Dyna 3000 Lap Top Programmable

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rusty McNeil

Reaction score
I just spoke with Dyna on this lap top programmable unit.

The old dip switch programmable unit is completely discontinued.
The new lap top programmable unit has replaced it, and it's more than just programmable, it has all the features you'd expect on a modern unit.....
It still carries the same part number, D3K7-6 for the 90-07 bikes, and is the same price of $292.00

Very importantly, they are also building this unit for the early bikes, 85-89 as well, part number D3K7-7

So don't waste your time looking for one of those early long discontinued units.

He did say they are building them as fast as they can and supply is backlogged at times...

The tech guy says that it has two pre-built maps, which can be selected by switch externally between the two maps, and these maps can be modified individually between full throttle, part throttle, and retard curve for each of the two maps. The full throttle/part throttle selection is dictated by what the map sensor sees.

Each map has the advance curves for full throttle, part throttle, and retard/no throttle

It also has an external retard input, which activates the retard portion of the map your in, which also has three curves for full, part, and retard/no throttle.

This would be ideal for those of us with Widebands that wanted to use a programmable output on the wideband to drive retard, as an example;
Lets say I set my wideband to drive an output if RPM is over 7000 and a/f is leaner than 15:1, then it could be used to drive retard curve into operation to fight unintended detonation

Also has two rpm window switch outputs...with individually selectable on/off rpm points for each, whci could be used shift lights, nitrous activation etc...
Launch control....when clutch is pulled in it liimits rpm to programmable value...let the clutch out and the limit is removed.
Data Logging.........
And some other stuff I probably missed...
The installation instructions on the website havent been updated, still referencing the old unit, but if you go to software downloads for Dyna 3000, select for carbed bikes, unzip and install you'll eventually get to some PDF files explaining the features and an overview of the software....You can open the software and play a little but to do much very much it needs to be connected to the unit

I"ve attached a copy of the PDF for our bike...but if you download the software package there is more available...

Would anyone guess that I'm on three weeks vacation and getting bored?

Attachments

• D3K7-6 Yamaha VMAX 1990-2007 Install and Tuning Instructions.pdf
    185.6 KB · Views: 107
Didn't know they made a new Dyna without switches for our bikes. besides the lack of the dip switches is it different from the outside ? i am asking so if any of us in the future buy a dyna many stores may have in stock the old ones. Launch control .. and amany more. that will be interested.

Didn't know they made a new Dyna without switches for our bikes. besides the lack of the dip switches is it different from the outside ? i am asking so if any of us in the future buy a dyna many stores may have in stock the old ones. Launch control .. and amany more. that will be interested.

I have no idea what the unit looks like, their website seems to use the same stock photo for just about every Dyna 3000, which looks nothing like the old unit I have...

The new unit doesn't have any dip switches at all he did say that....you must use a lap top if you want to change the curves or set the other features. He did say it's plug and play if you just want to use the two curves in it already. You can run it without the curve selector switch too but all you'll get out of it is the "almost" stock curve...

Their tech guys have always been very helpful and willing to spend time on the phone, this is the 3rd time I've talked to them over the years....

The first was finding out that on the old discontinued units the curve sheet is NOT a typo, curve four IS more advanced tha curve five, he said engineering screwed up and thats the way it's always been

I have no idea what the unit looks like, their website seems to use the same stock photo for just about every Dyna 3000, which looks nothing like the old unit I have...

The new unit doesn't have any dip switches at all he did say that....you must use a lap top if you want to change the curves or set the other features. He did say it's plug and play if you just want to use the two curves in it already. You can run it without the curve selector switch too but all you'll get out of it is the "almost" stock curve...

Wrong, the curve N°2 (defaut) is a performance curve

dyna10.jpg

You can DL software here :
http://www.dynaonline.com/skins/downloads/

Choose Metric cruisers...

Their tech guys have always been very helpful and willing to spend time on the phone, this is the 3rd time I've talked to them over the years....

The first was finding out that on the old discontinued units the curve sheet is NOT a typo, curve four IS more advanced tha curve five, he said engineering screwed up and thats the way it's always been

It looks like the old one basically, with a couple cool blinking lights on top. The unit I had, which I believe was a prototype R & D unit, had a bunch of wires coming off it but they won't be on the production unit...and yes, it is plug 'n play.

The thing that impressed me the most about this unit was the way the bike ('86 PCW 1260) would start.....just touch the starter button and it's running! That feature alone makes it worth the money IMO. :punk:

Keep in mind the ignitech unit already does all of this and more. It can also run the vboost unit as well as ability to run COP's without resistors if desired. Timing curves for each gear, multiple inputs and outputs ect...

It looks like the old one basically, with a couple cool blinking lights on top. The unit I had, which I believe was a prototype R & D unit, had a bunch of wires coming off it but they won't be on the production unit...and yes, it is plug 'n play.

