Dummy indicator 'blank'

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

likembikem

Reaction score
For some reason the blank indicator lamp bugs me and I have tried to think of a real use for this thing. I have mentioned this before but now I have seen something new (to me) It is a voltage display LED. One LED that changes color and flash rates according to charging or battery health. Web site is http://www.clearwaterlights.com/infopg_cvs.html . I was wondering if anyone has seen one of these. The LED wireing would have to be lenthened. I would remove the dummy blank and carfully dremel a clear plastic (or smoked) and epoxy in place with LED behind. Just thinking.....

For some reason the blank indicator lamp bugs me and I have tried to think of a real use for this thing. I have mentioned this before but now I have seen something new (to me) It is a voltage display LED. One LED that changes color and flash rates according to charging or battery health. Web site is http://www.clearwaterlights.com/infopg_cvs.html . I was wondering if anyone has seen one of these. The LED wireing would have to be lenthened. I would remove the dummy blank and carfully dremel a clear plastic (or smoked) and epoxy in place with LED behind. Just thinking.....

Looks like a great idea to me. $60 ain't bad. Will the probe fit behind there? If so, then your home free. Post some pics when your done.

The blank drives me nuts, but a lot of flashing might be worse! I'll have to research more before the $60.

I do not like the empty slot either. But I know a flashing light would be worst, I rather have a gauge.

I have inserts for the blank slot. We used that location for the cruise control indicator mod we came up with. Still working on trying to get the cable length set so we can start offering it.

Sean

Pritty cool idea, I chose to cover it up with this console from Vmax Bits:biglaugh:

Attachments

• only 5 indicators -with symbols.jpg
    only 5 indicators -with symbols.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 52
I do not like the empty slot either. But I know a flashing light would be worst, I rather have a gauge.

Why not use the blank space for another indicator light?
-if you have a manual switch for the cooling fan, you could indicate "on"
-if you have running lights, also "on"
- if you have T-boost, you could indicate "enabled"
- many other possibilities.
I have a friend ( a instrument technician by trade) that rigged a single red indicator light on his Harley, to show only when the bike's voltage dropped below a set value - I think 12.3 volts. I'm not sure why he didn't just install a voltmeter. In any case, this would be another option for the blank space.
Cheers!

I have a friend ( a instrument technician by trade) that rigged a single red indicator light on his Harley, to show only when the bike's voltage dropped below a set value - I think 12.3 volts. I'm not sure why he didn't just install a voltmeter. In any case, this would be another option for the blank space.
Cheers!
Now those are great idea's

I think the voltage idea is a smart one. I had the led for an alarm in that blank on my old max, but will likely go this route you've suggested. Thanks for the suggestion.
Here's a nice one, that only flashes if it's too high. It's cheaper too!

http://www.customdynamics.com/LED_battery_gauge.htm (scroll down)

Miniature read-out
http://be.farnell.com/datel/dms-20pc-1-rl-c/dpm-led-3-5digit-red-low-power/dp/1339257

bit pricey though

Cheers!

a light showing whether the reserve switch is in the 'ON' position or not...:rofl_200:

I do not think that it will work size and range - I might be wrong but

DPM, LED, 3.5DIGIT, RED, LOW POWER
No. of Digits / Alpha: 3-1/2
M Function: DC Volts
Gauge Range: -2V to +2 V not enough range 0.0v to 15.0v
Digit Height: 9.4mm
Panel Cutout Height: 21mm
Panel Cutout Width: 34mm
Supply Voltage Range: 4.75V to 5.25V
Operating Temperature Range: 0 ? C to +60 ? C
Accuracy: ? 1 count
Backlighting Colour: Red
Bezel Height: 22mm
Bezel Width: 35mm
Character Height: 9.4mm
Character Size: 9.4mm
Display Size: 46.38mm x 32.51mm 4.5 cm by 3.2cm too big
External Depth: 12mm
External Length / Height: 20mm
External Width: 33mm
Humidity: 95%
Input Impedance: 1000Mohm
LED Colour: Red Low Power
Material: Polycarbonate
Max Operating Temperature: 60 ? C
Min Operating Temperature: 0 ? C
Range: ? 2V
Sample Rate: 2.5 samples / sec.
Supply Current: 7mA
Supply Voltage: 5.0V

Cheers!

Those are all suggestions as well......

I put in a digital voltmeter, But the body size was a little too big (thick) so it got hashed, and I screwed the face plate.
I later found a smaller, and thinner Volt meter for under $9.
I found it here: http://www.marcmart.com/goods-2788-...tage+meter+-+DC+32-30V+Red+-+Panel+Meter.html

Its specs are:

Dimention: 24mmx21mmx11mm
Color: Red
measuring range: DC 3.2-30V (No Need Power)
Display: 3, 1/2" digital display
Sample period:500ms
Resolution:1%+1digit

Another company has similar small meters under $5 here:
http://www.suntekstore.com/goods.php?id=14002343&utm_source=gbus

Its specs are:

Display Type: 0.36" LED digital tube, 3 digit
Power Supply: DC6-30V
Refresh Rate: about 300mS / times
Range: 0-100V
Input Polarity: DC voltage
Overload Capacity: 4 times range
Input Impedance: 100Kohm
Accuracy: 0.1% (?1 digit)
LED Size: 22.5 mm?14mm
Board size: 26?17mm
Operating Temperature: -40 ℃ -85 ℃
LED Color: Red

I chose the more expensive one cause its just a two wire, simple, hook-up (and I found this one first :) otherwise I probably would have went with the $4 one :bang head:)
As soon as my new face plate shows up, It will get installed and I'll post the pictures or a video.

The first pic is what it will look like, with the exception the digital readout will be a little bit smaller (I did the photo mock-up when I bought the bigger meter). The second is of the voltmeter itself, I hooked up to a battery and put it next to a scale for reference, third is just a close-up.

gaugesmockup.jpg

p1030516p.jpg

voltmeterz.jpg

Here is the old Voltmeter, The paperclips are 7/8" (the length of the new meters display) so you can see the unit was too big. It was about 3/4" thick (new meter is only 3/8" thick). I thought I could make it fit, but nope.

vmeter.jpg

if harlan's customer service wasn't as bad as a steaming pile of dog shit you could possibly contact him as he sells rpm point switches. put one of those off of the tac and put a super bright LED in there as a shift point?

Kuryakyn LED Battery Gauge

I have 2 of these, they work good. One is mounted on a tractor, the other on the triple clamp of my DRZ400. I would not recomend it. On the tractor it is no big deal, but on the motorcycle at night each light is bright, combined they are blinding. Each one is probably brighter than my single neutral light. On the DRZ I have black electrical tape covering all but the last green LED that stays on. At night I can still see the other LED's through the tape. Mounted on the brake resevoir (like shown on the website) would be equal to having a small flashlite in your face.

Latest posts

Back