Ducati muscle bike ?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting that they are using a V2 engine yet are trying to compete against the VMax. I can't believe they will get the hp from the twin.

The Ducati 1198 L-2 puts down 170 HP and 97 ft/lbs torque. If they can keep the weight of the beast down (and Ducati knnows how to keep weight at a minimum) they may have a good thing happening.

What surprises me, especially in this economy, is that Ducati is going after a narrow-market bike the VMax, especailly since the VMax isn't exactly a sales leader. I guess if you decide you are going to take on the power-cruiser market you might as well take aim at the best.

Blaine

Interesting that they are using a V2 engine yet are trying to compete against the VMax. I can't believe they will get the hp from the twin.

I question the 2 cylinder engine myself balance is always an issue so if you increase cubic inches I think balance will be way off. There is a point of termination on engines and cylinders if this was not the case we would all have two cylinder trucks. to get a good true balance you need multiple cylinders and firing orders more cylinders the better the balance.

Case in point the Bugatti Veyron 16 cylinders of pure refined engine nobody can argue with what they have done with engines more cylinders is better period read and drool engine lovers
The Bugatti Veyron 16.4 Grand Sport’s seven-gear, twin-clutch gearbox is the first to master comparably high torque values.
It combines the advantages of a manual transmission and the convenience of an automatic to deliver smart performance: the next gear is pre-engaged, ready to take over propulsion seamlessly and without a moment of deceleration. This technological masterstroke allows for calm, smooth and even acceleration with minimal shift times – less than 150 milliseconds.
With 16 cylinders, a combined capacity of 8 litres, 4 valves per cylinder and four turbo chargers, the Grand Sport’s engine is the most powerful ever to be built into a production vehicle. The perfect combination of a 1,001 horsepower high-performance power unit and 1,250 Newton meter torque results in an unparalleled forward thrust. The Launch Control provides additional support for a quick start, and the Cruise Control makes for constant driving even at high velocity.
A glance at the horsepower control in the Grand Sport’s dashboards reveals this unique car’s full potential: constant 250 km/h require merely 270-280 of the Grand Sport’s horsepower capacity. More than 700 HP are continuously “on standby” for quick and fast interludes. In other words: at 1,000 r.p.m., only slightly above idling, the Veyron has 730 Newton meter torque available. Between 2,200 and 5,500 r.p.m., 1,250 Newton meter torque are permanently accessible.

Its a little of topic but you get my point

just my two cents

Last edited:
More case in point: Why Harley's(and even Japanese) big bore v-twins just aren't that smooth and have relatively low HP for their size. Why a 1200cc Vmax motor lays down more power than a 1800cc Suzuki V-twin. , despite 50% more displacement and 25 years newer technology.

More cylinders is (usually) better for performance, the only edge the big bore, long stroke motors have is typically more torque in the low end. Torque is for trucks, HP is for motorcycles. A 600 class sportbike puts out only around 30-35 pounds of torque, while a Harley can put down 80-90, but the sportbike will blow the HD away like it isn't even moving. Now if 1/4 miles were run with camper trailers it'd be a different story, but that isn't the case now is it?

There's info somewhere about a guy that took a Duck L-twin, cooked up some crazy plumbing, and essentially turned one cylinder into a blower for the other. One cylinder was just an air pump and didn't fire, the bike only actually ran on one. He claimed an overall net gain in power, somewhere in the ballpark of 200hp from one "turbocharged" cylinder". Can't imagine that imbalance would be good for the motor, but who knows? Interesting concept.

Ducati gets such high Hp and performance out of their twins because they are not a V-twin in the sense of the HD or other cruiser twins. They are almost an L-shaped twin which allows the performance they get out of them. The 1198 and Streetfighter Ducati's put out some great Hp and torque in a very lightweight platform. The spy photos don't really show much in the way of engine detail, but it looks somewhat based on the Streetfighter platform in some respects.

I can't believe they will get the hp from the twin.

Twins can make power, my old chopper was putting down 140hp and over 140tq to the rear wheel, with a 127 ultima motor and it was smooth and harsh when you got into it.
http://www.ultimaproducts.com/seven.htm

Thier 130 makes 150hp/160tq and thier 140ci makes over 165hp/170tq at the wheel.

Couple them with a baker 6 speed and you have a rocket.

Twins can make power, my old chopper was putting down 140hp and over 140tq to the rear wheel, with a 127 ultima motor and it was smooth and harsh when you got into it.
http://www.ultimaproducts.com/seven.htm

Thier 130 makes 150hp/160tq and thier 140ci makes over 165hp/170tq at the wheel.

