e85 coversions...... is there alot of southern states carrying e85?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

customizedcreationz

Reaction score
I know around me there is almost every station carrying e85 and the abundance of power that can be made from e85 is growing everyday.

So I am just curious of those outside Michigan, how is the e85 availability? My concern is if I convert to e85 and run outside of Michigan, am I going to run into problems finding it as my fuel source?

There is so many pluses to running E85 I can't see why not except.

Some concerns:

1 Availability
2 Not enough educated people to tune for e85
3 Loss of mileage

Octane rating:

E85 is roughly between 112 and 118 octane rating in true form, not 105 as its actually rated at the 300 degree testing we use to achieve that number.

Cooling benefit:

It cools the incoming air, which is super helpful in supercharged and turbo'd applications. I ve personally seen cars running e85 that show a 15-25 degree coolant and oil drop in temp and egt's that drop 175-200 degrees as compared to running gasoline prior.

It burns faster:

It burns faster than gasoline, at a 1:1 air fuel ratio, gasoline burns at 26cm/sec and ethanol burns at 41cm/sec. As you lean the air-to-fuel ratio, Ethanol continues to burn faster than gasoline. This is a major advantage over gasoline because it allows you to use more retarded ignition timing while still extracting maximum power out of the fuel. Retarded ignition timing is good because it allows you start the powerstroke later and harness the mechanical advantage the rod has on the crank as it's tilted rather than directly above crank.

So back to my original and only question.... is E85 available outside of Michigan in a normal abundance?

I am just concerned that I switch to e85, gain more power, pay less at the pump, but lose mpg ( which I am ok with ), and can't find a station to fill me up at.

See that concerns me.

As a great alternative to MR12 for a race fuel, it would suck for a daily ride to not be able to find fuel when I am down south.

I think I would really like to run E85, just too many advantages.... other then no availability.

I don't recall seeing any around these parts of MO/AR/OK. Not saying the larger stations in metro areas don't carry it, but that I've just not seen it at any of the smaller stations that Shala & I frequent.

ps. The "E" in E85 represents "Evil", and not "Ethanol" that most people think. ;)

I havent seen it in Tx/Ok/LA. I have seen more LNG places.....then I have E-85.

Evil, as in dog schitt for every day usage. lol

Evil, as in dog schitt for every day usage. lol

One of the downsides to it, is that it makes a 1/3 less power....as opposed to gasoline...so you have to use 1/3 more fuel. It only works in turbo or boost conditions....where you need high octane. It also works in vehicles that will increase the timing...etc....so it can be used.

Regular vehicles....there are nothing but downsides to it.

I've seen it at one station here in NY. It was A NOCO station. They also sell 91 without ethonal. On a side note my 2002 Caravan say unleaded or E85

I know we have a few stations but not sure how close. At least one station is 20 miles or more away so sort of negates going to get gas and needing it again when you get home.

Another important consideration of ethenol fuel is that it burns in a almost colorless blue fame that is nearly impossibe to see in bright daylight.

My bike caught fire while I was riding it recently, and I was barely sucessful after a hard fight, to extinguish it before too much damage to me or it. If my fuel had been ethenol, I would have probably have had to step away and let it burn instead of trying to extinguish it.

Here is all the E-85 stations in Louisiana:
Louisiana E85 Gas Stations

In Louisiana, you'll find 4 local gas stations in 4 cities that you can fill up your Flex Fuel vehicle with E85 Ethanol.
Baton Rouge Ferriday St. Joseph Tallulah

Back