Different Thermostat?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robbarrie

Reaction score
Alternative to stock thermostat

Can anybody recommend a alternative thermostat for the Max. If you have used one from a Honda, Suzuki, Kawi, or another Yamaha model - I'm not paying what they want for this...If I can find one that fits and works at the same temp or lower.

I know I might be blowing in the wind here, but I thought, I had to ask.

Re: Can anybody recommend an alternative

I would remove it and take it to an auto parts store to match it up.$50 from Yamaha is bullshit.

Shawn

I think I'll rip it out today and give that a shot if nobody can give me a match. Actually $56. plus change. Can funds.

Has anybody ran without one at all... I want to try and see if it heats up like it was, if it does I've got other issues I need to look at.

You could pop the middle portion out and just use the ring that is left behind.
No thermostat at all is not a good idea, but creating a restrictor will work ok.
It will take longer to get to operating temp though.

I like the napa idea.I lost my rad cap once and found one just like the stock one at advanced auto.

Limey;

Thanks allot man, how did you find out about this. Under $10. yea,yea baby that's more like it......sweet.

Thanks to all who posted.

$56 for a thermostat??

I'm just about positive I replaced mine a couple years ago (I thought the bike was running too cool and figured the stat was stuck open, but the temp gauge behaved the same with the new stat.) and I don't remember paying THAT much for one. I might even have the old one around somewhere.

I have a buddy that works at the local Yamaha shop, so maybe he hooked me up with a good deal, though I forget. But there's no way I would have paid $56 for a new stat, so I must have gotten it for less than that.

Just got back from the Auto Parts Store. I got the Napa thermostat the # is 33708 this is the number they go by. However, there is a 156 in larger print on the box as well. So I assume this is the right one. It looks exactly like the pic on the D&M auto parts link that Limey gave me. I tested it in hot water on the stove at the same time as the original. This one opens before and allot faster. Is this good or bad ? We'll see how it works in the bike. I'll let you guys know.

Just got back from the Auto Parts Store. I got the Napa thermostat the # is 33708 this is the number they go by. However, there is a 156 in larger print on the box as well. So I assume this is the right one. It looks exactly like the pic on the D&M auto parts link that Limey gave me. I tested it in hot water on the stove at the same time as the original. This one opens before and allot faster. Is this good or bad ? We'll see how it works in the bike. I'll let you guys know.

Put a thermometer in the water at the same time so you know at what temp it opened...

Faster is good... If it opens too soon it could be too cool of a thermostat... A little cooler would be good though...:thumbs up:

Well the thermostat fit perfect, Buster, I think it should be made a sticky. So far, running great hasn't made it past half yet. I took it out on the main hwy this morning on my way home. I ran at 5K and the gage never budged. I'm a very pleased Maxer right now.... Time will tell, I need to give it a few more rides to be sure. However, it looks very promising right now ! :eusa_dance: :clapping: :punk: :banana: :cheers:

It is rated at 180. Looks different than stock, and the best part $16.11 Can funds and that's tax included ! Instead of $56.?? plus tax from the local stealers.....what a fuc'n rip off.

Keep us posted. I'm interested in your final results...thks

Dale

Gentlemen, what can I say....My work here is done..

The Limey

Re: Alternative to stock thermostat

It was very hot yesterday this was a good day to see if I could make it overheat. With the new Napa thermostat in the bike - the heat gage only once went above the halfway dot and returned to half fairly quickly too. ( if you look closely at the gage you'll see a very small dot ) it appears to be the half way point. I know Yamaha would not approve of this, but who in the hell cares ! My bike is a 93 ( way past it's warrenty ) and if it runs at half way on a hot day with a Napa rather than a genuine Yamaha one - so be it !

The coil in the OEM part was very heavy duty compared to the Napa, perhaps this is part of the reason it was failing - not sure nor could I give a shit either. I've had to keep a close eye on the gage and will probably do so for a while just to be sure.

Thanks again Limey for sharing this info. You saved me money, it fit perfect and it fixed my problem better than I expected. :punk: :clapping: :cheers:

It has now been a couple of weeks with the Napa replacement thermostat in the bike. We have had some nice hot weather and humid too. I'm glad to say this alternative works great. I have been watching the gage very closely and it has only once went over the half way point slightly.

I'll rate this a 10/10 and if anyone is having heat issues - This is the way to go ! I don't think the fan has ever kicked in, since I've put it in. I don't worry about it anymore. What so ever !

Last edited:
Hey all, I read on here of a few folk's who changed out the stock thermostat, used a 180 degree Napa one. Just looking for other peoples input on this whole idea, so send me your thoughts. Seems like this could be a good topic since all the others are about the Nissan fan switch, water wetter, or what not when it comes to cooling this beast down just a bit.

Hey all, I read on here of a few folk's who changed out the stock thermostat, used a 180 degree Napa one. Just looking for other peoples input on this whole idea, so send me your thoughts. Seems like this could be a good topic since all the others are about the Nissan fan switch, water wetter, or what not when it comes to cooling this beast down just a bit.

Instead of adding a thread lets just add to an existing one...:thumbs up:

Looks like Robbarrie really likes it!:thumbs up:

Instead of adding a thread lets just add to an existing one...:thumbs up:

Looks like Robbarrie really likes it!:thumbs up:

Sorry 4gasem, I'm just a Newbe, so please excuse me! Anyway, I haven't come across much of anything about this except on this site, thought it might be worth talking about some more.

Did this swap a month or two ago and WOW what a difference. Before the temp would get pretty close to the top end of the scale before the fan would start.

Now, it hits the middle of the gauge and stays there even when stuck in traffic and it's 32 degrees C outside

I'm a happy Camper :D :D :D

Just curious, if this is such a common issue (and it seems to be): Why hasen't Yamaha done something about it?

VMax owners want to know

Does anyone know the stock temp for the v-max thermostat? I just did some cross searching on the D&M site, that Napa 156 crosses for many other vehicles. Anyway, I did a cross check, found a brand called Beck Arnley has an upgrade to a 192 deg. stat. I'm wondering if this one would work good in the v-max as well, or if maybe Napa makes one the same.

Back