Couple them with a baker 6 speed and you have a rocket.

Are they still a reliable motor after being punched out? I know a guy who poured thousands into his S&S to make hp to the point where he didn't like riding it because it was always breaking down.

Are they still a reliable motor after being punched out? I know a guy who poured thousands into his S&S to make hp to the point where he didn't like riding it because it was always breaking down.

They're very reliable. I loved the engine I got from them. Good base warranty, 2 years for the 100/113" engines, and 12 months for the 120/127 engines.

All thier engines come with Mukuni HSR carbs 40/45mm and Ultima ignitions (made by Dyna for the engine.)

They are a pretty square engine, the 120 is using a 4.25" bore and the same for the stroke. the 127 is the same bore but a 4.5" stroke. The only thing I would have done different on my enging is I would have ran two carbs. As you can see in a pic of my pipes one of the cyls likes to run richer than the other. its just the nature of the engine, but with two carbs you can tune in some bigger hp numbers and eliviate the "find the happy medium" on the richness factor between the cyls.

The only thing about running the big twins is you have to use a beefy starter and clutch.

More case in point: Why Harley's(and even Japanese) big bore v-twins just aren't that smooth and have relatively low HP for their size. Why a 1200cc Vmax motor lays down more power than a 1800cc Suzuki V-twin. , despite 50% more displacement and 25 years newer technology.

More cylinders is (usually) better for performance, the only edge the big bore, long stroke motors have is typically more torque in the low end. Torque is for trucks, HP is for motorcycles. A 600 class sportbike puts out only around 30-35 pounds of torque, while a Harley can put down 80-90, but the sportbike will blow the HD away like it isn't even moving. Now if 1/4 miles were run with camper trailers it'd be a different story, but that isn't the case now is it?

There's info somewhere about a guy that took a Duck L-twin, cooked up some crazy plumbing, and essentially turned one cylinder into a blower for the other. One cylinder was just an air pump and didn't fire, the bike only actually ran on one. He claimed an overall net gain in power, somewhere in the ballpark of 200hp from one "turbocharged" cylinder". Can't imagine that imbalance would be good for the motor, but who knows? Interesting concept.
It was done with russian IZ motocycle form 30-40's. It was 350cc 2 stroke, 2 cylinders which one fires and one compress and russians stealed this patent from german DKW at the end of WW2.
Ducati gets such high Hp and performance out of their twins because they are not a V-twin in the sense of the HD or other cruiser twins. They are almost an L-shaped twin which allows the performance they get out of them. The 1198 and Streetfighter Ducati's put out some great Hp and torque in a very lightweight platform. The spy photos don't really show much in the way of engine detail, but it looks somewhat based on the Streetfighter platform in some respects.
Indeed those are L-twins. Unique to Duki. Second unique thingy is desmodromic vales/camshaft.
The L shape was created only for better frame fitting and better mass centralization.
First used in 750 Supersport.

I LOVE the sound of a Ducati dry clutch. And a short stroke oversquare engine can really turn some rpm's & squeeze out some pony's. The only thing that would keep me away is the price - there's no way that duck will be as cheap as a GenII, & we all know THEY'RE not cheap. Still, I'm glad they are toying with the idea. That's my kind of niche.

I believe this is what you are talking about (or damn close to it): http://thekneeslider.com/archives/2009/01/12/ducati-v-one-twin-to-supercharged-single-conversion/

It caught my eye as well:biglaugh:

I believe this is what you are talking about (or damn close to it): http://thekneeslider.com/archives/2009/01/12/ducati-v-one-twin-to-supercharged-single-conversion/

It caught my eye as well:biglaugh:

It was somewhere else, but that's the same picture. Maybe it was in some MC mag. Kind of a neat idea. Something you'd never think would work, but apparently does. Now could you make the back two cylinders of the Vmax "charge" the front two, and get more HP out of it than normally?

For the two strokes, I think this is what you mean....one cylinder is a dummy to charge the other.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Split-single

GUYS THIS PHOTOS ARE ALMOSTS 6 MONTHS OLD.THIS BIKE IS ALREADY IN PRODUCTION A FRIEND OF MINE BOUGHT IT 22 000 EUROS. THE MODEL IS STREETFIGHTER S
HERE IS THE LINK ENJOY
http://www.ducati.com/bikes/streetfighter/streetfighter_s/index.do

That's the "Streetfighter", not the "Diavel":

18578.jpg

18588.jpg

18586.jpg

A 450lb VMax that handles like a Ducati? Sure, but how much?

Back