Ebay shocks

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poolio

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone ever heard any reviews or have any experience with RBY piggyback shocks from Ebay? They look killer, but there has to be a reason they're so cheap

They are originally made for scooters. Will not last long when installed on the heavier Vmax.

Lmao, that's what I thought. Wasnt putting much thought into them. Really liked the looks.
Ohlins are a bit out of my price range. Gonna switch the front to progressive this winter, same height just a better spring. Trying to get all the stuff together before winter hits here in New England.

Go w/companies you know: Progressive Suspension (PS), Hagon (UK), Ohlins ($$$), I dunno if Koni is around any more...I just checked their site and saw nothing for motorcycles.

Another company I have seen in Motorcyle Classics is YSS Shocks, they have used them on some of their builds. They also have wave washer drop in front fork damping kits like RICOR or PS Cartridge Emulators. Drilling of the damper tubes is usually required as damping is them transferred to the wave washer stacks. Well worth the effort, I have a RICOR set for a VMax.

Currently have a set on my wife's 86 Yamaha Radian. They have approx 16,000 miles on them and they are finished.

Best to get a set of name brands that you can afford.

Mike

Go w/companies you know: Progressive Suspension (PS), Hagon (UK), Ohlins ($$$), I dunno if Koni is around any more...I just checked their site and saw nothing for motorcycles.

Another company I have seen in Motorcyle Classics is YSS Shocks, they have used them on some of their builds. They also have wave washer drop in front fork damping kits like RICOR or PS Cartridge Emulators. Drilling of the damper tubes is usually required as damping is them transferred to the wave washer stacks. Well worth the effort, I have a RICOR set for a VMax.

Kayaba, Wilbers, Works, White power, Penske, etc. If you want a good set of cheapish piggybacks go with the Kawa ZRX1200 or Suz GSX1400 (both Kayaba). Though the ZRX ones are longer quite a bit and need lower bushing replacement. I know you guys don't have the GSX1400 over there but the shocks are exactly like the ZRX but with the vmax stock length give or take. I may have a pair for sale if you are interested.
Read this: http://www.zrxocboard.com/board/showthread.php?49835-Getting-my-Ohlins-shocks-lengthened

Longer shocks quicken the effective steering head angle which results in quicker steering. I'd say that domestically the Prog. Suspension shocks are sold at a variety of price points and are able to be tuned via the springs to meet your needs. Increasing price across the line gives you more damping choices. The 13" 412 series is a good reasonably-priced OEM+ replacement in the stock length.

Thanks, I found these applications: http://www.ikonsuspensionusa.com/product-category/yamaha/

7610-1429 is the chart application for a Gen 1.

7610-1429 IKON Rear Shock Absorber and Spring assemblies. One Pair.
Max Length 13.27″ Min 10.59″ Center of Eye to Eye.

$420.00–$520.00

Koni decided to close its production of motorcycle shock absorbers (which it began in 1967) in 2000. This decision lead to a special license agreement being struck between Ikon in Australia and Koni. This allowed Ikon to make the motorcycle shocks under its own name for the worldwide market. The Ikon range has been available since 2001 and now is well established in its own right. Ikon carried the quality of the shocks forward and even improved them, expanding on the 76 & 7610 line with the 7614 Series, 3610 Series and the 3214 Series, as well as adding progressive fork springs to the inventory. Ikon Suspension USA is working closely with the factory to bring these quality components to the US market.

Koni shocks are now rebranded as Ikon.

I put a set of cheap RFY eBay shocks on mine - going well for 2 years now (I did change the springs a few months ago for a slightly stiffer set I had lying around)

%25255BUNSET%25255D.jpg

the air cylinder usually faces the back,was your choice?
how they compare to stock?

The brake bracket would hit the air reservoir so I had to turn it
They're shorter than stock (I wanted to drop the back) and work well for normal riding but they may bottom out if I carry a passenger - not a big problem because nobody will sit up behind me anymore

Back