EBC vs stock Late model brakes

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rebar

Reaction score
Iv got a few questions.
My 85 with late model front end needs brake pads. Can someone explain the difference between ebc hh and organic, stock pads please.

I dont want more braking power (long story), but Im not sure what pads are installed now.

What year did Yamaha upgrade the front brakes and forks? early 90's right?

Correct me if I'm wrong

early 26H-W0045-11-00

Late 3GM-W0045-01-00 Replaced by 3GM-W0045-03-00

93 went to the larger forks. The sintered are the strongest braking power pads but also require a warm up period and are harder on the rotors. The organic pads work well but will have fade sooner with repetitive braking.

Sean

Thanks Sean.

I bought EBC HH pads for a 94. Wrong..

Sent the wife back today with my old pads. She came back with EBC Kevlar I60 series pads.:bang head:

organic pads are made with man made fibres such as Kevlar or Twaron bonded together with a petrochemical resin and sintered metal pads are copper alloy fused together under heat and pressure.

My old pads must have been HH because they look cooper. Guess I need to send the wife back a third time.

HH's and Kevlar pads will both work fine. Most run the HH on the fronts and "Green" or organic on the rear.

So when did the brakes go to 4 pistons? After 94 looks like.

Thats what I thought, but the 94 pads didnt fit. They were smaller.

Any idea what sumitomo calipers and rotors I have on my Ego tripp wheels?

Attachments

• vmaxcaliper 003.jpg
    vmaxcaliper 003.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 22
I will say...

I replaced my front pads with EBC HH sintered.

Pulled out EBC pads of regular nature and the stopping power was almost exponential.

I am much more confident with my stopping now.

FYI

Brian

I will say...

I replaced my front pads with EBC HH sintered.

Pulled out EBC pads of regular nature and the stopping power was almost exponential.

I am much more confident with my stopping now.

FYI

Brian

If I had the HH pads back in 87, I wouldn't have 9 titanium screws and plate holding my elbow together today. ABS in the rear would have helped me as well.

Now for my 85 Vgas with braided lines, 4 piston calipers and HH pads. Almost to much power. Front tire got a bit squirrely when I saw Johnny Law one day. I hardly ever use rear brakes anymore.

As far as identifying the pads I guess the best route is to back track the parts with the stealership.

160 sounds like the right number to me. FA160 is EBC standard pads. FA160HH is Sintered. To make it easier have her get 2007 Pads. They may be giving her 1992 and older pads. OEM part number is:
3GM-W0045-03-00 (replaces 3GM-W0045-02-00)

Why aren't they fitting?

Sean

160 sounds like the right number to me. FA160 is EBC standard pads. FA160HH is Sintered. To make it easier have her get 2007 Pads. They may be giving her 1992 and older pads. OEM part number is:
3GM-W0045-03-00 (replaces 3GM-W0045-02-00)

Why aren't they fitting?

Sean

The overall length of the FA160 pads are 75mm. The 3GM-W0045-03-00 pads the wife first bought were shorter. Maybe 65mm, but not sure now since the exchange.

I would have if I was sure what I needed.

One of these days Sean will build me a 1500. My magnetic oil drain plug told me this.

It's normal on a bike with the clutch in the engine oil... I wouldn't worry too much about that.

I bought EBC HH pads for my '06 and they fit with no issues.

You're front calipers are just polished stockers.

Chris

Latest posts

Back