Do you think my problem were my plugs???

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EAGLEPI

Reaction score
HI Guys,

If you read my post from the last few days you would have saw I was having problems starting my VMAX after the winter storage. I drained most of the gas and added new gas and was able to start it and drive it home about 3-4 miles and when I got home it was ruining much better but still rough.

After removing the plugs I'm sure it was because of the fouled plugs but then again one plug looked new, strange to me but then again I don't know anything about this stuff. what do you guys think about these plugs? and do you think a new set and new gas should be the fix???

plugs.jpg

Bottom two look great! Top two look WAY rich...

IMO the bottom right looks unused. Heck even the crush washer looks like new. Make sure you're torquing them correctly.

the same thing happend to me your crush washer on your left front dosen,t look crushed compare with others.i belive my float was stuck shut i taped the side of the carbs and restared added some seafoam to the fuel back in businiess your left front lookes as if it just come out of the box.the rest look about right for the short ride tap the left front carb if that dosen,t work unscrew the drain on the carb bowl see if fuel comes out you might try that first hope this helps

Last edited:
Thanks,

I just put the new plugs in and took it for a ride and as long as I am going above 2000 rpms it is ok not perfect but when I come to a stop it wants to stall and it pops.

I will do what you guys suggest, will drain all the gas from bowls and tank and then add all new gas, then sees what happens. I'll tap on all the carbs to see if anything is stuck.

I can't tell you how sick this make me........

I would say that the left front plug isn't firing at all. If it was you should see some signs of light carbon. How many miles on those plugs?

im almost sure its just a stuck float don,t loose heart youll get it taken from the box no gas residue on plug didn,t realize i was so funny???

Thanks,

I just put the new plugs in and took it for a ride and as long as I am going above 2000 rpms it is ok not perfect but when I come to a stop it wants to stall and it pops.

I will do what you guys suggest, will drain all the gas from bowls and tank and then add all new gas, then sees what happens. I'll tap on all the carbs to see if anything is stuck.

I can't tell you how sick this make me........

I'm thinking you threw in a pic of a brand new, never used plug just to test the forum.

Also, I see a pea-shooter routine in your near future if that popping under 2k doesn't improve within the next several miles. That, and make sure you are all synched up correctly after doing the pea-shooter.

I used SeaFoam for my pea shooter routine this past weekend (I've always used Berryman B-12 in the past) and it seemed to clear things up quickly - that and backing out the air/fuel mix screws clear to 5 full turns out to get rid of the hesitation coming off idle. (alcoholic gas syndrome?:confused2:)

OK well I have no idea what you are talking about "pea shooter" These carbs were rebuilt by Sean Morley and I installed them and synced the using carbtune and everything was fine.

I didn't take a pic of a new plug I can assure you. and before I putthe bike in storge I had it running perfect all carbs were synced.

MY next plan is to drain all the gas out of the bowls and tanks and check the carbs again.

Once I get this back to runnning normal someone is going to get a hell of a deal cause I will lower my selling price, if you're looking let me know...

I'm sure Sean does a magnificent job of building carbs. But after allowing gas to set in them during an extended period...........stuff happens.

Stuff happens means you may need to clean those idle circuits using the "pea-shooter" method.

There are whole threads on here relating to the pea-shooter. It's fast. It's simple and kinda fun to do - especially when it results in a smoother running Max.

Resynching carbs can't be done too often. And it never hurts to recheck sync any time you are tuning. They can be different one day to the next. Don't ask me why.

Ps, I was kidding about the new plug pic. You just didn't see me grinning as I typed.

Try running some Seafoam in your gas. Hopefully that will loosen up whatever is clogging your jet on low end.

check the left front bowl first if you will .also if you can if the tapping didn,t work remove fuel line from left front carb and using a spare piece of fuel line install to left carb and blow thruogh it with drain plug removed from carb if you cant blow through it fuel can,t either best of luck poppop

I'm sure Sean does a magnificent job of building carbs. But after allowing gas to set in them during an extended period...........stuff happens.

Stuff happens means you may need to clean those idle circuits using the "pea-shooter" method.

There are whole threads on here relating to the pea-shooter. It's fast. It's simple and kinda fun to do - especially when it results in a smoother running Max.

Resynching carbs can't be done too often. And it never hurts to recheck sync any time you are tuning. They can be different one day to the next. Don't ask me why.

Ps, I was kidding about the new plug pic. You just didn't see me grinning as I typed.

Sorry I missed your grin, not in the mood so it's easy to miss a lot........lol OK I know I can do a search on pea shooter and every thread that has the word "pea shooter" in it will show up.

By chance you don't happen to have the direct link that explains how to do it?

Thanks

LMAO.........like I am going to take my carbs apart, nope not going to happen.. thanks for the link though I asked for it. didn't realize what it was. Like many times on this forum you have a simple problem and some suggest the most major of fixes.. I like tapping on the carbs myself.......lol because I know what condition the bike was in when it went into storage and that was running perfect.

And since I am selling the bike I just want to get it running good again, if I have to I'll send the carbs to Sean again and pay him to look at them... I DON'T get into those kind of repairs......

LMAO.........like I am going to take my carbs apart, nope not going to happen.. thanks for the link though I asked for it. didn't realize what it was. Like many times on this forum you have a simple problem and some suggest the most major of fixes.. I like tapping on the carbs myself.......lol because I know what condition the bike was in when it went into storage and that was running perfect.

And since I am selling the bike I just want to get it running good again, if I have to I'll send the carbs to Sean again and pay him to look at them... I DON'T get into those kind of repairs......

You don't have to take the carbs apart. His are for clarity. Pop your airbox and look straight down, you'll see all the bits he's talking about. You'll read in the instructions, he's talking about running the engine. obviously the carbs are not taken apart and still are on the engine.:punk:

After you take off the airbox, this is where you use the syringe to inject the seafoam or what ever you want to use.

Attachments

• shotgun10.jpg
    shotgun10.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 29
Fill up with fresh fuel. Put in some seafoam, or BG or Berrymans or whatever floats your boat. Ride it for a day instead of pissing with it and see if it all goes away. Chances are real good that just might happen.

I plan to do that but first I want to drain out ALL the old gas in the tank and bowls... Then I will do that, I agree do the small stuff first..

By chance does anyone know what size the fuel lines are, what size hose??

Back