:punk:

Wrong too, they are on production units received in France:

GREEN/BLACK/RED 3-position connector – Connect to DMS-1 optional map selector switch.
PURPLE – Launch Limiter. Connect this wire to the clutch switch Black/Yellow wire, preset at 6,000 RPM (adjustable using CurveMaker)
YELLOW – Retard Input. Ground this wire to activate the preset curve when required (curve is adjustable using CurveMaker software)
BLUE – Optional 2-amp RPM window activated switch to ground, referenced as “RPM Switch 1” in PC Software.​
WHITE – Optional 2-amp RPM window activated switch to ground, referenced as “RPM Switch 2” in PC Software.

Good info Rusty, thanks. The more stuff available the better. I'm really liking the Ignatech unit. Either will give you the rev-limiter Yamaha should have provided. I'm set to 9600 and hit it more than I would have ever imagined. An upgrade in the TCI/CDI unit is recommended, if you
ride, aggressive might be the word?

Keep in mind the ignitech unit already does all of this and more. It can also run the vboost unit as well as ability to run COP's without resistors if desired. Timing curves for each gear, multiple inputs and outputs ect...
Sean,
do you have any of the ignitech units in stock. If so how much are you selling for?
Thank you,
Ryan

Yes, I have two units on hand. I think both currently have the 85-89 harness but I have later model harness's on the way. I MIGHT have a 90-07 harness on hand too. We can probably change one of these others to the later harness by swapping around some of the pin locations.

I sell them for $325 (including vboost adapter cable and computer connection cable) though I think Dingy sells them for less if he has them on hand.

I guess I've never really payed due respect or attention to the ignitech threads.

Is there a link to something that explains their capabilities and software?

I like your comment about different curves for different gears, with my engine the concept of pulling a little power in first wouldn't be a bad idea on the street. I guess this could be done by installing a venture gear indicator assembly, that can be done without changing the drum right?

To run the Vboost does it actually have two polarity reversing leads or does it take some external relays to make that happen?

The vboost can be totally controlled via programming and a dedicated cable running straight to the servo (eliminating the stock black box which can go bad on occasion anyway). I think the ignitech site has more info on basic stuff.

Not sure what you'd use as the driver to it would know the gear. A venture pickup unit would likely work and require NO internal modification. Pull the sending unit and swap in the new one (3 screws after you get the mid gear cover off).

Yes, I have two units on hand. I think both currently have the 85-89 harness but I have later model harness's on the way. I MIGHT have a 90-07 harness on hand too. We can probably change one of these others to the later harness by swapping around some of the pin locations.

I sell them for $325 (including vboost adapter cable and computer connection cable) though I think Dingy sells them for less if he has them on hand.

I can get you a 90-07 harness quickly if you don't have one. I owe you one anyways.

I am out of TCI's right now, sold last one a few days ago.

Gary

I guess I've never really payed due respect or attention to the ignitech threads.

Is there a link to something that explains their capabilities and software?

I like your comment about different curves for different gears, with my engine the concept of pulling a little power in first wouldn't be a bad idea on the street. I guess this could be done by installing a venture gear indicator assembly, that can be done without changing the drum right?

To run the Vboost does it actually have two polarity reversing leads or does it take some external relays to make that happen?

Ignitech unit has a dedicated output for the servo motor and inputs for the potentiometer feedback loop on the servo motor.

There is a tab in the software that allows the opening of the vboost at a user defined point ramped up over up from 2 to 10 rpm's settings.

It is also possible to vary the vboost opening in addition to the RPM range with a TPS installed. Have never tried it, but the setup is in software.

Something that was discussed a year or so ago, was a way to alter the advance curve on the bike, normally program changes require a laptop connection via a USB-com cable. The MAP sensor output voltage is directly tied to the advance curve in unison with the RPM curve. The RPM input is driven off the coil pulse, so it is not modifiable. The MAP senor output, however has the possibility of being manipulated on the fly, by raising or lowering a potentiometer resistance in series with the MAP output to the TCI. Again, never tried, but in theory, it could be done.

In regards to varying advance curve based on gear selection, a circuit could be designed to allow a different resistance be added, or subtracted to the MAP. The input to this circuit is via an existing Venture gear selector plate. Only used on 84-93 Ventures. No internal modification needed. This plate could also be used to drive a gear position indicator. I use mine to trigger three LED's in instrument cluster, 1st , 3rd & 5th gear each light a different LED. Didn't want 2nd or 5th, that would have made it harder, at a glance to see which gear bike is in, With no LED's lit I am either in 2nd or 4th, know which I am in 99.9% of the time. Picture of this attached. LED's aren't as bright as picture makes them look. This plate does drive an digital display on dash as well, but that requires looking at dash and focusing eyes to read it. LED's I added can be seeing without need to focus on dash.

Gary

Attachments

• IMG_5279.jpg
    IMG_5279.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 37
  • PICT3591.JPG
    PICT3591.JPG
    96.9 KB · Views: 35
  • PICT3593.jpg
    PICT3593.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 27

Ignitech unit has a dedicated output for the servo motor and inputs for the potentiometer feedback loop on the servo motor.

There is a tab in the software that allows the opening of the vboost at a user defined point ramped up over up from 2 to 10 rpm's settings.

