Dual sport suggestions

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

old timer

Reaction score
I'm looking into picking up a dual sport of some kind , mostly street , any suggestions ?

i think that depends on what kind of off-road u'll get into.

trails thru the woods?
gravel roads?
dirt roads?
'walking trails?

I just bought two 07 drz400s. Nice bikes but only for trails. I hardly ride mine here in Iowa. The one with lowering link and Corbin seat is easier to ride since Im short. I bought them for a Colorado trip planned next summer.

Depends how much slab your going to ride. The Vstrom is one sweet bike if you plan on riding alot of slab, but I wouldn't choose it if you trailer your bikes to the area like I plan.

Another good choice would be a tw200 or super sherpa if you have any beginner riders learning. They are allot lower than a drz for example.

I have a '08 Kawasaki KLR 650, it's a great bike but tall. I've been trying to sell it but can't seem to give it away. I love it for any riding under 60mph. Once you try to keep up with 70mph traffic, it's work and the bike gets whipped all over the place.

I just bought two 07 drz400s. Nice bikes but only for trails. I hardly ride mine here in Iowa. The one with lowering link and Corbin seat is easier to ride since Im short. I bought them for a Colorado trip planned next summer.

Depends how much slab your going to ride. The Vstrom is one sweet bike if you plan on riding alot of slab, but I wouldn't choose it if you trailer your bikes to the area like I plan.

Another good choice would be a tw200 or super sherpa if you have any beginner riders learning. They are allot lower than a drz for example.

tw's are good but they wouldn't be able to do woods trails due to the ground clearance. they'll power thru anything else tho and are fun little machines.

heres a thread from a local riding forum:

http://www.nestreetriders.com/forum/bike-night-vermont/56431-diary-custom-tw-200-build.html

I have a '08 Kawasaki KLR 650, it's a great bike but tall. I've been trying to sell it but can't seem to give it away. I love it for any riding under 60mph. Once you try to keep up with 70mph traffic, it's work and the bike gets whipped all over the place.

a buddy just got one but it is not good for the woods trails i usually ride, good for dirt roads or paths.

If money is no issue, the Euros absolutely dominate this segment and I want to say they not only invented it but perfected it. Hence, BMW has a litre bike that does it all. Second, I like the Triumph Tiger. Both can be found resonably priced in the used market and usually are already modded or accessorized with all the goodies ie, tour bags, bar risers, windshields, hand warmers, seats, lighting, etc. New they are too expensive though. Good luck in your search

The dealer I use locally has some Aprillia's left last time I was in there. They are selling them for a few hundred over their cost which is a significant amount less then sticker.

Sean

There are a lot of great ones out there these days..

BMW 1200 GS

Triumph Tiger 1050

Ducati MultiStrada

Yamaha 1200 T?n?r?

Suzuki V-Strom (available both in 1000 and 650cc)

and also in the slightly smaller but great segment,

Kawasaki Versys (650cc)

BMW F650 / F800

Triumph 800 (brand new)

the list goes on and on, but the above would be my first choices :biglaugh::biglaugh:

The new Multistrada seems to be wow. look, performance ...
I just don't like the sound of the dry clutch, it always make me think those bike have something wrong lol

ktm super motard

i've seen a few around town. and they look like fun. stoppies at red lights.
And seen a few launch as the light turns green. wish i had one.(as an extra bike)

Latest posts

Back