DIY luggage rack

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StanVM2007

Reaction score
Well, after maybe 4 years since start, finally my Vmax has a luggage rack!
It's been random and chaotic from start till finish. Done from collected scrap and without the welding access I had briefly at the beginning.
I will 'beautify' it with time, maybe shave off some volume where not needed. And replace all the bolts to make everything more uniform.
I will install the little crossover part underneath the sissy bar, close to the seat. I already have it but kept it off to access the mounting bolts.

No complains right now. It's very solid and actually doesn't look bad in person when looking at the bike. I'm very pleased with this 'Frankenrack' :)

Now brainstorming about putting together support for side luggage bags. Still no idea what bags I will get, so not rushing it.

backrest01.jpg

The rack was supposed to be welded to the support brackets, but without access to a welding machine, for now I just used a couple bolts to hold it together. Even left like that, there will be no structural problems as I have solid aluminum bar support on each side. Doing it again, with different material and tools available or not, I'd design it a bit different. Maybe I'll make another one for a second Vmax?

backrest02.jpg

Last edited:
A good job.

I'd say the style is 'chunky,' but I suspect it is capable of carrying more weight than the OEM 6-pack rack, since that's about all it's rated for (the OEM). People should note the relocated rear signals. A bandsaw would be useful for making the brackets. Maybe some holes in the 'upside-down L brackets?' Style & function.
https://www.dentmagictools.com/rota...pSMAzK_5Y_-goLJfvGNB4Jyos8DYtsGkaAvB0EALw_wcB
1679884136158.png

Last edited:
I was afraid of the chunky look, but actually if you see it from a distance without the camera angle, it doesn't stand out in a bad way. Will have to take a photo of that.

Yes, the holes in the 'L' and maybe some curves - it's been on my mind. I'm holding back though until I have the mounting of side bags support figured out. I might even blacken the aluminum.

About counterbore, I'd love to do that but those pieces are not solid aluminum. They are 'U' shaped, with a but of a lip, and just 1.8 mm (0.07 inch) thick. They are part of window framing system. Because of the shape, very sturdy but thin and light. That's why I cut pieces of white 'plastic' they use for shimming frames for cladding panels and window frames. I'm not sure what they really are, but very durable. So, I had to use button head socket screws. I might change them for flat heads, but those I used work fine.

The most important thing is, the rack isn't ugly (it will be hidden anyway with a bag on it) and it is already very strong. I could easily carry a 24 pack on it plus some ice! Not that I will - I quit 5 months ago.

Delrin plastic is often used in fabrication, I wouldn't be surprised if your plastic was that. You can get Delrin sleeves for the round engine mount castings to tighten things up a bit, but they transmit more vibration, problematic for someone who has arthritis of the hands. The Yamaha Venture used plastic instead of rubber there.

Delrin plastic is often used in fabrication, I wouldn't be surprised if your plastic was that. You can get Delrin sleeves for the round engine mount castings to tighten things up a bit, but they transmit more vibration, problematic for someone who has arthritis of the hands. The Yamaha Venture used plastic instead of rubber there.

That's exactly what crossed my mind as well - delrin.

Back