Dirty job, but somebody has to do it.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tothemax93

Reaction score
Mike Rowe, from the show "dirty Jobs" has been out in the media, talking about The United States, and jobs. He's not at all political, just talking about what he sees. It's a good listen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ls1YhhMHdNY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cC0JPs-rcF0

This fits what my life has been. I disliked school, I never went to college. What I did have was a great work ethic, and always did my best, at whatever I did. I'm in my 50's, but now, I'm in The highest paid trade in a major union road construction company. Bottom line is you have to be willing to do the work.

Good stuff......thank you for posting!!! All of it is very true.

I graduated in 1989.....and yes, I got pushed to collage...etc. I found my niche being a Paramedic....and the job was great (pay sucked.....etc..lol) but earned my stripes and now do industrial safety, and have made a pretty decent life for myself.

Right on the head!

I'm encouraging a few young people I know to take advantage of this situation but there seems to be a sizzling lack of desire to really do fucking anything other than the bare minimum to get by, if that. We are in a era where 4 year educations are giving up some ground to a workforce with some skills/willingness. I think I prefer this to what I remember in the 1980s where hordes of adults would appear at Hardee's to apply for every job that made the classified section.

We now live in a time where a young person with some ambition and willingness to don gloves and boots can essentially write his/her own check within a couple years. We have outgrown the old wisdom that tells us that everyone needs to get a formal education to avoid being a car wash attendant. From what I'm seeing here if someone is willing to go take an apprenticeship in a blue collar profession they can make a very handsome living. I could do a pages long rant on the experience I had trying to recruit CNAs that were even remotely reliable and not covered in ink.

Always been a huge fan of Rowe. Listen to his podcasts all the time. I grew up in a small town where most people went to vocational school to learn a trade they could apply at Ingall's Shipyard in Pascagoula, Mississippi. Most of our town 45 mins away depended on Ingalls. It showed me the power of a big employer and just how far it reaches.

When I was working in the industrial construction sector in 2010 I told the corporate people that they better be prepared to pay the piper to get skilled welders, pipe fitters etc in the next few years because of a huge skill shortage coming. The y poo pooed me and basically told me I was out of my mind. Now I hear they are paying better, however these guys in the industrial sector move to where the money is.

G

When I was working in the industrial construction sector in 2010 I told the corporate people that they better be prepared to pay the piper to get skilled welders, pipe fitters etc in the next few years because of a huge skill shortage coming. The y poo pooed me and basically told me I was out of my mind. Now I hear they are paying better, however these guys in the industrial sector move to where the money is.

G

It's one of the reasons I really admire the work of Jesse James. I don't think he and I would see eye to eye personally, but professionally he's a master and a student of shaping metal to his will. But not only does he constantly try to improve his skills in smithing, but respects the history of the trade. If you look at the tools and machines he uses, they are often relics of an era past, and not only does he still use them, but can tell you the story behind the machines and where they came from. I am always fascinated just to watch people like that at their trade. He's famous, but I know there's 1,000 other guys like him doing great work that we never hear about. Because that work might not be on some showroom motorcycle... it's great work behind the sheet rock or under the bridges we drive over every day.

Latest posts

Back