Do A/F mixture scrwes wear out?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firefly

Reaction score
Do they wear out, rust, get clogged or is it just the rubber O-ring condition deteriorates?
I have 30K on the bike, never took them out yet but planning to do so this week end.
any comments appreciated.
Thanks.
________
ultimate fighter

Last edited:
Ibrahim,Are the plugs already drilled out?Soak them for a few days with penetrating fluid,alot of times they are siezed then they strip right out being only brass.Do not screw them in too tighly either.
I also have heard that going in at first is always easier since the threads are clean.

I had a siezed one that stripped on me before.It is not any fun to remove then.It took me 2 days to get mine fixed and running.Luckily A shop 30 miles from me happened to have one on the shelf.

they are not seized, I am having a very little engine irregularity just off idle,its not even considered hesitation, otherwise bike runs great.
Thanks.

shawn kloker said:
Ibrahim,Are the plugs already drilled out?Soak them for a few days with penetrating fluid,alot of times they are siezed then they strip right out being only brass.Do not screw them in too tighly either.
I also have heard that going in at first is always easier since the threads are clean.

I had a siezed one that stripped on me before.It is not any fun to remove then.It took me 2 days to get mine fixed and running.Luckily A shop 30 miles from me happened to have one on the shelf.
________
Fourth-generation Mustang

Last edited:
I think shooting carb cleaner in air passages is not a good idea since it will leave some residue that will attract small dust particles?

shawn kloker said:
Do the peashooter to it.
________
buy glass bongs

Last edited:
No. But the fuel passages do. Point is that it can happen anywhere. I've done the Peashooter a couple of times, no ill effects.

Carb cleaner will not leave any residue.

If you are worried follow it up with denatured alchohol......

I'm sure no one really wants to pull thier carbs but it is really a very easy job.

If you ever built a model car as a kid you can rebuild a carb....

With the carbs off the bike you can clean them to your hearts content, , blowing like hell through every passage on them.....

pulling the bowls usually means unracking them but the results are worth it...If I had 30,000 miles I would definetely take them down to the last screw and clean and re-assemble....

I did mine at 23k and the results were well worth it....

I totally agree with you, I am just delaying this untill it starts raining so I can have a few days with the bike parked.
I'll first try replacing all 4 A/F screws and see what condition they are in
If this doesn't do it a complete tear down will be in order.
Thanks

If you are worried follow it up with denatured alchohol......

I'm sure no one really wants to pull thier carbs but it is really a very easy job.

If you ever built a model car as a kid you can rebuild a carb....

With the carbs off the bike you can clean them to your hearts content, , blowing like hell through every passage on them.....

pulling the bowls usually means unracking them but the results are worth it...If I had 30,000 miles I would definetely take them down to the last screw and clean and re-assemble....

I did mine at 23k and the results were well worth it....[/quote]
________
volcano vaporizers

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back