Dragging my side stand in corners

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlowBox

Reaction score
Any way to fix this? The first time it happened was in my neighborhood and it drug it so hard it bent the tit a little bit. Happened again this morning coming in to work but not as bad. I don't feel like I'm riding that hard, but I guess I need to slow down a little until I can either mod the kickstand, or get a different one.

Dang man, you must be really leaning it over. Is the spring holding it all the way up when upright?

I used to ride sport bikes and got into the habit of knee dragging but I haven't clipped the stand on my Max yet but I ride it more like a cruiser than a sport.

I had mine over enough have crash bars scrape little along with a peg but never the kickstand. Is it possible that it is out of alignment?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Get rid of the center stand. I was closer to 300 pounds than to 200 pounds most of my Vmax life. If you need to use the center stand for service, it's easy enough to slid the bolts back in to use it.
I wouldn't change anything on the bike if you don't have to.

I wonder if the center stand is loose in some way. You hit a bump or something, and it tends to fall down? I would try to tighten it up.

He said side stand, I don't think the center stand is an issue.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Sorry typo....ment side stand....if the spring is stretched...or isnt as taut as it should be....it would allow it to fall down easily.

LOL....thats what I get for multitasking at work.....

It's leaning pretty good, but I don't feel I should be dragging parts just yet. I still have 1/4" of chicken track on the rear and 3/8" on the front. Everything looks and feels tight and in the right place. Here's a pic of the stand stowed...

^ That looks just like my Side stand did before I repainted it.
I just learned not to not lean quite so far in the twisties.

Twisties? In Wichita Falls?

How much side to side play do you have at the bolt Troy? Any chance you are only dragging when leaning AND hitting a good bump at the same time?

My bad reading center stand. Duh!.
My side stand looks like that too. It means you are doing it right but my
Butthole puckers everytime I do it. Those are respectable chicken strips. I've huge fat ones on some local Maxes. Maybe get the local welder weld up the the whole arm that the little ball is welded to at a more upward angle?

There was a time when I had something hit when I came off a split piece of concrete in a lean and Steve and I figured out it was the center stand bouncing down. This is different, it's on smooth road. I'll check the play and see about a loose nut but I'm thinking of heating the tit and bending it up where I can still get to it, or just cutting it shorter and rounding it off.

Did you buy your bike used?
If so, could the suspension already been lowered, putting the sidestand closer to the ground?
Bike was used, suspension is stock. Verified when I did the fork seals before Eureka Springs.

I really appreciate all the input everyone. You have a great thing going here on the VMF.

Looks bent and maybe twisted? I don't have an up close pic to compare? Anyone else have one?

I would say we pushed the bike pretty hard a time or two in Eureka Springs a couple of weeks ago and did drag the stand hard one time (hard enough to push us out of the "line" and to the very edge). Had to slow up just a bit. Of course we're riding two up and my bike is stretched and lowered a bit.

It looks to be a slightly different angle than mine.

20140614_215717.jpg

20140614_215551.jpg

If you have the forks slid up in the triples a bit......that can be enough, doesn't take much to lose cornering clearance.

Now I have a new goal! I used to do this on my Shadow ACE, though it was pegs, and not the sidestand, and that was with the back end lifted a half inch. Maybe if the back end had not have been lifted, it might have been low enough to catch the sidestand.

The only time I ever dragged the sidestand was on a 125 Eliminator, and I suspect those bikes are easier ones to do that with. I would love to see just how far your leaning over in the curves! XD

I used to love to see how long it would take me to grind down the nipples on the underside of my pegs on my 2001 ZX7R, usually only about 2 months then I would replace them and start all over. Wow it was fun to be that careless and not care about consequences. I would drag my pegs around just about every corner...those were the days.

Back