Drive shaft to wheel lube???????

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FREERIDER

Reaction score
I just changed the back tire for the first time on the 95', it looked liked it could use some grease. It had a little oil residue on the gear, but looked dry. Does the shaft gear oil get into the joint between the wheel and shaft? I dont think it does, so would a good grease pack do good in there or would it just burn up?:ummm: I ask this because I found metal dust inside of the plastic ring around shaft to wheel cover.
P.S. I run the hell out of this bike, so I need the best possible maintenance.

Yes! I use a high impact resistant waterproof grease.

No the lube DOES NOT leave the pumpkin.

Clean it all up with some non-chlorinated brake clean and then use a liberal amount of grease On the splines and reassemble. I always put a very thin coat of grease on the axle before inserting.

Yes! I use a high impact resistant waterproof grease.

No the lube DOES NOT leave the pumpkin.

Clean it all up with some non-chlorinated brake clean and then use a liberal amount of grease On the splines and reassemble. I always put a very thin coat of grease on the axle before inserting.

Don't get too liberal with the grease or it will sling out on the wheel.
Don't ask me how i know.

are you guys talking about where the spline on teh wheel meets the mating surface within the pumpkin? not the hypoid gear oil that goes in the pumpkin?

I've used the Honda Moly grease for quite a few years. Worked well on the Gold Wings for long time. I usually service the splines when I change rear tires. I've noticed very little discernable wear on the shaft splines after I started using it. I use the waterproof Yamaha marine grease for coating the axle before reassembly. A very thin coat, as 4gasem explains above.

GP

Latest posts

Back