Ebay special tail light installation

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RaWarrior

Reaction score
After the recent bout of douche-baggery from UFO, I decided it was a good excuse to get rid of the UFO tail light that came on my bike, which I never particularly liked anyway. Didn't think the oval shape "went" with the bike.

I started looking around for a replacement and found the monstermax unit, which I thought looks very cool, but at $350 and a 6-8 week lead time, that was waaaaay out of budget, since my budget was, as usual, as close to "nothing" as I could get.

Sean sent me a few suggestions and I checked out the midwest MC catalog, but didn't really see anything that struck my fancy.

I came upon this universal tail light on ebay, which I had also used for my quasi-legal minibike project. Taking a few quick measurements, I found it to be almost exactly the same width as the UFO unit that was there, but it's sleeker, and also noticeably brighter. Installing it actually turned out to be exceedingly painless also. I only remembered to snap a couple photos, but it's pretty straightforward.

First off, I removed the two bolts holding the old light in, behind and above the license plate. The light comes loose, but is still held pretty much in place by the wiring. To get at that, you'll have to separate the inner metal and outer plastic fender. Remove both the front and passenger seats. Under the passenger pad, there's two larger bolts(12mm) on the outside and a smaller one(10mm) in the center that hold the fender on, and pass through both inner and outer. Remove all three and the fender will come loose. Now to separate the inner/outer, there's two philips screws at the very back. Remove those and the halves will come apart, revealing the taillight wiring sandwiched between them. You'll also get a black plastic trim piece that goes around the light. I just cut the taped bundle several inches away from the light and set it aside.

The ebay light has two small studs for mounting, with a grommet off to one side that seals the wires coming out. Remove the left OEM grommet, and remove the metal spacer for the right one, but leave the rubber. The rubber "nub" on the ebay light that seals the wires is on the left side, and is exactly the same thickness as the original rubber on the right, so it sits perfectly straight.

Also fortunately, the studs on the ebay light perfectly match the width of the "lower" part of the taillight/plate bracket. I eyeballed it and got a perfect fit the first time. Drill two 1/8" holes at the very edge of this "lower" part, as in the photo below.

0129111337.jpg

Now, its a simple bolt on. The light's rubber nub and the one original rubber space and hold it securely in place perfectly level and straight. On this light, the black was ground, blue was running light and red was brake.

Here's what it looks like now. I'm planning to cut the plate bracket and shorten it up so the plate sits immediately under the light instead of hanging down a ways. The black trim piece looked weird with this slimmer light, so I got rid of it entirely.
0129111441a.jpg

I'm pretty sure the light output is higher than the UFO, and the lens on it makes it more "noticeable" as well....it reflects and scatters the light better. Before the UFO light made a roundish red spot on the wall behind the bike, maybe a foot wide where it's parked. With this one it lights up the entire space behind it evenly. I've had one of these lights on my minibike for a while, and it's severely beat on through sand, mud, dust, water, ect, it's mounted directly to the frame on a hardtail and I've had no issues with it, so the quality seems to be pretty good. When it's off it appears completely clear. Clear LEDs that light up red behind a clear lens. There's a few white ones facing downward for a plate light.

So, a cheap, IMO stylish tail light that happens to be easy to install. You can't see the inner fender unless you squat down directly behind the bike, as in the photo. From a standing position, it looks just like always so I don't really care a bit of the fender is exposed.

I used a very similar light but mounted on the reflector under the grab rail and used a led licence light where the original taillight fitted.It has worked well for such a cheap light.I have removed the inner guard and just used a piece of bent right angle steel to mount the light and licence plate .Your's does look good .Cheers Kevman.

I used the same light on my MT01 after the factory one came apart on the inside (due to vibration). It seemed to hold together, but I didn't think it was visible enough. Maybe that's just me. Nice light though!

Wow! That's an affordable light.

Looks great too. It will look better with the plate tucked up in there too.

Thanks for the info.

Those are ebay specials. Designed for scooters. We've used them before but they don't work all that well on the heavy vmax (they work great on the Fazer).

Sean

Thanks Sean , reason I asked was because I bought a pair off Ebay ( lionel ) before I asked for input on the forum...duh...:bang head:

Sooooo , if anyone has a Fazer...

