Effects of wheel and suspension mods

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tvmax

Supporting Member
Reaction score
How much difference do 17" wheels and tires make to handling? What about USD forks wheel and brakes from a 95 GSXR1100? Is that a good choice? I am a heavier rider. Do the forks need to have heavier springs? Is this difficult to do on USD forks? I have done racetech springs and emulators on stock forks before. Just wondering if anyone has a similar combo?

I cant tell you a lot about the USD fork, since I am using the OEM fork with progressive springs. That serves me well.

What I can tell you is that the differences to swap out the OEM rims and tyres into 17" is a massive improvement. Especially when you live and ride in a mountain/hill area with lots of bends - thats where I live. For expample we are planning a ride to Umag, Croatia where they have a big V-Max meeting. This is just about 500 kms, but even on google maps its about 10-11 hours to get there. Without breaks, filling stations and whatever we do usually in a days time.

However. In my opinion swapping to 17" rims and 180/190 mm wide radial tyres rear transfers the bike from a vintage construction into a very useable modern bike (as far as possble). I feel a lot safer to ride it and the fun feeling the power and able to manage or even control it when you ride on narrow roads is really endless.

I also swapped out the rear suspension and now honestly I dont have any wobble, also on uneven roads in high speed curves. It was expensive but also a remarkable improvement. I feel very safe and feel like never even coming close ot the limit of my ability riding my 30++ years old ride.

To be honest, making all the improvements for handling leaded to the limits of the OEM brakes, I had fading quite soon and I had to improve the brakes this winter. Not very expensive, but I hope now I have also eliminated this flaw. The guy who sold me the bike has improved the bearings and guides already, so - handling is important for me and I am happy with my Max after all work done on her.

Latest posts

Back