Dual Horns Mod - make it sound LARGE!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naughtyG

Reaction score
I wasn't impressed with the OEM horn on my V-Max - it sounded more like a 50cc moped or scooter than a 1200cc Muscle Bike to me!
So I set out to get a more appropriate sound, and here's how I went about it:

Looking on fleaBay, I found this seller that listed a pair of chrome Air Horns for $15 with Free Shipping - nice! :eusa_dance:
lepews
ebayhornsselleritem320309363873.jpg

IMG%5D

Here's the picture in the listing (item No 320309363873):
AIR-HORN.jpg

They arrived promptly, and exactly as described. Nice cheapo aftermarket chrome plastic items - if they break I can replace them easy - and $15 ain't braking the bank :biglaugh:

I started by unplugging and removing the offending item with its bracket - let's see if I can get my $15 back by flogging it on the Bay LOL :rofl_200:
1oldhorn.jpg

I mounted the new horns inside the engine guards, using an existing bolt, and using the brackets supplied with the horns. I suitably bent those brackets (using a pair on each side) so that the horns would fit perfectly in the available space.
Here's the left horn in place, with the bent bracket arrowed. You can also see the holes the OEM horn bracket used to fit in to the left.
0amountlefthornswithsuppliedbracket.jpg

Side view of the left horn:
0clefthornsideview.jpg

Right horn mounted with the bent to shape bracket arrowed:
0brighthornmountedwithsuppliedbrack.jpg

And a side view of the right horn:
0drighthornsideview.jpg

Next I removed the faux-tank cover, and also both left and right scoops.
Under the left scoop, I unhooked the two relays by lifting them up off their metal tabs (pink arrows) and unscrewed the V-boost controller (green arrow) - no need to unplug any of their connectors!
2behindrightcowl.jpg

Then I removed the round valve/relay (not sure what it is!:ummm:) from its bracket (pink arrow) and then fed all the wires (green arrow) out of the slot they come through and let all those items hang down for now.
relaythenmoveharness.jpg

I pulled the four rubber tabs (green arrows) off the heat shield
5unhooktabs.jpg

disconnected my cooling fan connector
4unplugfan.jpg

then removed the whole panel (3 screws arrowed) to expose the wiring harness. You may notice that my airbox and carbs are also missing - I'm in the process of cleaning them, but them being in place would make no difference to this mod.
6remove3screwsandpanel.jpg

next I pulled out the arrowed relay from its housing
7pulloutrelay.jpg

and this allowed me to pull out the wiring harness (green arrow) enough from behind the frame tubes to expose the horn wires (pink arrows) - I traced these up from the horn - they run up the left frame tube and join the harness here. You'll need to feed the horn wires up a bit through their metal hooks to have enough slack to pull it all out. On my '86, the horn wires are Brown and Pink.
8pulloutharnessandexposehornwires.jpg

Then I cut the horn wires (green arrows), to ready them to be tinned for solder and splice:
9hornwirescutandexposed.jpg

I prepared my new wires for the second horn by cutting them to an appropriate length and taping them together with black electrical tape. (got this appropriate gauge black electrical wire from Home Depot for about $3, and have loads left over) Notice one end already tinned and ready to solder:
10newwiresfor2ndhorn.jpg

Soldered the original wires back together with the new ones spliced on - yes you need a lot of fingers to get this right.. :punk: The new wires are arrowed in green, and notice the pink arrows pointing at the heat shrink sleeves put in place before soldering
11newwiressolderedontooriginalwires.jpg

Time to borrow wifey's hair dryer and do some shrinking, having checked the soldering was good and solid..
12timetoshrink.jpg

Next I fed the new wiring across to the other side:
13feedthenewwiresthru.jpg

If you look thru you can actually see a passage across! (arrowed in green)
14ucanseethrutotheotherside.jpg

This is where it comes out on the right side (green arrow). The pink arrows show the heat shield rubber tabs I unhooked to open the passage for the wires.
15thisiswhereitcomesout.jpg

Next I secured the new wiring to the right frame tube with a couple of cable ties (arrowed), making sure it's clear from any hot parts.
16securetoframewithcableties.jpg

Here's the new wiring out by the right horn, trimmed to length and ready to be dealt with
17newwirescomeoutbytherighthorn.jpg

Same wires with crimped on isolated spade connectors, and all taped up and ready:
18connectorsfittedandtapedup.jpg

Right horn is now connected. Notice how I had to bend the horn's spades (green arrows) to clear the coolant elbow:
19righthornwiredup-benttabs.jpg

The left horn is connected using the original wiring:
20lefthornusesoriginalwiring.jpg

The spliced horn wires (green arrow) all taped up and ready to be fed back behind the frame:
21newsplicealltapedupreadytogobacki.jpg

Then refitting was simply a reversal of removal. Once the wires were back in place, I refitted the (V-boost?) relay, the left plastic panel with its 3 screws, reconnected the cooling fan, rehooked the rubber tabs on both sides, fed the relays and V-boost controller's harness through the slot in the left panel, reattached the unknown(!) round valve/relay, reattached both relays and V-boost controller, and finally refitted the cowls and faux-tank cover.

And here's the result of the dual horns mod:

First a picture of both horns mounted (the front wheel is off for new bearings..) - notice the BLING factor :rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200:
22bothhornsmounted.jpg

And finally, this whole thread would be useless without the sonic result of the mod - I really like it as Maxine now sounds a lot more like its weight - these things are LOUD and the 2-tone dual horns are reminiscent of a large luxury car. When I sound these, other road users WILL pay attention!!!

