Difficulty shifting

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zaos

Reaction score
Hi, Ive posted quite a few posts on my 1989 vmax, Todays current issue is difficulty shifting. Usually gears are clunking into place under load but perfectly shift at a slow speed. I initially thought clutch but as I purchased a new clutch Ive realized that that shouldnt be the issue, due to the clutch being more of a slippage issue rather than a shifting issue. Ive bled the clutch fluid entirely and the engagement seems to be fine as its pretty far out from the handlebar. Seems to me like its a clutch adjustment issue but with it being a hydraulic clutch there is no adjustment so im lost. Any help?

Hi Zaos
Give MadMax a call He can tell you what your problem may be 203 5747859 Elizabeth
Is that the phone number for MadMax? If so I wouldnt want to call them unless they gave me permission, but thank you, Ill see if I can ask him specifically

Start by changing your oil. My bike and my best friend steve o’s bike let us know when we’re due for an oil change with clunky difficult shifting and finding neutral gets harder. An oil change restores smooth shifting.

Start by changing your oil. My bike and my best friend steve o’s bike let us know when we’re due for an oil change with clunky difficult shifting and finding neutral gets harder. An oil change restores smooth shifting.
Will do that today, Thank you.

Totally agree re: oil change - the tranny seems to be sensitive to not only the state of the oil, but even which oil you use. Something with good shear-resistance seems to stave off 'clunky tranny' oil change frequency

oh Apologies I did not know, Ill give them a call later today. Thank you
Hi Zaos.
Will love to know the response, cause or solution after the call If it’s possible
Sometimes I feel a rough-clunky 2nd to 3rd… and I’m searching causes or solutions in the forum when my work allows me.
Now I’m shifting slow and clear about 3500-4000rpm but sometimes feel this clonnkkk and vibration in my feet when change gear.
Thanks

I just did a oil change 15w-40 rotella t4 as many have said works greats, it feels as the downshifting has gotten smoother but the up shifting is still pretty clunky, I’m thinking it has to be the clutch springs? But I am unsure, my guess is the clutch isn’t disengaging properly

Is this a new problem or has it always been there?

If the latter and half plate is swapped for a full plate then the shift will be more clunky (and possibly rattle at idle).

Is this a new problem or has it always been there?

If the latter and half plate is swapped for a full plate then the shift will be more clunky (and possibly rattle at idle).
I bought this bike not too long ago buts it’s always been there since purchase, roughly 1-2k miles ridden

Is it difficult to change gear i.e. high lever effort required or the clunking as the gears engage that bother you?
If the latter then I would investigate the suggested cause made in my previous post.

Is it difficult to change gear i.e. high lever effort required or the clunking as the gears engage that bother you?
If the latter then I would investigate the suggested cause made in my previous post.
Its both that bothers me, but im mainly worried its going to ruin internals like the transmission. But I guess I would say the clunking is what worries me the most. I do have a new clutch set with the half plate so when I crack it open ill see how it goes then. Thank you.

The half-plate is there to ease engagement on change-down in shifting. I replace the half-width friction disc with a full-width one, and remove the wire hoop too. I'm no Mike Hailwood, but I can downshift at the proper time, and don't need the half-width friction disc. I believe I get more use out of the full-width disc.

I have that same issue with my 88. Hard shifting, hard to find neutral. I wonder if it might be related to the blown out oring issue in the oil system causing a loss of pressure. I have installed an oil pressure gauge to see. I haven't had a chance to run it and see. My question to those with more knowledge, can hard shifting be caused by a blown
oil system oring?
Hi, Ive posted quite a few posts on my 1989 vmax, Todays current issue is difficulty shifting. Usually gears are clunking into place under load but perfectly shift at a slow speed. I initially thought clutch but as I purchased a new clutch Ive realized that that shouldnt be the issue, due to the clutch being more of a slippage issue rather than a shifting issue. Ive bled the clutch fluid entirely and the engagement seems to be fine as its pretty far out from the handlebar. Seems to me like its a clutch adjustment issue but with it being a hydraulic clutch there is no adjustment so im lost. Any help?
Ith

Back