Easy Fork Dissasembley Tool cost 2$

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Emempee

Reaction score
Just done my fork seals and bushes on a 91, my lower allen bolts would not budge with forks in the tripple tree or out, then one turned and I thought my luck was in but the damper just turned with it. Read here on the forum several quick home made tool options for holding the internal damper assembley and here's mine for what it's worth.
24mm bolt and nut bought for 20 baht (60 cents) took it to a local welder who supplied a 20" piece of steel tubing and had him weld the bolt into one end and the nut on the other end for 40 baht, including tube (1$28c). I cut a length of 2.5" off 10mm allen key for the lower end and used 10mm socket. The advantage of having 24mm at each end of the tube gives the option of mounting one end in the vice with the fork leg engaged on the other end so you can apply downward pressure on the allen bold when undoing, giving positive location on the damper assembley. Easy one man operation and a cheap 2 dollar fix worked for me.

Cling film works great for sliding the new seals on and slacken the top yoke allen bolt off before attempting to undo fork top (bolt and 2 nuts work great)

The mod monkey has got me and my wallet is getting thin :punk:
Fitted Tokico 6 pot calipers, Wavey disc's front & back, Coil over plugs conversion and 07 R1 rectifier/regulator FH011

Attachments

• DSC02108.jpg
    DSC02108.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 93
  • DSC02091.jpg
    DSC02091.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 98
Looks great! Problem is that there are different damper rods, the 24mm won't fit them all....so anyone making one of these holders needs to get a measurement off the top of their damper rod to see what it takes.

My '06, for example, didn't even have a hex receiver at all, had to use a broom stick sharpened like a pencil to hold it......why Yamaha ever did that is beyond me!! :confused2:

I had noted on previous posts the differences in damper assembley designs and I agree, seems unusual for Yamaha to have changed the design for newer models without updating their special tools list. Glad your sharpened pencil worked, once you removed the damper assembley was there any alternative way it could have been secured or was it just a tapered internal cone? As it is difficult to see done the fork leg when it is installed did you by any change take a picture of it when it was out? Only ask as I have just been offered a 04 model and this may have the same set up.

I had noted on previous posts the differences in damper assembley designs and I agree, seems unusual for Yamaha to have changed the design for newer models without updating their special tools list. Glad your sharpened pencil worked, once you removed the damper assembley was there any alternative way it could have been secured or was it just a tapered internal cone? As it is difficult to see done the fork leg when it is installed did you by any change take a picture of it when it was out? Only ask as I have just been offered a 04 model and this may have the same set up.

As near as I could tell there would be no 'special Yamaha' tool, or any other tool that would work in the newer damper rods....just the broom stick or something similar. An impact is really the best method but unfortunately, not everyone has access to one.

I've seen pics of the newer style damper rod but honestly can't tell you if I took them or someone else did! My photo files are slightly less than 'well organized' but I'll look.

I believe the '04 would be the newer style.

they switched sometime in '03. and wouldn't it be my luck that mine has the broomhandle kind.

Haven't had to use anything like that yet. Got a video out there showing you how to do it.

Sean

they switched sometime in '03. and wouldn't it be my luck that mine has the broomhandle kind.

same here. :bang head: it's been a while, but i recall not even being to use a broomhandle on my '04. i reverted to breaking the rod loose by keeping it in the tubes with fully compressed springs.

I haven't got an air compressor, so I have had one of these for years now.
http://www.4wdshop.com.au/equip/wrench.htm

Well, mine is similar, but only cost about $40 at the time.
It is completely invaluable, and works everywhere you would use an air impact wrench.
I used it on my forks when I did the seals.

I strongly recommend looking for them on sale in 4wd stores!

Just done my fork seals and bushes on a 91, my lower allen bolts would not budge with forks in the tripple tree or out, then one turned and I thought my luck was in but the damper just turned with it. Read here on the forum several quick home made tool options for holding the internal damper assembley and here's mine for what it's worth.
24mm bolt and nut bought for 20 baht (60 cents) took it to a local welder who supplied a 20" piece of steel tubing and had him weld the bolt into one end and the nut on the other end for 40 baht, including tube (1$28c). I cut a length of 2.5" off 10mm allen key for the lower end and used 10mm socket. The advantage of having 24mm at each end of the tube gives the option of mounting one end in the vice with the fork leg engaged on the other end so you can apply downward pressure on the allen bold when undoing, giving positive location on the damper assembley. Easy one man operation and a cheap 2 dollar fix worked for me.

Cling film works great for sliding the new seals on and slacken the top yoke allen bolt off before attempting to undo fork top (bolt and 2 nuts work great)

The mod monkey has got me and my wallet is getting thin :punk:
Fitted Tokico 6 pot calipers, Wavey disc's front & back, Coil over plugs conversion and 07 R1 rectifier/regulator FH011
Very similar thing I have made years ago and its still usable once in the while.

Latest posts

Back