Do you expect me to talk?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I saw them from Goldfinger in chronological order. After seeing Goldfinger, I saw Dr. No and From Russia With Love. While I liked all of them, even Timothy Dalton, I preferred Sean Connery. Daniel Craig I think has done a good job. I have no complaints about Pierce Brosnan.

Special Executive for Counter-Intelligence Terrorism, Revenge and Extortion: SPECTRE, the bad guys, also SMERSH, Rosa Klebb almost ended James Bond after Robert Shaw was narrowly-defeated.

My co-worker from fire-rescue, his father is one of the frogmen in Thunderball. He's credited in the movie.

Nice story man, been watching Bond movies since I was a kid.
In From Russia With Love, Bond is to acquire a Russian cryptographic machine, like the Enigma German WW II cryptographic tool, which led to a huge operation giving us one of the first computers, trying to decode the German Enigma transmissions. That's a great story itself, watch The Imitation Game for more info: The Imitation Game (2014) - IMDb Bletchley Park in the U.K. is where that first computer was built & operated, made-of thousands of electromagnetic relays, big as a room, and every time it was switched-on, some of them would fail. But it eventually allowed us to read secret German war cables and wireless transmissions, and it helped us to plan for D-Day and what happened in Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

The machine in From Russia With Love is more the size of a portable typewriter, and Bond has to meet the beautiful Russian female agent to secure the code machine, and transport it from Istanbul to the U.K. Robert Shaw plays another faux British agent, he's a Russian operative whose orders are to re-acquire the code machine and to kill 007.

Interestingly, after beginning the 007 series, Ian Fleming ordered a gold-plated Royal typewriter, and used that to write his works. He bought it with the profits from his early James Bond writings. Interestingly, Ian Fleming had contact with people at Bletchley Park, as he was a WW II operative in British Intelligence, as was his older brother, Robert Peter Fleming, who is presumed by some to be the source of inspiration for 007. RPF was also a British Intelligence operative during WW II.

This is the Royal typewriter model Ian Fleming used.

Ian Fleming Royal gold plated portable typewriter.jpeg

That’s a nice typewriter.

But, much like a camera, it is truly only as effective as the human who uses it. The good news, in Fleming’s case, is that he put his to good use.

Man I was on a five man ranger team in the early 70s we used an an hrs 71 coder burst for secure coms, that stuff is in the crypto museum now.

Latest posts

Back