Does synthetic oil cause slipping clutch?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,

Since I use Motul 7100 4T full synthetic engine oil, the clutch slips at full acceleration. Did anyone experience this also?
The company where I bought the bike told me that this could occure, I ignored it because I didn't understand the reason why it should happen...the seller advised to use half synthetic oil....

I'm curious to read your experiences.....

Use diesel engine oil, like Rotella 15w40. Don't use full synth.

Ignore me. I just noticed you were talking about 2nd Gen. Then again, a wet clutch does not like friction modifiers, no matter what.

Last edited:
Hi all,

Since I use Motul 7100 4T full synthetic engine oil, the clutch slips at full acceleration. Did anyone experience this also?
The company where I bought the bike told me that this could occure, I ignored it because I didn't understand the reason why it should happen...the seller advised to use half synthetic oil....

Never had an issue using Mobil 1 20w50. I'm on my second gen 2 and have probably ridden a combined 20k miles on the two.

I also had two gen 1's using the same oil with no problems.

Last edited:
Hi all,

In my experience, even using double-d clutch spring, when I used the Motul 7100 full synthetic, I felt the clutch slip when I quickly accelerated.

Thanks guys, like jack wrote I always trusted Motul as a top-engine oil....
Now I have to find a new brand....enough suggestions in any case 😊

Shell rotella T6 15w 40. Only time I had clutch slippage was after the nash flash…. Double D mod and that went away. I tried using Valvoline 10w 40 motorcycle oil, but it would get hung in gear and lock up. Only way I could get it to shift was to stop and cut the engine off. Went back to shell and no problems since then. 2018 with 12,000 miles. I’m on my 5th rear tire…. With no slipping.

I use Amsoil Dominator 15W50 (it's marketed as race oil but it works really well in motorcycle engine / transmissions--shifts nicely and seems to lubricate well as oil analyses come back good) in my gen2 with a Guru flash and the double D clutch mod. No slipping. Hell, the bike will loft the front tire a few inches under throttle only in first gear.

Back