driving in cold and makes funny noise

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VmaxRider85

Reaction score
hey vmaxers

was riding my 85 tonight and it does this sometimes when its cold im riding along and all of a sudden in makes a weird noise from the air box. it sounds like a diaphram is stuck..

i ripped it apart.

is there anything to look for or anything else to look at to see what the problem is?

all diaphrams move nice and easy its just it gets stuck some times i pull the clutch in drop the R's and then it goes away dump the clutch and take off and its fine and it will do it once in a while.

any ideas ?

thanks guys
look at my other post under parts wanted really looking for a frame brace!

Could you describe the noise it makes a bit better? I have no idea what a stuck diaphragm sounds like..

Now, the diaphragms are very fragile sheets of rubber that must be free of holes or tears for the slides to get sucked in properly under vacuum.

So,
- check all four diaphragms are in good condition (look 'through' them at light - any holes or tears are bad)
- check all four slides move freely, with the airbox off you should be able to easily push each one with your fingers making sure they move freely and come back in place easily under spring action.

+1, the diaphrams are getting old, if original, in your bike and should be inspected. I find them start to tear along the edges first. Check them under a bright light to see if any light shines through.
Are we talking a backfire through the airbox? A slight lean condition would be more noticable when cold.
I had a slight pop through the intake that drove me crazy for a while. New boots and clamps everywhere solved my issue along with a new airbox seal, since all was getting changed. The vboost boots looked ok in place, but after removal proved to be leaking. I hope this helped a bit.
Steve

Last edited:
My vmax carbs talk to me when the bike is cold if i start it and just take off....Does not do it when i let it sit and warm up......have been told the slight popping is fairly normal....lol..

Explain the sound. Sometimes I get a prolonged screaming noise from somewhere there, but usually only first few minutes of the ride. Never when stationary.

Back