EBC Pro-lites

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

racerboy

Reaction score
All beware when buying these rotors. Just got my set in to the tune of $435.00.
They look good, bolts rite on, but there is one jacked up issue. The OEM rotor holes where the bolts (6) go are recessed in for clearance. BUT! The Pro-lites are not.. The bolt head is so close to the fork, makes you wonder if they'll hit at all. Fork flexing etc, you can spin the tire, of course it clears, but the tolerance is zero, too close for comfort. Im thinking about perhaps having the 12 bolt holes machined to create the required clearance. If I do, is it gonna jack up the rotor holder plate? I dont think so, but I wonder though, these rotors are machined to some very exact tolerances, why in hell did they not create the recess? damn it!! Or, I could shave down the top of a 12 mm bolt that fits, but then may not have enough of a bolt head to bite into as I torque the fucker down.

When we sell them we have to counterbore them for the customer if used on the 93-07 forks.

Replace the crappy oem bolts. They are like cheese. SS ones with some copper grease

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Replace the crappy oem bolts. They are like cheese. SS ones with some copper grease/QUOTE]

I have use button head Allen fasteners for many years now.

Note that Yameringha specify that the rotor fasteners are (Blue) Locktited in place. This will also have the benefit if preventing galvanic corrosion and do the same job as copper grease but they can't come loose.
However, you will be best advised to use an impact driver to remove them.

Yes I do use the copper grease to prevent them seizing up. SS and aluminium don't go well together. I've never had a bolt come undone with the grease and had some trouble with loctite. If used I'd just go for a drop of blue.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

What I have found thus far for bolt replacements is minuscule at best, without doing a counter sink to each hole (12) I have no options actually. There is just not enough clearance. I did find an allen bolt head that was flat and would work if the threads went all the way up to the top or underneath the head. It was a bolt off of my CR450 rear sprocket.. I guess I'll have to find a machine shop here or maybe find the bit I need to do it myself.

I also have chrome low head bolts but it's not a lot lower then stock.

,... without doing a counter sink to each hole (12) I have no options actually...

As Sean mentioned, you need a counterbore for clearance. If you have a drill press and some skill, you could use one of these: http://www.victornet.com/detail/CBCS-M12.html

653.jpg

But for the amount of $$ you spent, the best route would be to have them counterbored by Sean or a local shop.

Hand counterboring them works just fine. Many drill presses have a stop you can set to prevent you from going too deep. You don't need much. Maybe .050" should give you adequate clearance.

Well, thxs one and all for the info, I did find a shop locally that does tons O engine work, saw them this past Sat. and they can do the work, they mic'd it, did some other calculations, gave them the OEM rotor as a guide, told them I need this to match that, $60 later, Im set. Mang! I could of done it myself, providing I had the gear!! Oh well, I'll never order EBC again...

Update. No joy on any machine shop willing to try . so screw them. I found a set of steel flat headed deep set allen head bolts (8mm, 28mm) at the local BMW dealer. The head is just below the OEM bolt head. Found my clearance without drilling. Mang! I'll never order that crap again...

Just a regular countersunk bore end mill for M8 and that's it no biggie. The stress is on shear moment not pull/push

Re: EBC Pro-lites Update!!

Finally!! No drilling, those machine shops can suck my ass! I got 12 bolts from the BMW bike shop, 8mm/26mm size. Mang fits like a glove! Looks like OEM.

Attachments

• lots o clear.jpg
    lots o clear.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 26
  • rotor.jpg
    rotor.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 28

Latest posts

Back