Ecu flash absolutely necessary?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mavgrab302

Reaction score
Title says it all. I know to get full potential out of your bike a flash is a must but how detrimental is it if you wait a bit after putting mid pipe and slips. I ask because to make a long story short this whole virus thing has my income questionable and looking at a rather large pay reduction. I was going to buy everything all at once then when i get my ecu back install everything but I plan on buying the exhaust installing it and then doing ecu a bit later. I know it will run lean but how bad?

I put around 500 miles or so on mine before I got the reflash. It's ok, but it sounds stupid riding around town with that factory lean surge when your cruising...... You can definitely hear it and feel it.

Yeah i didnt figure it would be a big deal being Im not touching the air box just yet. Im curious with nash flash do you have to also buy a wideband co2 sensor?

Yeah i didnt figure it would be a big deal being Im not touching the air box just yet. Im curious with nash flash do you have to also buy a wideband co2 sensor?

You will be OK, but keep in mind there is a lean cylinder from the factory that will be made worse. Probably no harm to the engine but the "ridability" will suffer. The ECU reflash will totally fix that.....a Power Commander can do that too, but you would need to add bungs on each cylinder exhaust tube to be able to make an accurate adjustment. With one the one bung that comes on aftermarket exhaust systems you cannot do individual cylinder tuning because all of the exhaust gasses are combined.

The big problem was that early on before there was a reflash available owners were having their bikes tuned on a dyno with a just a Power Commander. There are some rich spots in the factory tune and and when the tuners pulled fuel in those areas.....the lean cylinder could get lean enough to be dangerous to the motor.

No, no wide band O2 needed. I ran mine with a K&N, restrictor removed from the air box, with the voodoo de-cat, and slip ons....... But like I said it sounds like crapolla with that stupid lean surge from factory.

I would leave it oem stock until you can have nash flash done. Also you should to dd clutch mod and air box mod. The gen 2 vmax will run in the 10s stock so be patient take care of your Maxx. Just my opinion.

I'm no expert on Vmax's. I like my 2017 Vmax in its stock form, Runs Perfect, no surging or anything I have read about that others have had. Mine is a bit slow picking up speed on the low end but pulls hard and steady after the about half throttle, I am comparing it to riding a ZX14R. It's like it has a delayed throttle response or something, maybe because these bikes are so heavy.
*The only thing I would be interested in, with a Nash Flash is if I could get a much quicker acceleration in the low rpm range.
I had a New 2017 Kawasaki Zx14R in 2017. That bike was Way Faster (noticeably faster anyway) in the low end than this Vmax is. It was about 200lbs lighter though to if I remember correctly.
That Stock ZX14R had 3 power levels the owner could adjust as needed. When that ZX was in the highest power position (I don't remember what the 3 power levels were called) it would flat out FLY!! It would Definitely beat up on any Stock Vmax 1700. Hard really to describe the power delivery on it.
It would have been So Cool if these Vmax 1700's had come stock with the 3 level adjustable power, wouldn't need the flash.
When I give my Vmax Full Throttle it feels to me like the power/speed is trying to catch up to my throttle position.
I Love the Rider Position on my Vmax. Very Comfortable, I could ride all day on and not be sore.
(I had to sell that ZX14R cause my neck would really start hurting trying to look up/forward all the time in that sitting position. I really enjoyed riding it though.)

I'm no expert on Vmax's. I like my 2017 Vmax in its stock form, Runs Perfect, no surging or anything I have read about that others have had. Mine is a bit slow picking up speed on the low end but pulls hard and steady after the about half throttle, I am comparing it to riding a ZX14R. It's like it has a delayed throttle response or something, maybe because these bikes are so heavy.
*The only thing I would be interested in, with a Nash Flash is if I could get a much quicker acceleration in the low rpm range.
I had a New 2017 Kawasaki Zx14R in 2017. That bike was Way Faster (noticeably faster anyway) in the low end than this Vmax is. It was about 200lbs lighter though to if I remember correctly.
That Stock ZX14R had 3 power levels the owner could adjust as needed. When that ZX was in the highest power position (I don't remember what the 3 power levels were called) it would flat out FLY!! It would Definitely beat up on any Stock Vmax 1700. Hard really to describe the power delivery on it.
It would have been So Cool if these Vmax 1700's had come stock with the 3 level adjustable power, wouldn't need the flash.
When I give my Vmax Full Throttle it feels to me like the power/speed is trying to catch up to my throttle position.
I Love the Rider Position on my Vmax. Very Comfortable, I could ride all day on and not be sore.
(I had to sell that ZX14R cause my neck would really start hurting trying to look up/forward all the time in that sitting position. I really enjoyed riding it though.)

