Drive shaft

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sethtreadaway

Reaction score
I need some help ...the other day went for a ride on my 1998 max and it started poping or kicking like in the drive terrain its almost like as if it were a chain driven bike that had teeth missing on the back sprocket....how it would skip then grab then skip then catch again an jumps to the point that the rider behind me said my back tire was kicking sideways but it only does it in 2nd gear 3rd an up its as normal....took tire off an no sign of any grindage or shavings of any sort in that area....so im assuming its tha shaft its self maybe?....i hope someone has some advice thanx in advance

Sounds like a bad 2nd gear. Case-splitting time!

If it was the driveshaft, it would do it in every gear.

Sounds like a bad 2nd gear. Case-splitting time!

If it was the driveshaft, it would do it in every gear.
Ive read that ....with it being so sudden i was hoping for the best .....but it was in the back of my mind.......thanks for the info...im guessin you know..what kinda headache is set ahead for me? I would be very thankful to know wats all involved in fixing the issue i have

Its definitely on the left side... at first it done a little in 1st an 2nd only under hard acceleration....but now its only 2nd gear an it does it at easy acceleration around 15-30 mph sometimes it dosent do it at all

With all the help and advice here on the forum and a good manual for torque specs its not a bad job if ya dont overthink it and scare yourself out of it. Not real technical just alota work. You'll save alot of money, so feed the monkey.

Plan on all the good up-grades. Get an undercut and overdrive gear set, O-ring and oil pump mod and DD clutch mod. Once you turn it back upright check your valve clearances, plumb for an external oil pressure gauge and Stg 7 crank case breather mod, then get some solid aluminum mounts for the install.

With the motor out of the way get #2and4 coils out of there, time for C.O.P.s a manual fan switch and an ignitech.

Sean can get you everything you'll need to git-er-done and you'll be damn glad you did it all at once with the motor out anyway for 2nd gear.
Makes for a good winter Project Vmax.

With all the help and advice here on the forum and a good manual for torque specs its not a bad job if ya dont overthink it and scare yourself out of it. Not real technical just alota work. You'll save alot of money, so feed the monkey.

Plan on all the good up-grades. Get an undercut and overdrive gear set, O-ring and oil pump mod and DD clutch mod. Once you turn it back upright check your valve clearances, plumb for an external oil pressure gauge and Stg 7 crank case breather mod, then get some solid aluminum mounts for the install.

With the motor out of the way get #2and4 coils out of there, time for C.O.P.s a manual fan switch and an ignitech.

Sean can get you everything you'll need to git-er-done and you'll be damn glad you did it all at once with the motor out anyway for 2nd gear.
Makes for a good winter Project Vmax.
I Preshate it.....by no means am i intimidated by it jus havnt actually ever done that job on the vmax....hence iv been mechanicing my whole life an havnt really run across much i couldnt tackle....that bein said....i know parts depending can be a bit pricey and ocd wont let me put any kinda maybe or non reputable or comparable to OEM ...thing is im kinda like when i tear something down especially to that extent i normally like to get the job done and get it back together... the more time passes the more i know myself procrastinates.....an tell myself that ....aww wat the hell ill get to it ...an u can see were that goes....however i have already the double D mod and stage 7 carb jet kit .....an dnt get me wrong i love my max.....jus dnt wanna put 6 grand in a 3 grand bike plus time an labor to have a 10 grand bike thats still only worth 3 grand ....not when i can buy another bike thats like new for 4 grand that had all the goods..

I Preshate it.....by no means am i intimidated by it jus havnt actually ever done that job on the vmax....hence iv been mechanicing my whole life an havnt really run across much i couldnt tackle....that bein said....i know parts depending can be a bit pricey and ocd wont let me put any kinda maybe or non reputable or comparable to OEM ...thing is im kinda like when i tear something down especially to that extent i normally like to get the job done and get it back together... the more time passes the more i know myself procrastinates.....an tell myself that ....aww wat the hell ill get to it ...an u can see were that goes....however i have already the double D mod and stage 7 carb jet kit .....an dnt get me wrong i love my max.....jus dnt wanna put 6 grand in a 3 grand bike plus time an labor to have a 10 grand bike thats still only worth 3 grand ....not when i can buy another bike thats like new for 4 grand that had all the goods..
I do hear ya bro, its a smart man that knows when to say when!

Not to just keep on with an old thread ....but its been 2 days sence ive rode an i got home from work yesterday evening an run the max dwn the road an every thing is as normal ....like i couldnt even make it do wat it was doin .....even under full acceleration like made a complete liar out of me .......think its still a second gear issue....or does that happen? Because i was puzzled that ive nvr had any signs of problems at all....an jus the other day me an a buddy went for a ride an after id say 2hrs into the ride we both accelerated an thats wen it first done it ....jus that suddenly

maybe it's worth draining the oil to see if anything nasty shows up, perhaps just by chance something got caught in the gears like a loose bolt, just a thought

maybe it's worth draining the oil to see if anything nasty shows up, perhaps just by chance something got caught in the gears like a loose bolt, just a thought
Ill tell ya if you do have to split the case you'll see that there is no way anything can get into the "gear box" section of the case, just gears and shafts in there.
I would have thought that maybe you lost a pin out of that round gear selector deal outside by the clutch basket.
Things don't just fix themselves but if you aren't still experiencing the problem as first described Id call it good and keep it on the road.
Here's a pic of the open case.20170118_205628.jpg20170118_205642.jpg

Yea i have had the pins come out systematically until iv replaced every single one an it was because of the coke can gauge metal retainer bending and tearin loose.....however ive wonderd were the original pins went nver seen any of em except maybe one.....ive jus goin from 1st to 3rd......but was the 2nd gear recall even been a issue on the 1998?

Ill tell ya if you do have to split the case you'll see that there is no way anything can get into the "gear box" section of the case, just gears and shafts in there.
I would have thought that maybe you lost a pin out of that round gear selector deal outside by the clutch basket.
Things don't just fix themselves but if you aren't still experiencing the problem as first described Id call it good and keep it on the road.
Here's a pic of the open case.View attachment 80101View attachment 80102
It still pulls in second jus any quick throttle an it makes a grinding sound an jumps in an out......wats crazy is like i mentioned before......ive completely forgot about it after a week or so of not riding an iv come outa first hard into 2nd an she jus pulled the front tire up an done perfect.....then i was like wait a min. That was 2nd gear wth?

Latest posts

Back