed. even at 50mm which I think most USD's are a 43mm would make the lower tube tiny!

Sean

Ya I guess you are right. I wish that I could find a cheap inverted front end. I need to get in good with a motorcycle junkyard. My buddy got an R1 front end for his sportster for 600 bucks. I wish that I could find something like that mabie even without the wheel for cheeper.

I'd sell you a complete R1 setup with wheel, new tire, front forks, custom upper triple, modified lower triple (need stock one back), ect... to make it all bolt on and go for $1250 with shipping. Even the fender and brakes (not counting lines).

Sean

i would rather take a stock r1 front end and have the stem machined to size. i would figure out a way to make the stock front rim work. thanks though.

Unfortunately, it's not as easy as just bolting the R1 front or any other sport bike front end, even after machining/changing stem.

Fork leg length is too short, most sport bikes are about 29" legs and the Vmax is 34" - so you will need custom triples and or fork leg extension pieces. Also the internals need to be changed to handle the extra weight of the vmax over the sport bike. Also speedometer needs to be considered, either electronic one or custom machined one. There's more, but I think you get the point.

Hey I wish there was a cheap alternative as I would have switched to one long ago.

Mike

The lower triple I have listed there is a R1 lower triple with Vmax steering stem added to it. The upper is dropped to let the shorter forks reach the ground before your oil pan does. You can use the Vmax front wheel and I could sub the necessary parts in place of this wheel (you need a custom axle and Large threaded adapter (like a big helicoil). Then you can even put the vmax wheel in place and use the stock speedo drive with it all clamped up snug. Even though there is no "tab" or notch for the drive on the fork leg side they still tend to hold just fine.

Sean

To add to what Sean has posted on fitment, it wouldn't be all that hard to calculate a spring rate to achieve proper sag given the Vmax weight, as well as replacing the rebound and compression valves with ones that would control the new spring rate (which would actually probably be very close to the OEM Yamaha spring rate if using a 2007-2008 fork).

I just can't help but wonder if there is a better USD candidate out there in terms of total length and travel length.

I don't think there are any that are better length?? You might be able to start out with some busa forks which is a heavier bike. There are a few newer cruisers that have inverteds that might work better too.

Sean

I don't think there are any that are better length?? You might be able to start out with some busa forks which is a heavier bike. There are a few newer cruisers that have inverteds that might work better too.

Sean

That's exactly what I was wondering, Sean. USD are finally become more common on big cruisers, and not many manufacturers actually build their own forks. So I'm curious if there is a big tube, big piston, long travel set of forks that could be used easily. I wouldn't do it to my Vmax, but I'd be more than willing to assist someone within a reasonable traveling distance. I'll call the place I buy my parts from and see what cross references pretty well. Not my normal line of doing things, but it sounds like fun. :a014:

I thought that someone on this forum had put a sport bike front end on his bike straight across with no altered tripple trees. I had read the thread before but now i cant find it. I think that he was from out of the states.

I thought that someone on this forum had put a sport bike front end on his bike straight across with no altered tripple trees. I had read the thread before but now i cant find it. I think that he was from out of the states.

I know Ohlins and I think Otec offered a complete front end that included custom length forks and triple tree.

Jedi used a modified Harley front end which are available for less then many other brands. Then a few custom spacers and misc and it went on pretty simple for him,

Sean

Yamaha FZR 1000 Exup !992=1993 forks are inverted and the same length apparently. Lots of forums over here talk about a bolt on conversion, but obviously you need to change the internal as the Max is about 70kgs (180lbs) heavier.

Food for thought - but not sure if you guys got those over there?

Back