The Vmax comes with a power limiter in the first gear you only get like half the power until around 30mph or so, Part of owners complaints as well, after the Nash flash I was doing burnouts in 3rd gear bouncing the Rev limiter. To much liability I guess, the first gen was nicknamed the widow maker in 85 when it first came out. It's burnouts on demand now, seriously have to watch it on corners. But it's not undrivable, still docile if you ride with a brain. Can't compare the Vmax to anything but another Vmax. That's like comparing a top fuel dragster to an indy car. There is allot the Nash flash does, if you get the chance to ride a gurued Vmax don't hesitate. Total night and day difference. Like jeckyll and Hyde.
On another note, Tim offers a stock flash about half the price that does just what your asking with a completely stock Vmax.

Yeah i installed the delkevics mini 8” yesterday and see what y’all mean about the low rpm surge or flat area of the rpm. Boy these cans are LOUD though. Love it. Thanks for all the input i was pretty determined to get the nash flash, then do the air box mod and double d. Although while on my 01 i had to dd because slipping this thing spins the tire at 60. So not sure if its needed at tis point. Rotella 20 50 lets this clutch grip. Later on ill likely just get the OTEC loc clutch with windowed case. Yeah power on demand its nuts. Im not sure if mines been reflashed it still has the green densco sticker on ecu but it has a hard time 1-3 getting grip. I got pretty good at drifting my 01 something about gen2 scares me though. The weight of it and me being 180lbs makes me feel i dont manipulate it as much. Lol get back to you in a year. Lol

The Vmax comes with a power limiter in the first gear you only get like half the power until around 30mph or so, Part of owners complaints as well, after the Nash flash I was doing burnouts in 3rd gear bouncing the Rev limiter. To much liability I guess, the first gen was nicknamed the widow maker in 85 when it first came out. It's burnouts on demand now, seriously have to watch it on corners. But it's not undrivable, still docile if you ride with a brain. Can't compare the Vmax to anything but another Vmax. That's like comparing a top fuel dragster to an indy car. There is allot the Nash flash does, if you get the chance to ride a gurued Vmax don't hesitate. Total night and day difference. Like jeckyll and Hyde.
On another note, Tim offers a stock flash about half the price that does just what your asking with a completely stock Vmax.

Great to know!!

I have read about the different Nash Flash levels. I did talk to Mr. Nash on the phone back in 2015 about the different flashes, I could not make up my mind at the time though, plus at that time, the Vmax 1700 was the most powerful Stock bike I had ever ridden. (I had never ridden a ZX14R)
I will eventually give him a call again and see if I could get what I want out of this bike "and still leave it in stock formation" otherwise. It's a Fantastic Bike to ride just as it sits though. One of the things I really like about these Vmax 1700's is the Braking Compression, when I let off on the throttle how the bike slows down so quickly compared to any other bike I have ridden.
If I could Keep the Stock Braking Compression and still gain the Instant Hard Throttle Response you all talk about... that would be all I would want.
*I would really like to have a similar throttle response on this Vmax 1700, that I had on that ZX14R!!!
(Thanks for letting me join your thread)

A re-flashed VMax will leave a tuned ZX14R in a low rpm 2nd gear roll on,. It won't come around you until you're in 5th gear. If you start with the 14 in its power band then it's a different story.

I havent seen a zx14 yet but neighbors busa dont catch up till im on limiter for a second or two. Lolbit I am butning through this Battleaxe quick

I rode my buddies zx14, bone stock, 110 mph in first gear. It's fast, but not Vmax fast.

Vmax is easier to ride a vMax is easier to launch but someone that knows how to ride and launch a 14 will take your VMAX in the quarter mile and top end let's be real. That does not mean that V-Max is slow by no means. And most Busa and 14 Riders can't launch their bikes so it would be a race from the dig for me. And then I would just hope the rider is not good at launching. I've never seen a 400 horsepower VMAX that matter never seen a 600 horsepower I have seen bking's Busa sand 14s with that kind of horsepower

Well he’d spank me on my 01 and he is pretty versed on it being the original owner since 2008. Even from a 60 mph roll its a repetitive win for vmax, hell we had to of done that 20 times thus far. If you going from a 80+ roll of maybe not but i am pretty convinced a bike made for 1/4 mi is going to do what it is designed to do taken the riders know how. Are there lesser bikes that can stand up of course but your run of the mill its going to be tough long as you can stay grounded and from spinning. That is my opinion based in experience.

Last edited:
Back