Differential Swaps between V-max models

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gleno

Reaction score
Are the differentials from 1985 to 2007 v-max models interchangeable?

The reason I ask is that the external castings on the diff housing i.e. the 'pumpkin' changed at about the time the front forks were upgraded.

Later housings are more robust (though some have casting floors).

So, Can you swap the pumpkins up or down the year models as a straight 'bolt on'? :ummm:

Yes... You can swap with any year differential...

Note: Excerpt from compatability list:

D. 96-07 Rear axle. Changed to 1/4" shorter axle. Washers also changed...

E. 96-07 Differential machined to accept shorter axle. Bears a surface to mount speedometer in housing. - this speedo pickup is seen on the Royal Star rear diffs (which bolts on and is 10% lower gear ratio). Would require leaving the pickup unit bolted in place. 86-93 Venture rear diffs are a direct interchange but the shock mount needs to be swapped over (or a new mount purchased and added to the Venture diff)

the earlier ones i believe the surface of the axle washer and the shock mount are level, not so much in later models though.

Yes... You can swap with any year differential...

Note: Excerpt from compatability list:

D. 96-07 Rear axle. Changed to 1/4" shorter axle. Washers also changed...

E. 96-07 Differential machined to accept shorter axle. Bears a surface to mount speedometer in housing. - this speedo pickup is seen on the Royal Star rear diffs (which bolts on and is 10% lower gear ratio). Would require leaving the pickup unit bolted in place. 86-93 Venture rear diffs are a direct interchange but the shock mount needs to be swapped over (or a new mount purchased and added to the Venture diff)

Thanks for the advice :clapping: Can you explain what D and E refer to :ummm: What is the compatability list you refer to:ummm:

Just tryin to do my part, like most others here... Great People are associated with this site...

Back