Downpipes Clanging

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VBurr

Reaction score
I've read some posts here that talk of downpipes making a clanging sound. My (new to me) ninety-three is making a similar sound. Upon inspection I can see that at one time someone went over a curb and dinged the pipes. So, I got out the mechanics stethoscope and sure enough the clanging is coming from the downpipes. I really don't want to remove them and search far-and-wide for a welder. I'm thinking of workarounds. One thought is to drill small holes through the first layer of the pipe (just 2 or 3 at the rear end of the downpipe) and then push in muffler cement and use small stainless screws to solidify the inner pipe. Any thoughts on this approach?

If the inner pipe has become separated, there's really no fixing it without comple removal and welding.

Your idea isn't going to do anything but screw up your outer pipe.

It really doesn't take much to pull the exhaust. I'd pull it and take it to a muffler shop and have them weld it appropriately.

Or just buy a new set of pipes.

You'll wind up doing it anyway and you won't waste time and money and deal with the frustration and disappointment when the jury rig doesn't work.

Just use a punch to put the two pipes in-contact with a sharp rap or two.

If you use the search function, you can find others who have faced the same issue and the solution was just that, a rap or two on the pipes, in an inconspicuous location.

Thanks for the recommendations. Given that the pipes look like they have been across a curb once or twice, I wasn't worried about damaging them a bit more... three strategic taps with a mallet (just enough to dent the outer layer) along the bottom back end of the header ended the racket! I'll replace them one day soon as well.

Latest posts

Back