It is also possible to vary the vboost opening in addition to the RPM range with a TPS installed. Have never tried it, but the setup is in software.

Something that was discussed a year or so ago, was a way to alter the advance curve on the bike, normally program changes require a laptop connection via a USB-com cable. The MAP sensor output voltage is directly tied to the advance curve in unison with the RPM curve. The RPM input is driven off the coil pulse, so it is not modifiable. The MAP senor output, however has the possibility of being manipulated on the fly, by raising or lowering a potentiometer resistance in series with the MAP output to the TCI. Again, never tried, but in theory, it could be done.

In regards to varying advance curve based on gear selection, a circuit could be designed to allow a different resistance be added, or subtracted to the MAP. The input to this circuit is via an existing Venture gear selector plate. Only used on 84-93 Ventures. No internal modification needed. This plate could also be used to drive a gear position indicator. I use mine to trigger three LED's in instrument cluster, 1st , 3rd & 5th gear each light a different LED. Didn't want 2nd or 5th, that would have made it harder, at a glance to see which gear bike is in, With no LED's lit I am either in 2nd or 4th, know which I am in 99.9% of the time. Picture of this attached. LED's aren't as bright as picture makes them look. This plate does drive an digital display on dash as well, but that requires looking at dash and focusing eyes to read it. LED's I added can be seeing without need to focus on dash.

Gary

Awesome post. Sounds like this unit really does ave a lot more capabilities than even the new Dyna unit. I'm gonna spend some time in your other threads and learn some more about it.

Oh, BTW, unless they're different from year to year the servo position indicators (on mine at least) only indicate via dry contacts, 3 wires, one common wire, 2nd wire closed contact when Vboost full open and third wire closed contact when Vboost full closed.

Anywhere between Vboost full open and full closed both contacts are open.

I completely disassembled mine way back including the indicator housing inside the servo, and found no potentiometer.

Awesome post. Sounds like this unit really does ave a lot more capabilities than even the new Dyna unit. I'm gonna spend some time in your other threads and learn some more about it.

Oh, BTW, unless they're different from year to year the servo position indicators (on mine at least) only indicate via dry contacts, 3 wires, one common wire, 2nd wire closed contact when Vboost full open and third wire closed contact when Vboost full closed.

Anywhere between Vboost full open and full closed both contacts are open.

I completely disassembled mine way back including the indicator housing inside the servo, and found no potentiometer.

Bear with me on this, as most know I don't have a VMax, just pieces & parts.

I attached a cut from the 2001 service manual that, poorly, shows how to check potentiometer in servo motor.

I have a servo motor that I use to verify operation of a v-boost hookup on TCI's that I sell to VMax owners that want to use the TCI to control the Vboost. I just hooked a ohm meter up to it, and it does vary the ohm reading across the leads on the potentiometer from 7.5K ohms to about .1K ohms as the output shaft of the motor is rotated. This ohms change is a linear change throughout the range, not like an on-off switch.

On the potentiometer cover 7.5k ohms is etched, leading me to feel that I am reading this correctly.

I don't know what year this particular servo motor came from though.

Picture attached.

Gary

Attachments

• DSC02384.JPG
    DSC02384.JPG
    179.8 KB · Views: 44
  • servo test VMX12- Service-Manual.pdf
    131.1 KB · Views: 13
Gary,
do you have any of the Ignitech units available for the 90-07?

Thanks Sean,
I need the 90-07 single pickup style. I have tried and tried again to contact Dingy but I get nothing but silence. Do you have any information you can send me on the Ignitech unit. I would really like to peruse any literature you might have on it. If I think it will work for me is reliable, and a replacement would be readily available if I needed one, I will purchase one. I have been aware of the new Dyna 3k for quite a while but some have experienced problems with software/possibly hardware and was waiting for them to work any of those bugs out. I was getting ready to go ahead and purchase the Dyna the other day when I heard of the Ignitech and all of the features it has (and I need). Sooo, I put the brakes on the Dyna and am trying to find out more on the Ignitech.
Thanks,
Ryan

Bear with me on this, as most know I don't have a VMax, just pieces & parts.

I attached a cut from the 2001 service manual that, poorly, shows how to check potentiometer in servo motor.

I have a servo motor that I use to verify operation of a v-boost hookup on TCI's that I sell to VMax owners that want to use the TCI to control the Vboost. I just hooked a ohm meter up to it, and it does vary the ohm reading across the leads on the potentiometer from 7.5K ohms to about .1K ohms as the output shaft of the motor is rotated. This ohms change is a linear change throughout the range, not like an on-off switch.

On the potentiometer cover 7.5k ohms is etched, leading me to feel that I am reading this correctly.

I don't know what year this particular servo motor came from though.

Picture attached.

Gary

I get what your saying 100%, and if I saw that I would say its a potentiometer too. There's no other way to call it...

Ill go back and check mine sometime and verify.

I assume the servo you have is from a Vmax of course....I don't know what else to say......
When I did mine with a fluke it went from high meg ohms to 0.2 or so with no linear change, just all at once right near close or open. Weird.

Maybe mine is hosed?

Latest posts

Back