Different type of battery question.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sharky

Reaction score
Ok...I'm a bit short on space so the battery fitment will be interesting.
Could someone tell the smallest battery that will power the max ?
Or is it possible to hook up 2 seperate smaller ones ?
Cheers

Cheers

I would think a Shorai but still with 270 cca.

Dave

Cheers

That is a tough one- i would choose the best battery i could for the vmax as it requires a lot of attention in that area. A good battery at a great price is invaluable.
I would make room for it first.

You can wire 2 in parallel if needed, the only downside is that if one goes south the other will soon follow as it will be drained by the faulty one.

Went to my local Battery World store today. .they confirmed my fears.
Many Lithium are really not suitable. The shorai use the wrong sort.
The main man rides a fireblade and said no way would he risk it.
He then showed me the collection of burnt out motorcycle lithium batteries inc several shorai.
There is a circuit board that controls the charge equalising the charge..however the current from a bike can burn it out thus over charging the battery.
I've YouTube'd it...big fire....
I've had a reg/rec fail and get 18-20v at the battery...it literally exploded..and that was a lead acid yuasa.
Having had my custom fj1200 turn into a fireball I'm not keen on a repeat.

Apparently there are many different types of lithium.
The type the shop owner uses is Lithium iron phosphate which is a more stable form and can be used on motor vehicles.
I am researching the Aliant brand he uses.

I don't trust battery mart. They fed me BS in the past. Most of the guys on this forum do know what they are talking about. Pay attention. ...and they do sell shit

Doing my own research..as i have to cut into my ali fuel tank i want to get it right first time.
Can anyone give me measurements of the shorai ?
Can't find that info on their site.

Went to my local Battery World store today. .they confirmed my fears.
Many Lithium are really not suitable. The shorai use the wrong sort.
The main man rides a fireblade and said no way would he risk it.
He then showed me the collection of burnt out motorcycle lithium batteries inc several shorai.
There is a circuit board that controls the charge equalising the charge..however the current from a bike can burn it out thus over charging the battery.
I've YouTube'd it...big fire....
I've had a reg/rec fail and get 18-20v at the battery...it literally exploded..and that was a lead acid yuasa.
Having had my custom fj1200 turn into a fireball I'm not keen on a repeat.

Sharky why would Shorai make & sell a battery for a V-MAX with a 2 yr. warranty or any other bike for that matter if they wouldn't work. :ummm:

Doing my own research..as i have to cut into my ali fuel tank i want to get it right first time.
Can anyone give me measurements of the shorai ?
Can't find that info on their site.

66mm/2.60" 148mm/5.83 105mm/4.13

Dave

They have all the specs on their site. The battery type you are looking for is LiFePO4

I'm just trying to be 100% certain I'm putting the right battety in.
As I said before I may have to cut into my one-off fuel tank to fit it.
It's not I don't believe the forum members but one exploding battery and one burnt out custom bike is enough for me.maybe I'm being paranoid...but i don't want a lithium fire under my balls at 100mph !!

Thanks for the sizes.
I've also made contact with Aliant Batterys..they also do lithiums..currently checking out their specs.

I've been using a Battery Tender brand Lithium Iron I bought from Amazon for the past year. For my HD 107", still running strong. The lead acids I buy locally only last 2 years and almost cost the same.

So say the Lithium Iron do not work well in cold climates as they need to warm up a bit, but since I live in the Philippines, no issues with mine.

I've had my Shorai going on 2 years now and cranks better than when I brought a new stock Yuasa ever did.

So say the Lithium Iron do not work well in cold climates as they need to warm up a bit, but since I live in the Philippines, no issues with mine.

If you ever find a low crank condition because of low temps, just leave the key in the on position with your headlight on, for a couple if minutes..
This warms up the battery a bit internally.

This is also stated on thier web site, and,,, IT WORKS.. :biglaugh:

This is from Shorai FAQ.
Shorai FAQ on Cold Starting.jpg

I've been using a Battery Tender brand Lithium Iron I bought from Amazon for the past year. For my HD 107", still running strong. The lead acids I buy locally only last 2 years and almost cost the same.

At first glance, I thought there must be some mistake.....I mean, I've always referred to that technology as Lithium Ion, ....but then I looked it up on the internet. Low & behold, lithium iron batteries do exist....I saw it on the internet. Who knew? I learned something again today...never too old...:biglaugh:

lithium iron 2.pnglithium iron.png

Another downside to Litihum Iron batteries as that they must "warm up" before they produce full capacity. This is as simple as turning the key and letting the headlight shine for a minute or so, but IMHO that is a PITA! They are not cheap either. I'll stick to my AGM, thank you.

They are commonly referred to as LiFe batteries. They are generally used in a low discharge application as opposed to liPo's which can be discharged at a high rate. They are also slightly less voltage .

Matt

Latest posts

Back