Drain Cock Assembly and Starter Clutch Rebuild

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kwarnke

Reaction score
OK guys...I am so frustrated. I successfully changed the starter, clutch assembly, 3 new bolts (the old ones were looser than a tijuana crack whore), both crankcase gaskets, put back together. I also bought a new Drain Cock Assembly and Thermostat. The part where the drain cock goes into the thermostat housing is leaking. there is just a little O ring, is that what holds the coolant in? Second. I fired the bike up and its purring like a kitten, but I didnt try to put it in gear...do I need to do anything before I even try to ride it, as far as the starter clutch assembly and all that. thanks in advance.

OK guys...I am so frustrated. I successfully changed the starter, clutch assembly, 3 new bolts (the old ones were looser than a tijuana crack whore), both crankcase gaskets, put back together. I also bought a new Drain Cock Assembly and Thermostat. The part where the drain cock goes into the thermostat housing is leaking. there is just a little O ring, is that what holds the coolant in? Second. I fired the bike up and its purring like a kitten, but I didnt try to put it in gear...do I need to do anything before I even try to ride it, as far as the starter clutch assembly and all that. thanks in advance.
Yes the o-ring keeps the coolant in...I believe there is a little strap attached to the drain cock pipe that bolts to the stat housing holding everything in place.

Yes the o-ring keeps the coolant in...I believe there is a little strap attached to the drain cock pipe that bolts to the stat housing holding everything in place.
Yeah there is. I forgot to order the damn o ring. My fault. But what’s troubling me is it won’t go into gear now. I didn’t mess with the gear box. Only the starter clutch. I checked the cables and bled it a hair and it still won’t go into gear. What the heck?

Yeah there is. I forgot to order the damn o ring. My fault. But what’s troubling me is it won’t go into gear now. I didn’t mess with the gear box. Only the starter clutch. I checked the cables and bled it a hair and it still won’t go into gear. What the heck?
Take a look at your star segment and the arms.

If this is without the motor running (and I appologise in advance if I'm stating the bleedin' obvious) have you tried rocking the back wheel; sometimes the dogs will butt up against each other and prevent shifting.

Yeah guys it was me. I had to take the clutch lever off to take the crankcase cover 2 off and I put it back on wrong and that’s what did it. I do have another issue. I bought a new one. Sometimes when I turn the throttle it’s almost like it’s out of gas. Other times it’s perfect. At highway speed I give it throttle and again. I changed plugs, gas filter. Air filter. At this point it has to be the carbs. It has a cobra exhaust and I wonder if he did anything to the carbs when he put thst exhaust on. Is there anyway to test the carbs without having to bring it in. All the shops around me are 6-8 weeks backed up.

Back