Do Final Drive Bearings Go Bad?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maximus speedicus

Reaction score
So, quick question here: has anyone ever had a final drive bearing go bad? The reason I'm asking is because when I put my max on the center stand and rotate the tire it's rather hard to rotate and you can hear what definitely sounds like a bad bearing. I know it is not the wheel bearing as I just replaced those and the sound still persists. Any expertise?

I'm no expert, but Mine had a very noticeable growl around 4000 rpm. I just changed the unit.

I'm no expert either, but there will be some resistance when spinning by hand. I think it has also been discussed about it being normal for the rear drive to make clicking noises when rotating. Bearings do go bad though, especially if over torqued.

Last edited:
The Vmax Pumpkin is near bullet proof if treated right. I've swapped out some very old ones for rartio purposes, and never an issue. Like Bob mentioned, a bearing can always go bad. I have always used Synthetic gear oil in mine and change it yearly. Axle torque at about 30 ft lbs here.
Steve-o

The nut backs off where the driveshaft goes in & it makes a nice growl when that happens. If you pull the diff & take the driveshaft out you can se the nut. I would suggest making sure its tight.

The nut backs off where the driveshaft goes in & it makes a nice growl when that happens. If you pull the diff & take the driveshaft out you can se the nut. I would suggest making sure its tight.

when you pull the diff, does the drive shaft come out with it? looking at other posts it seems getting the drive shaft reinstalled is a PITA.

i had a v65 that was shaft drive and it didn't take nearly as much effort to spin the wheel. is my best bet just to get a venture final since I'm looking to drop some rpms anyway? if so who on here sells them at a price that wont hurt?

when you pull the diff, does the drive shaft come out with it? looking at other posts it seems getting the drive shaft reinstalled is a PITA.

i had a v65 that was shaft drive and it didn't take nearly as much effort to spin the wheel. is my best bet just to get a venture final since I'm looking to drop some rpms anyway? if so who on here sells them at a price that wont hurt?
The driveshaft pulls right out with it. Its not bad to put back in. I have a venture drive needs a shock stud installed & a cover for the speedo censor. $ 125 Shipped.

When I broke my driveshaft this happened to me, it's easy to check.. I used an impact with the torque turned down to tighten mine because there's really no good way to torque it, been holding up fine so far (knock on wood)

Latest posts

Back