During the "shotgun" I noticed...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MoPure

Reaction score
....while blowing air through the mixture screw holes, the air stream coming from PAJ2 starts with a good burst, then slows down. Except my #1 carb. It's just a steady stream of air through PAJ2. On the same token, the stream coming out of PAJ1 seems to be equal on all carbs. When I first started blowing through mix screw on #1, it was coming out in pulses. After blowing throught the rest of the jets, it was just a steady stream. Any ideas why #1 is different than the others? I'm assuming the pulsing has something to do with it. TIA

Dale

I've done the shotgun a number of times, I have never encountered a pulsing effect, I always flush the crap out of them real good in both directions, you don't have water in your air line do you? I'll use a whole can on 2 carbs.............Tom.

nope, air supply is dry. Do you know if PAJ2 goes to the coasting enrichment diaphram? That's the only thing I can think of that could have fluttered and then just blown on through steady.

I've ruined a couple coasting enrichener diaphrams by blowing carb cleaner through the wrong holes in the past. Bike wouldn't start for love nor money after they disintegrated down, into the carbs. Last ones I bought were over $45.00 per carb.

I've ruined a couple coasting enrichener diaphrams by blowing carb cleaner through the wrong holes in the past. Bike wouldn't start for love nor money after they disintegrated down, into the carbs. Last ones I bought were over $45.00 per carb.
Yeah, if there is any plastic/rubber in the area, I don't use carb cleaner. Brake cleaner might still do a "good enough" cleaning job without being as harsh on plastic/rubber components.

Just my $.02's worth.

Hadnt thought about the carb cleaner possibly hurting the diaphragms...was thinking that it was more the 100psi of air to an already weakened diaphragm. Haven't pulled it yet, but that's where my suspicions lie. Also, I wouldn't have thought brake cleaner would be any more gentle, but I'm not even close to being a chemist, so.....

Hadnt thought about the carb cleaner possibly hurting the diaphragms...was thinking that it was more the 100psi of air to an already weakened diaphragm. Haven't pulled it yet, but that's where my suspicions lie. Also, I wouldn't have thought brake cleaner would be any more gentle, but I'm not even close to being a chemist, so.....

It's the coasting enrichener diaphrams you should have to worry about corroding during the "shotgun" proceedure - since you should already have your slide diaphrams removed and safely out of the way to begin with. :ummm: Please tell me you had them removed for the shotgun proceedure you described having done...please. If you restrict the cleaner to PAJ1 & PAJ2, I don't think you'll hurt the coasting enrichener diaphrams. But my first couple times doing the shotgun, I thought to myself that I'd just go ahead and blast the cleaner down every little hole and orifice I could see in the carbs while I had them open that far. That's where I got schooled on the cost of addt'l carb parts.

And yes. 100psi should be used sparingly and carefully around a partially assembled carb. Damage could also be done to the floats, I believe.

Heck, I once stuck a blow nozzle with 125psi into a small lawnmower 3.5hp carb, only to have the tank rip open at it's seams and blast me with leftover gasoline - new tank cost me over $8.00 back then. :bang head:

yes, slide diaphragms were out. Last nite, I took the coasting enrich diaphragm out to inspect and it looked fine. So IDK. Reassembled everything, and synched carbs. Seems to be running ok after a short ride. I guess we'll see what it does on a longer ride in the heat. I also did a temp check after the short ride. Checking on the heads at the pipe couplings, I got these readings: cyl 1- 240 cyl 2- 255 cyl 3- 285 cyl 4- 250

I checked temps there because I couldn't really get to the rear pipes. So I figured they should all be equal right there at the head. That's my theory and I'm sticking to it :biglaugh:

Latest posts

Back