Dynojet Stage 1

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi folks!

A couple of direct emails brought me out of hiding and I found this thread. I don't post at all as I have just been tooooo busy.

Near as I can tell, http://vmax.lvhead.com has been online for 11 years and will be up as long as I breathe. What my email response to Chuck meant: I appreciate feedback from anyone/everyone. Knowing my site has helped, makes the project rewarding to me.

Back to the thread at hand..
IMHO, if you start tweaking idle mixture screws, you must also include carb synch in the process. You must first start at 17mm float levels and clean carbs. It can be complicated and I've been wanting to put final tuning into a tech tip, but it's hard to put into words, and I just don't have the time. Sal (my max) and I have seen over 37mpg, two up at a constant 65+ mph on a 120+ hp bike. It can be done.

Just my opinion and your mileage may vary!
Thanks again for the emails.

Ride Safe!

Doug
http://vmax.lvlhead.com

Have to say THANK YOU!! as well, Yours was the first bookmark, a month before I went to the dealers and bought mine back in 07. I still visit on a regular basis.

Welcome here Doug, and a big thanks to you!! I also found your site in my early days of MAx riding, and it's been a great source of info, especially the ref to the Shotgun.

It's hard to find time to make them, but we have a few good carb threads here too, detailing how to remove, clean, swap jets, adjust floats, etc all with a lot of pictures. It really helps :)

Stage 1 worked great at w.o.t. It just isn't the range I use when riding usually. Unless being chased down hill by a truck on fire. My milage went to crap. The light was on at 95 miles. Not good. The set up I'm using now get's me 120+ miles till the light comes on.

Hi folks!

A couple of direct emails brought me out of hiding and I found this thread. I don't post at all as I have just been tooooo busy.

Near as I can tell, http://vmax.lvhead.com has been online for 11 years and will be up as long as I breathe. What my email response to Chuck meant: I appreciate feedback from anyone/everyone. Knowing my site has helped, makes the project rewarding to me.

IMHO, if you start tweaking idle mixture screws, you must also include carb synch in the process. You must first start at 17mm float levels and clean carbs. It can be complicated and I've been wanting to put final tuning into a tech tip, but it's hard to put into words, and I just don't have the time. Sal (my max) and I have seen over 37mpg, two up at a constant 65+ mph on a 120+ hp bike. It can be done.

Ride Safe!

Doug
Thanks again for your great site, I'm no master mechanic by far but your easy to fallow directions complete with pictures made it a breeze to do the shot gun. I have forwarded your link to a lot of people, this Technic along with a carb synch is a must know for Vmax owners, it can save you a lot of time and money.

WHOO HOO! As I started to work on the second carb, I shot some air into PJ1 to retrieve the idle mixure screw. Only part of the mixure screw came out, and it was not a sharp point. I had to take a small wire to get what was left. Out came the spring, the gromet was in half and the rest came out in tiny pieces. The first carb, the idle mixure screw was intact with spring, gromet and new looking. It is a no brainer that this was the culprit to my issues. Is the idle mixture screw a in stock item at most Yamaha dealership parts counters? I'm a very happy boy right now. :eusa_dance:

WHOO HOO! As I started to work on the second carb, I shot some air into PJ1 to retrieve the idle mixure screw. Only part of the mixure screw came out, and it was not a sharp point. I had to take a small wire to get what was left. Out came the spring, the gromet was in half and the rest came out in tiny pieces. The first carb, the idle mixure screw was intact with spring, gromet and new looking. It is a no brainer that this was the culprit to my issues. Is the idle mixture screw a in stock item at most Yamaha dealership parts counters? I'm a very happy boy right now. :eusa_dance:

Good find man, probable not a in stock item. email Sean @ ( Morley's muscle ) he should have it.

Hi folks!

Ride Safe!

Doug
I'm very glad you're now here too. Your work has really helped a lot of people. Welcome
Steve

Hi folks!

Ride Safe!

Doug

Yes sir, thank you for your site and straight info! It was one of my first sites bookmarked for Vmax stuff as well.

Again Thanks,
Shane

Thanks again. Installed a fresh idle fuel mixture scew, a little smoky from the the Deep Creep for a bit, but it idled down to a smooth sweet rumble. No intermittent miss, nice and crisp. Will have a sync done to get it right on. But for right now, the sun is out and I'm going for a quick spin!

Last edited:
I have the Dynojet stage 1 kit. I had Supertrapp slipons with 6 discs and with a stock air filter it was fine. I installed a K&N and it was lean so I jetted it. I moved the c clips on the jet needles one notch closer to the jet than the center notch after reassembly and it running lean. After that it was fine. Has the bike sat for any length of time? May just be in need of a carb clean. I've seen cleaned carbs go bad in 5 weeks from sitting with all the ethanol in the gas now. If you have a stock air filter jetting it will make it too rich. I would keep your stock air filter and save your money on the jet kit. I can't tell any power difference.

Wow...Got it into VBoost and it set me back a bit. The bike runs much, much better with that bad idle mixture screw replaced. Solved my crappy starts from a stop too. Very smooth through the gears. I notice a few faint pops upon deceleration here and there, but at this point it is only tuned by ear and sound. A sync job will hopefully get it right. Guess what? I will be doing that myself too. Just need to pick up a carb sync meter from Ebay. Nothing better than learning your bike and doing your own work.

Feel free to bring that sync meter over in a few weeks once my bike is up and running so we can see how mine is doing lol.

That's what I'm talkin' about! Even a bit out of tune, I hit that VBoost and it almost made me pee. lol

CarbTune Pro-4 purchased today for $109 from Beemersboneyard.com. Thanks to all with your advice and experience. Nothing beats being your own VMax mechanic!

Last edited:
Cartune Pro-4 purchased today for $109 from Beemersboneyard.com. Thanks to all with your advice and experience. Nothing beats being your own VMax mechanic!
I bought my CarbTune years ago when the Stealership wanted over $100 to Balance my carbs.
It was a no brainer.
Now I synch the carbs every Spring and I'm good for another riding season.

Back