Dreaded fuel tank rust

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donnelly317

Reaction score
I just bought a 85 with a 97 PCW 1260 engine and a MADMAX rear end. I was told by the local yamaha dealer to look at fuel filter for rust because the VMAX is known to have rust problems expectially with the stupid ethonal. I asked the owner about it and he said he has had no problems... Well just my luck i looked at the filter and its got a decent amount of rust :bang head: what to do now????????? my friend is a welder/fabricator and he said we could posibly replace part of it with stainless. Anyone know of anything to do without taking the tank out? can i add a additional filter to get me through the year? thanks:confused2:

Personal experience (my was kept at lake front property before i got it so it was really badly rusted) you will never kill this problem without removing that tank one way or another.

What Ive done=POR15 tank coating. Going on 5 years without trouble and its easier to do than "Kreem".

Put powerfull magnets all over the tank and on the fuel filter.

Hope it helps.

The tank isn't all that had to get out. Pull it and get it sealed! If you're in buffalo,NY it ain't like you're gonna be racking up the miles in the next couple weeks.

Personal experience (my was kept at lake front property before i got it so it was really badly rusted) you will never kill this problem without removing that tank one way or another.

What Ive done=POR15 tank coating. Going on 5 years without trouble and its easier to do than "Kreem".

Put powerfull magnets all over the tank and on the fuel filter.

Hope it helps.

put magnets as in to catch any future rust???? ill check out the POR15

The tank isn't all that had to get out. Pull it and get it sealed! If you're in buffalo,NY it ain't like you're gonna be racking up the miles in the next couple weeks.

haha i know but i was hoping to spend time updating forks right away and just really hoping i dont have to mess with carbs once spring hits....

I understand that it is a pain to remove the tank BUT.....

....you should listen to that voice at the back of your mind trying to remind you that it WILL cause problems and they WILL happen miles from home and you WILL have forgotten your mobile and the nearest pay-phone WILL be out of order!

Do it now then you can forget all about it.

You will kick yourself if you don't go after this issue aggressively 317....POR-15 is a great product and not that hard to use....I would also check the price of a new tank, it may not be that much more.

Also, plan on pulling the carbs and giving them a good cleaning/rebuild....if there is rust in the filter there is most likely rust in the carbs too.

Winter is going to get here sooner or later....there's plenty of time to get the carbs & forks done before riding season hits.

I agree with you both.. depending how bad the tank it I might get a new one but then the tank had to be modified to fit the chain drive... it doesn't look to bad inside the tank I probably should be able to salvage it. Thanks guys

put magnets as in to catch any future rust???? ill check out the POR15

Yess'ir...thats what I did. I can make absolutely no claims as to weather or not that does ANYTHING at all, BUT my bikes been running like a champion since and the magnets cant be seen without taking off the seat or sides bla bla bla.

No harm no foul. :biglaugh:

No "future rust" has occurred in my tank since the POR15 but It never hurts to be cautious

I just bought a 85 with a 97 PCW 1260 engine and a MADMAX rear end. I was told by the local yamaha dealer to look at fuel filter for rust because the VMAX is known to have rust problems expectially with the stupid ethonal. I asked the owner about it and he said he has had no problems... Well just my luck i looked at the filter and its got a decent amount of rust :bang head: what to do now????????? my friend is a welder/fabricator and he said we could posibly replace part of it with stainless. Anyone know of anything to do without taking the tank out? can i add a additional filter to get me through the year? thanks:confused2:

My filter turns orange fast from the ethanol in fuel in the Northeast.I think the book calls for 15k change? It is almost the color of rust, but isn't rust (in my case). I change the filter at least every season, or when it starts to look orange at 4-5k. I'm not saying your tank is good. But,there are lots of good products out there if the tank is rusting. I used Kareem with great success on another bike. Marine inboard filters look terrible on their yearly change with chunks of orange crap in the secondary filter housing, though conditions are worse in that case I'll admitt.
The best thing a new Vmax owner can do is find someone from this forum to help them out with issues like these. Someone close to go riding with is cool too.
Steve

Take a good look inside the tank with a flashlight - if you see any rust, treat the tank (POR15) or replace it!

Only way to go, no filter can stop the fine rust dust, and it will wreak havoc in the carbs.

Take a good look inside the tank with a flashlight - if you see any rust, treat the tank (POR15) or replace it!

Only way to go, no filter can stop the fine rust dust, and it will wreak havoc in the carbs.

Speaking of the carbs. Did you drain them into a clean glass jar? Agree, address the problem if you have it or it'll happen at a bad time. pm'd Ya

Speaking of the carbs. Did you drain them into a clean glass jar? Agree, address the problem if you have it or it'll happen at a bad time. pm'd Ya

yes i did. And i did look inside doesnt look the greatest but also doesnt look horrible.. I ordered my self metal rescue and POR15 today atleast i got a 3 day weekend to work on her :eusa_dance:

yes i did. And i did look inside doesnt look the greatest but also doesnt look horrible.. I ordered my self metal rescue and POR15 today atleast i got a 3 day weekend to work on her :eusa_dance:
At lease you will not have to worry about this problem any longer after you are finished with this. Sucks that you need to do it. I would love to add to my tank size also, but there seems not to a lot of room to mess with. I will not use a faux tank cover with a fuel tank or add a different tail section. If I bought another vmax I might do some to fix that problem on it.

At lease you will not have to worry about this problem any longer after you are finished with this. Sucks that you need to do it. I would love to add to my tank size also, but there seems not to a lot of room to mess with. I will not use a faux tank cover with a fuel tank or add a different tail section. If I bought another vmax I might do some to fix that problem on it.

Right! the fuel tank size sucks plus with the chain drive its even smaller they had to make room for the chain.. I see they sell a tank that does where the airbox is like a regular motorcycle but im not paying 1500 dollars for that!

I have seen some the cost of some of the extra fuel tanks are a sin. And only to get 1 more gallon that is a moral sin. I love my bike but the 115 or so mile range sucks but most only get around that anyway. My 85 Honda get right at 125 miles and at 130 it will be bone dry. I was pushing my luck to see how far I could really push the Honda and found out, luckily I was at a light and was able to push it into the gas station across the intersection. I feel for those H-D's with 2 gallon tanks and no wonder the owner change them out so fast lol.

Our extended tank that is an option when getting the extended swingarm adds one gallon of capacity for what I would consider reasonable.

Sean

Latest posts

Back