Double clutch spring

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The double diaphragm disc clutch mod is inexpensive, easy, and effective if you're drag racing, but it's overkill around town. I prefer the PCW heavy-duty single disc diaphragm clutch spring replacement.

Inhave it and love it... Was free since I had the stock spring from my 2002 RSV. I also did the same to my buddy's 1999 Road Star 1600. It's a stiffer pull for sure but not bad if your a man.

I guess people install second new spring and keep old weak spring. So all together they get 150% strength of new one.

If you not building a bike for all out performance I'd stay away from the DD mod.
Cheap and easy but, can lead to snapped driveshaft or, worse, pending on mods an how hard you ride.
Removing the wire from the clutch basket, the half size friction plate, the clutch boss spring, and spring seat, and replacing with a full size friction plate adds enough grip for most guys. If you want more, you can hit sean up for a PCW clutch spring. Its stronger than stock but, not as strong as the DD.

It doesn't make sense to you because you are just getting into the Vmax world. The DD mod has been around for 35+ years and worked great for many many owners. It does eliminate slippage completely and moves to other weak points. Though driveshafts can snap it's very rare. Rare enough that shafts are cheap and plentiful.
The stock spring doesn't get "weak" but anywhere near that percentage. MAYBE losing 5-10% at most of it's original holding power (and that's a big maybe).

I used to have the DD but switched to a Barnett type coil spring plate and instead of the heavy duty springs went the next size up and used their 99lb springs. Works fine for me

Makes my left hand strong.... Lol. I like knowing that I don't get ANY slip just nice firm shifts and engagement. You get used to it.

Latest posts

Back