doesnt want to start !

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamie g

Reaction score
hello guys and girls heres the issue the first start everyday or other day bike wont start unless the choke is down sometimes while trying to start it will back fire now and then i live in central fla it is garage kept so coldness sint an issue its very frustrating it should just turn key hit start and sound like a bat out of hell ready to rip the streets ?? any ideas thk you so much

You want the bike to be lean where the choke is needed to start it. If you don't need choke then you are almost always too rich. Especially if the bike isn't already fully warmed up.

not an issuse when bike has been running allday stopping here stopping there its 24-48 hrs of sitting wont start without choke ? thanks

Vmax1700 will not start. When you push the start button everything shuts down ,if you now disconnect and reconnect the battery your electrics return.new battery and checked the starter motor which works .is it the ecu. Thanks jeff

Completely normal
ok CK 1 more thing with this beast runs like a bat out of hell but latley 10 miles down the road bike will bogg down and then cant start like its not getting fuel ??? gotta wait couple of hrs to only go another 8-10 miles ??? and same thing ???

If it cranks but doesn't have juice to the sparkplugs, it's probably a bad pickup coil by the rotor, at the left side of the crankshaft. Check the resistance on the wires from the pickup coil. You have an intermittent short which goes 'open' (no continuity, infinity reading) and with the passage of time, components cool, allowing the connection to give you continuity, and the resistance will now be OK.

This is why it's a good idea to put your year of bike in your signature line, that way we can post data about the system you have. 1985-'89 have 5 wires & two pickup coils, 1990-'07 have 2 wires and one pickup coil.

VMax electrical ignition box.png

VMax primary coil-pick-up coil resistance.pngVMax pick-up coil 1990-2007 late models 2 wires.jpgVMax pick-up coil 1985-89 early models 5 wires.jpg

Last edited:
wow bro incredible info thk you so and im sorry it is a 85 i will look into that thks again

what a shit head im sorry dont have the 85 anymore its my 88 with a stage 7 and a 4 into 1 hotshot exhaust

ok looking for this pick up coil assy and it is no where to found looking for help please team thk you!

Sean Morley [email protected] is who can help steer you to spare parts. The OEM are very expensive, and he can probably offer you something, possibly used. You want to ensure that's your problem, the ignition pickups, because these are $$. Sean has a kit of electrical parts he sends out, you replace things 1 at a time, to see what fixes your bike, and you pay for that. That's probably the most definitive way to fix your issue, for the shade-tree mechanic. Obviously, an experienced mechanic executing diagnostic tests using factory troubleshooting procedures and the service manual is the best way. That's why I urge members to add their bike year and their location, you may find someone willing to help you, or who can recommend a reliable professional within travel distance.

You can swap a 1990-'07 ignition into a 1985-'89 bike, but it won't be cheap, as you need the later wire harness, the later ignition/electrical rotor, a later ignition pickup, a later TCI box or an Ignitech ignition box, and the knowledge to do it.

I forget where you are in Florida? If you add your location below the avatar, and your bike year in your 'signature' area (click on your screen name, upper-right page) that helps people to help you.

hello guys and girls heres the issue the first start everyday or other day bike wont start unless the choke is down sometimes while trying to start it will back fire now and then i live in central fla it is garage kept so coldness sint an issue its very frustrating it should just turn key hit start and sound like a bat out of hell ready to rip the streets ?? any ideas thk you so much
Hi Jamie
I was having the same prob . After a good clean of the filter and new plugs, the prob disappeared try that, and good luck

Sean Morley [email protected] is who can help steer you to spare parts. The OEM are very expensive, and he can probably offer you something, possibly used. You want to ensure that's your problem, the ignition pickups, because these are $$. Sean has a kit of electrical parts he sends out, you replace things 1 at a time, to see what fixes your bike, and you pay for that. That's probably the most definitive way to fix your issue, for the shade-tree mechanic. Obviously, an experienced mechanic executing diagnostic tests using factory troubleshooting procedures and the service manual is the best way. That's why I urge members to add their bike year and their location, you may find someone willing to help you, or who can recommend a reliable professional within travel distance.

You can swap a 1990-'07 ignition into a 1985-'89 bike, but it won't be cheap, as you need the later wire harness, the later ignition/electrical rotor, a later ignition pickup, a later TCI box or an Ignitech ignition box, and the knowledge to do it.

I forget where you are in Florida? If you add your location below the avatar, and your bike year in your 'signature' area (click on your screen name, upper-right page) that helps people to help you.
1988 vmax tricked out and i live in central fl . thank you so much

try to put the gas switch on res mode all the time.

Back