(Don't forget to turn your speakers up ALL THE WAY to get the full effect :clapping:)
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=iS1V71151_o

Move over Mark!! We may have a new topdog in the illustrated DIY department! Good job nG!!

I rather like my wimpy horn...sounds a lot like a hare-lipped road runner...('meep-meep') I never go for the horn in a 'situation'...just screaming obscenities works good for me!

I'm sitting at a light the other day, waiting behind a car who for whatever reason, is ignoring the fact that light had turned an obvious shade of green... I holler "what!!?...you need a f'n note from your mama to cross the street?!!" ... They moved out quickly... See...no horn needed!

Uncle Philthy

I bought those horns 2 years ago and mounted them,one to a side under the bottom bolts that hold the scoops in place .They are el cheapo crap and did not last 4 months .I bought a Stebel air horn and mounted it under the LH scoop mounting bolt.It even makes me jump when I use it!:eusa_dance: Cheers Kevman

Great job NaughtyG! I'll be happy to move over. lol

One thing to try before swapping horns is adding a relay to run the stocker. It makes a huge difference...similar to running the headlights off relays.

Nice job NG!! Well thought out and presented. Looks great! :thumbs up:

A hare-lipped roadrunner? :ummm: I think that's the best description I've ever heard of the v max horn!

Unc. P-here's one for you too! :thumbs up:

Ditto on what Redbone said. Great instructions!
I installed this horn http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=94117 to the center stand mounting bracket. Of course I had already removed the center stand. But never the less, it was a piece of cake to install and its loud as hell. Just be sure to remove the sticker and ugly chrome cover thats on it.

Thanks for heads up guys! :punk:

Red Bone, that mod you found looks real good - WAY better than mine. I especially like his use of the relay, even if I'm not so impressed on his positioning of the horns. :confused2:

Kevman, thanks for the feedback on these cheapo horns - I'll see how mine fare since they'll be exposed to the elements down there and I ride in all weathers inc very hot, cold and wet. Still, can't go wrong with $15, and now all the wiring's in place a swap will be easy.

Phil - I also like your horn concept and your OEM horn description, although I throw the level gauntlet at ya and bet we won't hear ya curse while my horn button is being pressed :biglaugh::biglaugh:

Mark, I'll hijack my own thread!!! :hijacked: :rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200::hijacked:
What do you mean by using a relay on the headlights circuitry? What's the improvement? Also I've always considered adding a switching capability to my lights - I'd like to be able to have the ignition on at times with the lights off to save the battery, and maybe have a relay control it so the lights are only ever on when the motor is actually running, unless overridden by a manual switch!

The relay allows the horn to get the full 12 volts from the battery instead of the power going through the harness, switch and all the connectors. I have a circuit diagram on my home PC that I'll post later.

I dont get the horn thing,:confused2: I havent had a horn on my VMAX for over 5 yrs. I think my exhaust is louder than the horn.

Blowing a horn in my neck of the woods is considered to be rude, and you know how cordual and understanding I am.:clapping:
I havent heard a horn since I lived in Jackassville Fla. Must be a Fla and NJ thing of impatience.. BEEP THIS M'F

Ya know thw saying

The horn blows how about the driver?

<aybe thats why I dont use a horn:ummm:

I am also interested in louder horns that blow harder...
I am checking in to this kit. Just need some more photos Naughty for help installing em :ummm:

Attachments

• Horns.jpg
    Horns.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 39
Hey G , put a set of those horns on your wifes' Twinstar so me and Uncle Philthy can hear them in person at the next pancake ride ! :biglaugh: It was good meeting you guys - hope you get your carb parts soon G.

Hey Rich,

yea it was great to catch up over pancakes this morning! :biglaugh::eusa_dance:

Good to see Phil too. I'm really glad we got to meet, and look forward to 3 Max's riding next time round. :punk:

Gary McCoy left a message today saying he had all my bits, so hopefully it'll all turn up next week and I'll be back in the saddle by the weekend :clapping::clapping:

I sure enjoyed the time spent as well...Thanks to nG for the heads-up and invite... I never saw any pancakes, but that wonderfully endowed lil' showroom-sweety, sure had my attention! Well worth the trip!

So G, when you get the 'max back together, and we do a serious ride somewhere together soon, how 'bout you, me n' Rich all head over to 'Cowboys, and breech the peace in his neighborhood?...Then there'd be FOUR of us totally addicted VMax Forum junkies all together at the same time! Is the world ready for that?....

Unc'...

I sure enjoyed the time spent as well...Thanks to nG for the heads-up and invite... I never saw any pancakes, but that wonderfully endowed lil' showroom-sweety, sure had my attention! Well worth the trip!

So G, when you get the 'max back together, and we do a serious ride somewhere together soon, how 'bout you, me n' Rich all head over to 'Cowboys, and breech the peace in his neighborhood?...Then there'd be FOUR of us totally addicted VMax Forum junkies all together at the same time! Is the world ready for that?....

Unc'...

Hey Aren't the gator Nationals coming Up? Maybe we could all go to the races for the Day. Ooops scratch that, that's in March.
I've been partying too much... Like that's possible. LOL! I so Love October, there is so much stuff going on. But Now It's November, so I'll have some more free time.
Anywho... I'm still planing on finding something for all of to get together on. Just haven't been able to find it yet.
If you guys have any ideas... cough em up!

That does sound like a great idea Phil! I'll keep my eyes open on possible events we could all go to as Robert mentioned, but a get-together of four maxes is well worth the ride from Tampa to Osteen.

And it would be a great ride too - as I'm sure we can find a better way there than I-4!

Latest posts

Back