Dungeons & Dragons player tried for murder after killing coworker with homemade sword

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Angel of Death

Reaction score
Dungeons & Dragons player tried for murder after killing coworker with homemade sword

By Matt Pordum
Court TV

flemons-inside-102406.jpg

DETROIT ? On Oct. 27, 2004, James Flemons walked into work with a homemade samurai sword and slashed his co-worker to death.

Prosecutors say Flemons, then 30, was angry because of constant bullying by the victim, Anthony Williams, and other co-workers at Peerless Metal Powders & Abrasive.

But Flemons' lawyer says he is schizophrenic with a psychotic obsession with fantasy role-playing games, including Dungeons & Dragons.

Opening statements in Flemons' murder trial are expected Wednesday.

Williams arrived at his job the day of the killing armed with a homemade 38-inch samurai sword. Witnesses told police that Flemons appeared to hand Williams a piece of metal in a chivalrous manner, as if challenging him to a duel, before chasing him and stabbing him to death.

The medical examiner ruled that Williams died as a result of "multiple chop wounds to the neck."

Witnesses told police that, after the killing, Flemons bought a beer and cigar at a nearby convenience store. He then returned to the scene and positioned Williams' body as if on a cross. Then he opened the beer and lit the cigar as he waited for the police to arrive, his colleagues said.

In a voluntary statement to police, Flemons admitted attacking Williams in response to constant bullying about his fantasy game obsession.

Less than a month after Williams' death, Flemons was found not competent to stand trial and was sent to the State Center for Forensic Psychiatry in Ypsilanti for further evaluation.

To be declared competent to stand trial, an individual must understand the nature of the proceedings and be able to assist counsel in defending their case.

Under Michigan law, the state has 15 months in which to medicate and treat individuals deemed not competent to stand trial. If the person is still found not competent at the end of that period, prosecutors can file to have him committed to a mental institution.

Flemons' lawyer, David Roby, said his client was deemed competent to stand trial only two weeks before the 15-month deadline was reached.

"The doctors said that even though he's hearing voices out of the television that are directing aspects of his life and he's suffering from other mood-altering delusions ... 'he's made such progress we think he's competent,'" Roby said.

Roby said Flemons was obsessed with magic, fantasy, the occult, voodoo, Santeria, telekinesis and spirits.

"He played Dungeons & Dragons and was obsessive with games of fantasy, anything that helped him get away from people and hide from them in his own little cocoon," Roby said.

The defense attorney rejected any notion that Flemons acted in a cold, calculated way, saying instead that his client is "delusional and psychotic."

"This is a case about whether, as a society, we hold the psychotic responsible for every act they commit," Roby said.

Deputy Prosecutor Kam Towns said her case will focus on the testimony of former colleagues who witnessed the attack and that of a forensic psychologist.

Towns also said she hopes to introduce Flemons' 1998 conviction of felonious assault for attacking his uncle with a samurai sword. He also attacked the police officer who responded to the scene.

He was sentenced to two years' probation.

Roby said that although Flemons was deemed competent to stand trial in that case, the doctors who evaluated him said he "probably was suffering from a thought disorder, a delusional disorder, which is to say, schizophrenia."

Wayne County Circuit Court Judge Annette Berry is expected to rule before trial Wednesday on whether Flemons' prior conviction can be introduced at trial.

If Flemons is found guilty of first-degree murder, he will automatically be sentenced to life in prison without parole. A verdict of guilty but mentally ill, however, would mean a life sentence in the prison psychiatric ward.

If the jury returns a verdict of not guilty by reason of insanity, Flemons would be sent to the state's mental health facility, where the doctors would maintain sole discretion over his fate. They could opt to release him at some point if they consider him well.

The jury also has the option of finding Flemons guilty of second-degree murder, which would require the judge to sentence him.

