Dynatek DK7 No Start Weirdness

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kassper

"We exist to do great things."
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just received a new unit from Dynatek. Been on the phone with Larry and we can't figure out why the bike will not quite start with the Dynatek unit but starts right up with the stock ECU. Something about my bike seems to possibly be unique and I'm hoping someone here might have a theory. The bike is supposed to be an 85, and I have the appropriate Dynatek unit and software.

I'm wondering if it is even possible that a different year model ignition has been installed in the bike and therefore the Dynatek isn't seeing what it expects. The red and green indicator lights are behaving as expected.
If I choke the engine then bring the lever up real fast she will sort of light but is very soft and not sustainable. That is clearly making a rich condition for a brief moment.
Timing from 100 to 1500 is set at 4 degrees bdc.

The stock ECU is labeled TID14-43 1FK-10. From what I've seen I think that is appropriate for an 85. Anyone have any ideas?

The carbs have Jetting #100, #170, #DJ160 mains, Stg 7 needles 4th clip, stg 7 springs, air correctors, drilled slides, and mixture screws set @ 3 turns out (per Dan Unwin).

It's basically a UFO bike (exhaust, seat, turn signals, engine covers, etc.)

Anyone got any ideas???

Got it sorted. For whatever reason my stock ecu does not give a shit about the kickstand switch. The Dynatek does. FYI for anyone else. No gods or kings, only man.

Got it sorted. For whatever reason my stock ecu does not give a shit about the kickstand switch. The Dynatek does. FYI for anyone else. No gods or kings, only man.

Do you have the sidestand switch bypassed? What was the way to resolve the issue? That information should probably be in an 'Electrical' sticky.

One way to check if the sidestand switch is working is to force it to do its job: to kill the engine if the bike is put into gear with the sidestand down. If you can keep the engine running with the bike in-gear and the sidestand down, something is amiss. Of course, you are disengaging the clutch when you do this.

Since I’ve owned the bike I had always been able to leave it in neutral and start the bike with the kickstand down. I didn’t bypass anything which leads me to believe that the stock ECU that I’ve been using for years and years somehow is broken and that it doesn’t see or require the side stand switch.

The way the sidestand switch is supposed to work, you can start the bike with the sidestand down. If you leave it down, and shift it into gear, even with the clutch pulled-in, it should kill the engine.

you can start it in neutral but the best way to check its function is to start it get on it pull the clutch put it in gear and use your foot to slowly push out the stand.Now it should not kill the motor until it has pushed out a distance if it kills it with a light touch you have a bad switch if it dose not kill it at all then it has been tampered with or you have a bad switch the odds that the run switch works and the kickstand switch doesn't and it being the box fault is astranomecal ! I hope I spelled that astro thing right if not fire medic help me out:oops::):)

Back