I have no complaints about the rear shocks. They were on it when I got the bike and saw no reason to get rid of them. They look pretty cool too.

There's also a shraeder valve tucked inside the "reservoir" you can add air pressure to make them firmer, but I don't have any air in mine. I have never, ever bottomed them out, even getting air off the top of a 30mph hill, going about 90. Preload could still go a lot higher also...it's maybe 50% of the way down the threads. The only mark I can find is "nicetect" is stamped on the little bit between the shock body and reservoir.

I rarely ever ride with a passenger so for 2up I can't say, but otherwise I like them just fine. Comfortable ride and no "skipping" or "walking" when hitting bumps in corners, they keep the tire planted.

Its a decent looking light but something needs done with the inner fender and license plate bracket. It sticks out like a sore thumb. I think it would look pretty good if you could get it tucked up closer to the fender and get the plate right below it.

For about $10 or less you can go to the hardware store and buy some aluminum scraps to build a mount that tucks it all in a little better.

Cool, that's pretty much what I was thinking. Like I said the inner fender really isn't that visible unless you squat down and look at it straight on, but maybe to make it blend in a bit better I might take it apart again and paint the inner fender a flat black so it doesn't "stick out" as much. I was only home for an afternoon and I just wanted to get it fitted and wired in for now. Pretty-ing it up will come later.

And having the plate tucked right up below the light is what I hope to eventually do. How did you modify the softail HD bracket to bolt to the inner fender?

Cool, that's pretty much what I was thinking. Like I said the inner fender really isn't that visible unless you squat down and look at it straight on, but maybe to make it blend in a bit better I might take it apart again and paint the inner fender a flat black so it doesn't "stick out" as much. I was only home for an afternoon and I just wanted to get it fitted and wired in for now. Pretty-ing it up will come later.

And having the plate tucked right up below the light is what I hope to eventually do. How did you modify the softail HD bracket to bolt to the inner fender?

The steel inner fender license plate bracket needs to come off. I just drilled out the spot welds to take it off.

For the HD bracket, I trimmed/rounded off the side brackets and drilled a hole in each one to fit my signal lights, reshaped the upper rounded section of the bracket to fit the contour of the vmax fender better and drilled two holes under the taillight to bolt it to the inner fender.

That's pretty much it.

Mike

the light looks good, i'm going to look for one. also could u just bolt the plate up using the bottom holes on the license plate , effectively raising the plate right under the tail light?

Its a decent looking light but something needs done with the inner fender and license plate bracket. It sticks out like a sore thumb. I think it would look pretty good if you could get it tucked up closer to the fender and get the plate right below it.

For about $10 or less you can go to the hardware store and buy some aluminum scraps to build a mount that tucks it all in a little better.

I like it Mike! This is what I did last summer:

Attachments

• IMG_1198.jpg
    IMG_1198.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 31
I like it Mike! This is what I did last summer:

Great minds must think alike, Brian. I ended up buying a billet license plate frame and painting it black. My final product is very similar to what you have done. Are those custom dymanic led's? I was thinking about those but decided to go with some radiantz ones.

I removed the plastic plate that holds the reflector on the grab rail. I filled the hole where the reflector goes with some epoxy bumper repair stuff. I am trying to have my pap break out his routing table and cut me a couple grooves in it so I can install some radiantz leds in there. I'm hoping it will look similar to Gary Spradley's light setup. Pap has had it for quite awhile and hasn't done anything with it. Maybe he forgot, LOL!

Great minds must think alike, Brian. I ended up buying a billet license plate frame and painting it black. My final product is very similar to what you have done. Are those custom dymanic led's? I was thinking about those but decided to go with some radiantz ones.

I removed the plastic plate that holds the reflector on the grab rail. I filled the hole where the reflector goes with some epoxy bumper repair stuff. I am trying to have my pap break out his routing table and cut me a couple grooves in it so I can install some radiantz leds in there. I'm hoping it will look similar to Gary Spradley's light setup. Pap has had it for quite awhile and hasn't done anything with it. Maybe he forgot, LOL!
I used my Motorcycle mods mount to mount the CD leds to. I may fab up a piece of aluminum b/c I really wanted all 3 of the leds pointing rearward like yours, but there wasn't enough room on the mount. The led on the plate frame flashes 5 times then goes solid.

Back