Flemons' trial is expected to last five days and will be aired live on Court TV Extra.

http://www.courttv.com/trials/flemons/102406_background_ctv.html
________
EXTREME-Q VAPORIZER TEMPERATURE

Last edited:
Maybe I'm a bit of a sadist but don't feel for Anthony Williams. People that mess with other people's minds can be playing with fire and especially bullies that enjoy bringing pain (mentally or physically) upon others. One never knows where the breaking point is and the consequences that could follow.

Being that I was also a AD&D geek back in the day, I somewhat agree. However, problem is, verbal abuse not matter how bad, doesn't deserve death.

In school, I as way smaller then everyone, was a computer nerd, D&D geek and just about everything else that gets you picked on and trust me, I was picked on. I got back at many of my tormentors but never in a physicly harmful way. The rest I never bothered with as I knew just them living out their misserable lives would be all the payback I needed.

An while I'll certainly admit that I had thoughts about beating the hell outta some of them with blunt or sharp objects, I kept reality in check.

Sure, some folks really are freaking nutz and yes, you are playing with fire by messing with them. But it's not like these people come with warning lables. On the other hand, no one has the right to screw with someone else that bad either. It's one thing to make a light hearted joke every now and then, it's another thing to constantly berate someone for what they do.

I could see putting a whoopie cushion in the guy's seat, or even superglueing his favorite coffee mug to his desk, but making a sword and hacking at him. Way overkill. Insane I don't know. The beer and the cigar rutine sounds a little to planned to help him get a insanity defence.

Re: Dungeons & Dragons player tried for murder after killing coworker with homemade s

Football team captain used to pick on me my first year of high school. soon after everyone else followed. stupid sheep.

Got them to stop though. Caught mr captain cock by surprise one day and rammed his head through a locker. Everyone left me alone the rest of the year, which was how I wanted it.

Can understand the guy wanting to do something to stop the abuse but there are better ways than killing. Mine wasn't exactly the best way either but it worked and the worst punishment I got from it was detention for one day.

(teachers sided with me for my reasoning.)

Calimus said:
Being that I was also a AD&D geek back in the day, I somewhat agree. However, problem is, verbal abuse not matter how bad, doesn't deserve death.

In school, I as way smaller then everyone, was a computer nerd, D&D geek and just about everything else that gets you picked on and trust me, I was picked on. I got back at many of my tormentors but never in a physicly harmful way. The rest I never bothered with as I knew just them living out their misserable lives would be all the payback I needed.

An while I'll certainly admit that I had thoughts about beating the hell outta some of them with blunt or sharp objects, I kept reality in check.

Sure, some folks really are freaking nutz and yes, you are playing with fire by messing with them. But it's not like these people come with warning lables. On the other hand, no one has the right to screw with someone else that bad either. It's one thing to make a light hearted joke every now and then, it's another thing to constantly berate someone for what they do.

I could see putting a whoopie cushion in the guy's seat, or even superglueing his favorite coffee mug to his desk, but making a sword and hacking at him. Way overkill. Insane I don't know. The beer and the cigar rutine sounds a little to planned to help him get a insanity defence.
I definitely agree that killing is not the answer in such a case and would never condone it. However, why mess with others in the first place? And if that brings satisfaction, there is something wrong with the person (sadist). Simple rule of thumb is to let others live their lives and not to stir any pots, cause one might just be the one that does you in. I think all these bullies should get the sh-t kicked out of them so they know what it feels like. They are just now finding out that many kids that get bullied in their youth, carry this through their whole life. I guess it can be a bit like rape where the victim gets traumatized for life. Nobody knows the breaking point of others, so why probe until you find it? All those school shooting are a result of bullying. The parents are just as much to blame for their kid's behavior.

I agree with all that everyone has said. There is no reason to pick on someone to get personal satisfaction. Here is another question that I don't know the best answer to.
How do you hold a "schitzofrenic" or "psychotic" person accountable? Are they not breaking the law the same as any other supposedly "Normal" person? Should society take on the burden of maintaining these people for the rest of their very pitiful lives. What kind of quality of life is there for a psychotic murderer in a mental institution? :confused2:
IMHO we should do society and the criminal a favor and just do them in. God knows his own and he is the only true judge on the matter.
DW

Back