Drive shaft oil leak

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greimers

Reaction score
I have an oil leak coming from the the boot where the drive shaft exits the engine. From the reading I've been doing here it could be a few things. What's the best way track it down, and what is the most common cause?

I also noticed a 1/4 inch gap under the boot - it's not fitting snug. Is there usually some sort of clamp on it or would it just be worn out?

This is on an '85 with 43000km. I'm still learning my way around the Vmax.

Are you sure the leak is coming from the engine. It's possible that is gear oil coming from the final drive through the swing arm. Check if the swing arm is greasy inside.

When you say "inside" do you mean to remove the rear wheel and drive shaft and look inside the tube?

I fought this for some time on my bike.
There are a few possibilities.

1. The seal on the out put shaft of the engine block.
2. The seal at the end of the driveshaft that slides into the gear coupling on the final drive.
3. The seal on the final drive

Monitor engine oil level and differential fluid level to help determine which area it is coming from.

If you really cannot determine which end is the problem, you could purchase an oil dye kit and put it either in the engine or final drive. That would narrow it down right away.

I fought this for some time on my bike.
There are a few possibilities.

1. The seal on the out put shaft of the engine block.
2. The seal at the end of the driveshaft that slides into the gear coupling on the final drive.
3. The seal on the final drive

Monitor engine oil level and differential fluid level to help determine which area it is coming from.

If you really cannot determine which end is the problem, you could purchase an oil dye kit and put it either in the engine or final drive. That would narrow it down right away.
I would say your # 1 is the right answer don't see that the oil from the diff. would make it up there.

Dave

It is very possible for the oil to run forward with bad seals on the FD since the gear action somewhat push the oil through the leaking seals and run up the swingarm while riding. I know that looking at my swingarm in picture from the TotD that my swingarm was almost level while cornering. (see pics below)
I just repaired my FD drive shaft seal and also found the exterior seal on the middle drive gear which was leaking but I think I somehow did the damage to seal by bumping it while taking apart the swingarm to work on FD seal. The seal had a 1.5" flat dent into the seal breaking it sealing abilities. I didn't find that one until I had everything back together and warming it up to do an oil change. :bang head:

772005.jpg thumb_1403650549DAVE6098.jpg

Where is the middle drive gear? Is this on the wheel or engine end of the drive shaft?

It is very possible for the oil to run forward with bad seals on the FD since the gear action somewhat push the oil through the leaking seals and run up the swingarm while riding. I know that looking at my swingarm in picture from the TotD that my swingarm was almost level while cornering. (see pics below)
I just repaired my FD drive shaft seal and also found the exterior seal on the middle drive gear which was leaking but I think I somehow did the damage to seal by bumping it while taking apart the swingarm to work on FD seal. The seal had a 1.5" flat dent into the seal breaking it sealing abilities. I didn't find that one until I had everything back together and warming it up to do an oil change. :bang head:

View attachment 50349 View attachment 50350
I dented kine during the engine pull/replace.

The middle gear is the one that comes out of the back of the engine by the side stand. It's got the u-joint.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Thanks. I just check the gear oil level and it was a bit low. I will start there. Might be a good idea to replace those seals regardless.

Back