Dirty unreliable p.o.s.!!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thevmaxrider

Reaction score
How many of you have been bitten by the "You FINALLY fix one problem only to have another one pop up!" bug? I FINALLY got my oil leak problem fixed on Toxic:eusa_dance:, but now I have a charging issue:bang head: Rode into work today and Toxic DIED right at the Security gate and of course the battery is DEAD!!!! Have had NO charging issues until now. Geeeesh, when do I get to catch a break????

Man that sux.....better have it ready for Thunder! My rides too new, a mere 2800 miles so far on my 2005.

Good luck,

Mike

Am going to trailer Toxic home tomorrow, the blessing of having it parked inside of a Security area, and start troubleshooting. I am sure it is a connection issue, but have to make go through all of it to be sure. Have an R/R out of an FZ6 that will work if my regulator took a dump. Last weekend had 13.8v at idle so I think that when I took the stator out I must have messed up a connection putting it back in. Probably my fault, but much easier to blame the bike LOL. This is what I get for being in a hurry to try to get Toxic out for a ride.

As much as you've done with that bike Jim, I'm surprised you don't have more issues! lol

This too will be fixed and you'll probably make it better in the process...

Chris

LOL!! On the whole the bike works amazing, it's just when the human element, namely me, get's involved there seems to be issues that pop up. I am going to check it all out really good this week and see what is up. I honestly believe that during re-assembly this weekend I might have screwed up a connection somewhere, most likely a connector is not firmly hooked up. Am going to do another upgrade to the charging system while I am at it and remove a couple of connectors with hard wiring soldered connections. Just in case:biglaugh:

haha. ur far beyond the dark side.. u'd bitch slap the emperor.

Hmmmmmm nahhhhhh, no Michael Jackson jokes, but there is a particular correlation between Michael and Vmax's. Like Mike we all modify our Max's and once we start it never seems to end. I figure as long as my nose doesn't fall off and I don't look like a walking corpse I am good.:confused2:

Hmmmmmm nahhhhhh, no Michael Jackson jokes, but there is a particular correlation between Michael and Vmax's. Like Mike we all modify our Max's and once we start it never seems to end. I figure as long as my nose doesn't fall off and I don't look like a walking corpse I am good.:confused2:

:rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200:

How many of you have been bitten by the "You FINALLY fix one problem only to have another one pop up!" bug? I FINALLY got my oil leak problem fixed on Toxic:eusa_dance:, but now I have a charging issue:bang head: Rode into work today and Toxic DIED right at the Security gate and of course the battery is DEAD!!!! Have had NO charging issues until now. Geeeesh, when do I get to catch a break????

Its a darn good thing we like the max.:biglaugh: I think I've worked on mine, just as much as I've ridden it. And yes,..the problems just keep showing up one after another LOL. It is however, a very comforting thought, knowing Morleys Muscle is there for us, with a ton of parts. He's our 1 stop shoping center.
Hope you get your problim fixed,..and the good news is....we will all learn somthing from it.:biglaugh: Thanks in advance.

Well, here is the plan of attack for fixing the charging issue. My assumption, yes I know I shouldn't assume, is that there is either a connector or R/R problem. The plan is to test the stator, just to be sure it isn't the problem, remove the Venture R/R, graft a 05 ZX6R R/R (same part number as an R1 in the aftermarket world just different connectors) with the OEM wiring that came with it to Toxic. Am going to remove ALL the stock charging circuit wiring and connectors, solder the stator wiring to the harness wiring included with the ZX6 R/R, run the negative and positive outputs from the R/R directly to the battery, and the sensing wire will be wired in where the current one is. Thank God I have a friend with the ZX6R R/R and harness, best part is he only wants a case of beer for it!!!!:punk: Will keep everyone posted as to how well it works

Well, as much as I hate to admit it I was wrong in my assumption as to what was wrong..... Took the bike apart this morning and lo and behold I found my problem. One of the output wires from my stator had the insulation scraped off and was grounded out to the frame. So I was losing 1/3 of my charging capacity directly to ground:bang head: Worse yet I am sure I know how it happened and it was my fault:bang head::bang head:. So I rewired my stator outputs, installed the ZX6R R/R under the left scoop, and will be testing it shortly. I also rewired my R/R outputs directly to the battery and the sensing wire for the R/R is connected to switched power so it should work properly.

Will be testing this afternoon..... Wish me luck!:eusa_dance:

Did the same thing a few years back, went crazy trying to hunt down the problem till it jumped out at me when I took the cover off. I searched around for a suitable three wire connector so I could solder it clean and start over since I totally screwed the wires up, finally settled with two of these. Its a 4 plug but has good wire and snugs together really well for a tight seal, fits well under the middle gear cover too.

EDIT...Good luck!

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 11
Well, fired Toxic up and I am in a quandry. Voltage across the battery was 13.5v before I fired it up, went down to 12.3v at first startup, and after letting it idle for about 5 minutes was hanging around 12.5-12.6v at 1500rpm. Hooked up to the battery tender and the voltage jumped immediately to 13.2 and climbing. New R/R got hot very quickly for my money, but with the amp draw requirements I think that no matter what the R/R may just run hot no matter what. Thinking I may be ok as far as the bike not killing the battery, but I don't trust it yet. Any feedback from the guru's would be appreciated.

Lucky you didn't fry the stator....
Think of it this way - you were good and competent enough to find the problem. Didn't spend a ton of cash to fix it, and you got the new R/R, so hopefully this problem is behind you.

THEN, I read your last post. Musta been writing it same time as I was.
Was the battery in a state of low charge, things may have gotten warm because the system was dumping a heavy charge into the battery..

Back