Dropped Vmax off a local shop

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

Smallz700r

Reaction score
Hey guys, dropped my 92 Vmax off at a local shop to diagnose my sputtering and battery draining problems, the mechanic called today and said compression is good, spark is good, but a previous owner before me took carbs apart and did not put them back together right! He also said that one of the carbs was missing pieces!!! My battery was draining while my key was off because of a bad regulator rectifier! Gave me a total off 900$!!! He said 400$ for carb parts and 450$ for labor and the 70$ rectifier!! Holy crap I just wanted a diagnosis and then was gonna talk to you guys or maybe even a carb cleaning for his 400$ but thats crazy right?

Fire-medic

Staff member
Reaction score
No, not if it's all-fixed. Let's assume that your shop is competent, they do the work, and you get to use the bike trouble-free. Consider the alternative: you could end-up posting this, that, and 'the other' like our member whose screen name rhymes with 'scream before' :eek:as you muddle through a similar abortion/butchery by a prior owner. I would tell the mechanic that you want a MOSFET regulator/rectifier instead of the OEM 1992 R/R. They sound pretty-sharp, he should have a good idea of what you want to-do. About the only thing he would probably have-to add, is a ground wire of adequate gauge. The 1992 R/R uses its mounting to the footpeg carrier as a ground, while the MOSFET R/R will usually have a separate ground wire in the harness for it.

Last edited:

Parminio

Reaction score
Hey guys, dropped my 92 Vmax off at a local shop to diagnose my sputtering and battery draining problems, the mechanic called today and said compression is good, spark is good, but a previous owner before me took carbs apart and did not put them back together right! He also said that one of the carbs was missing pieces!!! My battery was draining while my key was off because of a bad regulator rectifier! Gave me a total off 900$!!! He said 400$ for carb parts and 450$ for labor and the 70$ rectifier!! Holy crap I just wanted a diagnosis and then was gonna talk to you guys or maybe even a carb cleaning for his 400$ but thats crazy right?

Typical rebuild service on carbs for a Vmax is around 600 dollars and up, so that's not a bad deal at all.

I will say this: Typically, a garage should give you a flat fee for diagnosing your bike. They should have said something along the lines of, "Well, there's a lot that could be wrong but I have some ideas. It'll be $250.00 to investigate and diagnose the problems. If you want to fix it after we do that, then the $250.00 goes towards the repair bill. If you decide not to fix it, you haul the bike off and we keep the $250.00".

In my opinion, $900.00 to go through your carbs, chase down an electrical problem, fix that and give you the bike back in good running order is dirt cheap.

The time you'd spend and headaches you'd go through alone are worth more than that.

Fire-medic

Staff member
Reaction score
The time you'd spend and headaches you'd go through alone are worth more than that.
Consider our member whose screen name rhymes with 'scream more.' :eek: This investment with your local competent mechanic gives you the bike back, ready to enjoy, instead of becoming frustrated with a lack of personal progress due to your own wrenching efforts.

Parminio

Reaction score
Consider our member whose screen name rhymes with 'scream more.' :eek:This investment with your local competent mechanic gives you the bike back, ready to enjoy, instead of becoming frustrated with a lack of personal progress due to your own wrenching efforts.
That's what I just said. What's your point?

Smallz700r

Reaction score
Yeah he said 100$ an hour, and said we should be able to figure out both your problems within an hour... They have really good ratings on google, and were super nice! Nick and Neils Powersports in Belleville Michigan.

Fire-medic

Staff member
Reaction score
Parminio,
That's what I just said (read post #2). What's your point?

Oh wait, I think I see it, now! A remarkable likeness!

Mimwaukee Point beer.jpg

😆 😜

Be sure to click on the link to see the album cover, relevance is assured.

Last edited:

Fire-medic

Staff member
Reaction score
Well you're the one who made the remark about

That certainly is a snide comment.

If you don't read the prior posts, it's not my fault. Then your aggrieved attitude compels you to snipe. Some people are more-proficient at reading comprehension than others. Some don't want to read more-than a sentence or two, I suspect that comes from constant texting. Small bytes of information are easily-digested. It takes commitment of time to read a book. Some people like to, some don't. Choices, we make them. Reading a thread before posting is a choice, as-is not reading prior content a choice, and then sniping at someone.

Parminio

Reaction score
Well you're the one who made the remark about

That certainly is a snide comment.

If you don't read the prior posts, it's not my fault. Then your aggrieved attitude compels you to snipe. Some people are more-proficient at reading comprehension than others. Some don't want to read more-than a sentence or two, I suspect that comes from constant texting. Small bytes of information are easily-digested. It takes commitment of time to read a book. Some people like to, some don't. Choices, we make them. Reading a thread before posting is a choice, as-is not reading prior content a choice, and then sniping at someone.
Blah, blah, blah, everything is all about you blah, blah, blah.

Like I said, you do this to everybody. You're a hypocrite of the highest order. I stopped reading your post the INSTANT I saw you were making fun of a member you told me to ignore.

But you're a mod and all important so you can overlook that and do what you want.

Fact is, I replied to the OP's post. I didn't read yours after I saw your blatant hypocrisy. AGAIN.

But that just drives you absolutely nuts because to you this forum is all about YOU. So you pipe in and try to insert the fact you said something and that you should be THE ONLY ONE who says it.

Grow the hell up.

Fire-medic

Staff member
Reaction score
I often voice my support for others' views, and sometimes that includes yours!

If you used a proofread before posting, I believe your comprehension would improve, and you may-not be so short-tempered. However, when your post is repeating something I already said, you make a snide comment, instead of like me, saying, "I agree with __________ (insert Sean, dannymax, CaptainKyle, gamorgo2, or whoever made a good suggestion) . Do as you wish, comment as you choose. When it's raining, it may-not be someone pissing on-you.

Fire-medic

Staff member
Reaction score
I went in and talked to the mechanic, fellow VMAX lover, knew everything about the MOSFET rectifier, he knew everything about the CV carbs, made me feel alot better leaving MAX there.
I hope your shop is able to do what you need. The investment may be a godsend, after seeing what others have experienced and how some choose to 'repair' their rides.

I wouldn't doubt he will discover some other issues created by the prior owner as he takes a look at things. I think the prior owner was a meat-cutter because he certainly seems to have-been a proficient butcher.

Clyde Porter IV

Reaction score
I don't know what you're problem is, but you do this to just about everybody. You have some serious issues, man.
I'm new to this forum and I have really enjoyed the informative nature of it. 85% of the time it's all hands on deck to help the next guy in need. Be it a need to show off his Bike and his personal taste or the need to be informed on a particular problem or up grade possibly. I'm not picking sides Hell I can't pick sides I don't know either of you no more then I know the next person that's gonna pull out on me from a drive way. I would like to say two things if yall would afford me that. It's an old thread but I'd like to say point taken on both sides and it was clear that the shots back and forth was human nature for people that are truly individuals and you both seem to be that. But personal attack of rhymes with amd the video posted that to me was not productive to say the least. I'm new brand new here so to ascertain who posted what I'm not inclined to investigate that's for you guys to know. But you both are helpful around these parts clearly and I wish you God's Speed and a go ahead thanks for the help I'm sure to need and receive from either one of you guys. Everyone here is an individual with a Passion all the same. Brute Strength and Power to the Rear Tire.... I hope life has been kind to you both. And I hope this is takin within its intended context. If it's not my apology ahead of time......

Latest posts