Drive shaft/universal joint maintenance

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miles Long

Reaction score
Hi folks-
Mikes's recent misfortune (Drivetrain forum - "Broken parts and shrapnel"), has got me a tad worried about the health of my own bike's final drive components.
The Clymer manual does not list any intervals for inspecting, tightening, or lubricating the driveshaft splines, the splined coupling, U-joint, or retaining nuts. Mention is made of these components in the dis-assembly instructions, but only that they should be inspected for wear and re-greased when assembling. No "Preventive Maintenance" time-line is specified.
My bike now has 50,000 miles accumulated, and the drive components have never been apart. The only thing I've done is grease the ring gear spline, when changing the rear tire, and of course change the final drive oil on the specified intervals.
Nothing would indicate that there is a problem, or at least nothing I've noticed. No unusual vibration or noises present. By V-max standards, the bike has been babied - no burnouts, wheelies, or power shifting. 95% highway miles at legal speeds (yeah, I know, borrrring!!!)
- For those that have pulled their driveshafts (I'm talking motorcycles here), what has been the condition of the splined ends? Worn, and/or in need of grease?
- Can the U-joint be inspected/serviced in place, or does the swingarm have to be dropped? Do they require regular greasing, or are they sealed?
Cheers!

Eeee! What would we do without paranoia? Wouldn't life be boring!

I have pulled my shaft (????!) several times since I first got the bike at 18K until present, 35K.

Have not seen any noticeable wear on the splines and the grease was where it should be.

The UJ is re-buildable - see this post but it seems to be an almost unheard of occurrence where the bearings need replacing.
The most common fault seems to be where the UJ to bevel gear retaining tread shears.

If yo pulled back the boot you should be able to check for free play and gauge if the spline needs re-greasing.

What has been the condition of the splined ends? Worn, and/or in need of grease?
- Can the U-joint be inspected/serviced in place, or does the swingarm have to be dropped? Do they require regular greasing, or are they sealed?
Cheers!

I have removed/reinstalled the driveshaft multiple times since I have owned the bike. I have not noticed any wear on the splines. Even now, after the u joint and both yokes have been destroyed, the splines look to be as good as new on both ends of the driveshaft, the clutch hub and ring gear. Shortly after getting the bike, I tore it apart for some mods and while I was at it I lubed all of these parts with a heavy duty molybdenum paste. This stuff sticks like glue and seem to never wear away.

As far and the u-joint itself, it has rubber seals on the bearing caps. Like most OEM u joints, it does not have a grease fitting,but if you really wanted to you could take it apart and grease the needle bearings in the caps. I typically just grab the yoke and twist it around a bit and flex it to see if there is excessive play or roughness. I never felt anything questionable (this was done about 300 miles before the failure) when inspecting the u-joint.

You won't be able to actually do anything to the u joint with the swingarm in place.

I do not believe that my u-joint/yoke failure could have been prevented with maintenance. I feel it was a combination of good traction with a new sticky tire, a 3" extended arm, the extra weight of a passenger, combined with the DD clutch mod and shifting too aggresively.

If anyone is looking to replace a u-joint I found a useful thread on the Venturers forum.
http://www.venturers.org/Tech_Library/?action=article&cat_id=002002&id=376

I have the same setup i have the PCW 1500 and ride hard pulled 173hp and 124ftlbs of torque at the thunder in the valley dyno and like you ride 2 up alot , not sure what tire you run but i have always run the Metzler ME880 180/55/18 not real sticky but handles and hooks up great and have not had any issues. Mike did you go with a new heavy duty driveshaft or a 3" extension?

I have the same setup i have the PCW 1500 and ride hard pulled 173hp and 124ftlbs of torque at the thunder in the valley dyno and like you ride 2 up alot , not sure what tire you run but i have always run the Metzler ME880 180/55/18 not real sticky but handles and hooks up great and have not had any issues. Mike did you go with a new heavy duty driveshaft or a 3" extension?

Extension

I was going to run the RMS heavy duty shaft but like you went with the extension, i would rather break the shaft first but i agree with Carter i think there were other issues with the yoke.

On the Venture site, it seems for that general recommendation is to service the shaft and drive pin splines at same time. Some do it every rear tire change, some every other. Rear tires are a chore to change on most of the Ventures, so everything gets attention when rear end is apart.

Moly 60 is the favorite by far for grease on both the front of drive shaft & drive pins. Moly 60 can be purchased at Honda dealers for around $10. Picture attached.

Gary

Attachments

• PICT5389.JPG
    PICT5389.JPG
    74.2 KB · Views: 31
Update-
Took the rear wheel off yesterday for a tire change, installed a donor Venture pumpkin (c/o a fellow forum member), and pulled the driveshaft for it's first inspection (82,000Km)
Rear splines are in good shape, lots of molygrease left.
The front was a different story - little lube left, some rust present.
I think I will be doing a driveshaft inspection on a regular basis - maybe every 2nd tire change.
Cheers!

Attachments

• P1010891.jpg
    P1010891.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 44
  • P1010890.jpg
    P1010890.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 49
- For those that have pulled their driveshafts (I'm talking motorcycles here), what has been the condition of the splined ends? Worn, and/or in need of grease?
Cheers![/QUOTE]

I inspect mine once a year and grease it-splines. I'd feel better if I could give the u-joint a shot of new grease once in a whie. I'd bet there is an after market joint with a grease fitting already on it. A cap could be pulled and packed I'd imagine,and the grease would get forced into all the needles. I don't see grease fittings much on OEM auto parts, anymore either.
Steve-o

Cheers!

I inspect mine once a year and grease it-splines. I'd feel better if I could give the u-joint a shot of new grease once in a whie. I'd bet there is an after market joint with a grease fitting already on it. A cap could be pulled and packed I'd imagine,and the grease would get forced into all the needles. I don't see grease fittings much on OEM auto parts, anymore either.
Steve-o[/QUOTE]

You wouldn't want one with a grease zert on it because it weakens the u joint, if you detect wear or any play just replace it.. Usually the driveshaft will break first anyway LOL

Sent from my HTC Rezound using Tapatalk 2

I pulled the one on my '86 a coupla times, because I went to Venture pumpkin, then back to Max, then back to Venture again. In all instances there was no wear to be seen, and plenty of grease on both ends.
Haven't looked at the one on my '00 yet.

Latest posts

Back