Differential heat ?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

COP RUNNER

Reaction score
I JUST THOUGHT I WOULD RUN THIS BUY EVERYONE , AT THE BROWNIE RUN THERE WERE 12 BIKES ( NOT ALL MAX'S ) , SAL'S IS CHAIN DRIVE & NOT ALL ARE IN THAT PICTURE OF THE BROWNIE RUN ! BUT AFTER ONE OF THE RIDES I THOUGHT TO FEEL HOW HOT EVERYONES DIFFERENTIALS WERE AND ALL OF THEM WERE VERY HOT , I'D SAY ANOTHER 10-20 DEGS. YOU WOULDN'T BE ABLE TO KEEP YOUR HAND ON THEM ! EVEN MY BUDDIES SUZUKI BOULEVARD WAS THE SAME TEMP. , MY OTHER BUDDY HAS A 2005 HONDA VTX ALL CHROMED OUT & HIS WAS THE COOLEST BUY PROBABLY 20 DEGS. BUT WAS STILL PRETTY WARM ! AND AFTER TALKING TO EVERYONE WE ALL TORQUE OUR AXLE NUTS AT DIFFERENT FOOT LBS. MINE IS 85 FT. LBS, & ONE WAS ONLY 30 FT. LBS. BUT JUST AS HOT ! SO ITS DEFINITELY NOT THE AXLE TORQUE THATS MAKING THE HEAT ! JUST THOUGHT I'D PUT THIS OUT THERE ! I WAS GLAD ( AND SURPRISED ) THAT I THOUGHT TO DO THIS ! AT LEAST WE ALL KNOW THAT OUR DIFFERENTIALS GETTING HOT IS NORMAL !...:punk:

Funny you should mention that CR. I had a dragging feeling on my bike and when I came to a stop, I could feel like it was locking up. I thought the worst and thought I might have run my diff dry. It was warm but not hot, just like you observed. My rear rotor was HOT. Damn forward controls were not returning as it should causing the rear caliper to drag. Playing with the linkage did the trick. Heat is normal I am guessing. Really not much back there to damage with heat anyway is there?

shoulda seen tim running around checking everyones differential. definitely entertaining! it was almost like he saw a hot ass.. or was that mikeys?

This is somthing I never thought about .......

As long as the oil level was good there was no issue...

My last bike was shaft drive.....my cars and trucks are sharft drive....

Never gave temperature a thought........untill now......

Thanks alot:bang head:

:biglaugh:

Try the BG Ultra Guard. Mine runs a bit cooler with that.

I run Mobil1 but haven't noticed that it runs too hot to touch. I did have some metal bits in when i first changed 2 years ago. I ran it for 2 months with the Mobil1 and changed it again but didn't have the metal bits in it that time. I am going to change it this weekend when I change the engine oil so I'll see if it has any bits in it this time.
I think my buddy has a infa red thermometer and will have to have him geta reading sometime, might be intersting to compare. Probably not as interesting as seeing Coprunner running around checking them, but interesting nonetheless!:biglaugh:

good info tim,

all of the shaft drive bikes i have owned had hot rear ends.....:rofl_200:

Latest posts

Back