EFI conversion on a Gen-1

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And alot more power. Only downside is also alot bigger.
Not really.

Gen 1 Vmax vs. Gen 2 Vmax / Differece

Weight: 631 vs 694 / +10%
Engine Size: 1197cc vs 1679cc / +40.3%
Horsepower: 145 vs 197 / +35.9%

Think about it. You made a bike with an engine 40% larger, with 36% more power and only increased the overall weight by 10%.

That's flat out getting it done.

You can increase the weight of a Gen 1 more than that depending on who sits on it.

Sitting on a gen1 to a gen2 is a big difference
That's true!

Even just looking at them there's a massive difference. That's what makes it that much more amazing that when it's all said and done the actual weight difference between a Gen 1 and a Gen 2 is about the same as someone that weights 203 lbs. sitting on a Gen 1 Vmax rather than me at 185.

Hi,

As mentioned in the opening post, I would appreciate this topic to remain on-topic to record my build and focus on the technical details. The topic below could be used to continue the discussion if it would be worth it. My reasoning is in the opening post.
https://www.vmaxforum.net/threads/electronic-fuel-injection-cv-carbs-to-tbi.9584/
On-topic again: In a month, I will take the bike out for about a 1000KM drive, so need to make sure the electrics are water tight. For this, I needed to seal the O2 controller. First step was having a buddy of mine 3d print a casing:
16.jpg

Next, installed the O2 controller. To make sure the potting compound doesn't pour out, I used some liquid gasket to seal it:
17.jpg

After pouring the potting compound and leaving it to settle for 24 hours, it was sealed nicely!
19.jpg

And tied to the bike:
20.jpg

Also, I used some fuel line clamps it replace the ones you see on the lines on the picture above. This looks a lot more stock.
22.jpg
On the right, my current controller and housing are shown. On the left, the new one which has smaller components. Will install that after the trip I`m going to make.
21.jpg

So far, I`ve driven it for about 400KM, and it works just fine. No hickups or any issues whatsoever :). Tuning is still not done though and requires some more fine-tuning. When the final map is done, I will share it here. So for now, more riding is required. It`s a hard job but someone has to do it :)

Last edited:
That sounds promising. Why didn't you just screw-on a top cover w/gasket sealer on the edge?

That sounds promising. Why didn't you just screw-on a top cover w/gasket sealer on the edge?
That's not going to guarantee a water tight / moisture tight seal. His way will. With a hollow box just a rain shower can change the humidity enough to cause condensation inside the "box" if it has a lid on it and cause a short / failure. Filling it with potting compound completely eliminates that possibility.

Indeed, the reason is like Parminio mentioned. Also, there`s nothing to adjust on the O2 controller. It just 'controls' the O2 sensor and sends a 0-5v signal towards the Speeduino which is pre-calibrated to take that signal and get the actual AFR reading out of it. In earlier test, the controller was equipped with an LCD display and the readings on the display and the Speeduino were the same.

The new Speeduino housing is IP65 rated so that should be able to take rain hitting it from all angles. The challenge I`m working out now is how to make a connector on that housing that is water-tight. Alternatively I could use some cabling through a bulkhead fitting and use water tight connectors as shown below. That way it`s completely water tight while it still can be opened for maintenance/modification. More work required there.
1627414692986.png1627414692986.png

@Sidecarjohn: No worries, we`re good!

re: water-tightness - are you not worrying about problem that does not exist? It all depends on where you site the unit; as far as I am aware, none of the connectors I have seen (vboost, indicator relay, lighting, igntion coils, fuel pump, head lamp) have any sort of protection against water ingress.

re: water-tightness - are you not worrying about problem that does not exist? It all depends on where you site the unit; as far as I am aware, none of the connectors I have seen (vboost, indicator relay, lighting, igntion coils, fuel pump, head lamp) have any sort of protection against water ingress.
Here's where he has it installed for now:

1627476651433.png

It is my understanding that during the build he's not completely reassembling the bike, so that box is exposed; hence the need to protect it.

That box is the O2 controller. With the potting compound, you can sink it to the bottom of the ocean and it will still be fine :). The Speeduino is located in the grey box as shown above. The insides look like this:

1627493575770.png

The unit sits behind the left scoop:
1627493640301.png

And that is not a water-tight position. Wherever you position it it should be able to withstand some rain so better be safe than sorry. The connectors indeed don't need to be water-tight since I`m getting new connectors, but why not make it better than the original connectors. It`s just a couple of euros more so I`ll go in that direction. Making sure the cables get out of the Speeduino unit whilst still being water tight is an issue. I could get cable like this:

1627493929603.png

And make it go out of the unit using a grommet:

1627493867513.png

But I doubt that`s 100% water-tight and also in theory, water could get into the unit via the cable jacket.

A connector like this would be perfect:
1627494102562.png

But that`s $133 ex shipment and tax!

So still some more searching is required :)

Great looking project.
After reading through your posts I have a few questions I didn’t see answers to.

1. did you batch fire the injectors all together or alternate them as 2 outputs?
2. How did you group your injectors if you are alternating the batch fire? 1-3 then 2-4? Or 1-2 then 3-4
3.Are you just triggering from the #1 coil output or 2 coil outputs?

Again great project and looking forward to what you do next on it.

Marine connectors ?
Thanks for the suggestion. I had a look but they seem to be very robust as they should be for marine purposes. However that also makes them very big and not suitable for my application. Will continue to investigate :)

Great looking project.
After reading through your posts I have a few questions I didn’t see answers to.

1. did you batch fire the injectors all together or alternate them as 2 outputs?
2. How did you group your injectors if you are alternating the batch fire? 1-3 then 2-4? Or 1-2 then 3-4
3.Are you just triggering from the #1 coil output or 2 coil outputs?

Again great project and looking forward to what you do next on it.

Hi barrmust1, Thanks for the feedback! Below, I`ll try and answer your questions.

1. I`m using all four outputs from the Speeduino but tied them together as pairs (Semi-Sequential).
2. I`m using 2 squirts per engine cycle basically providing the same as wasted spark. Injectors 1-2 are tied together, same as 3-4 since the firing order is 1-3-2-4.
3. I want to trigger in the pick-ups since that gives a true signal. The #1 signal advances with RPM and TPS so it will also affect the injection timing. During testing, I found out I cannot always use the pick-up signal because on low rev`s when the battery is down, it doesn't see the pulses. Therefore, the first 100 pulses are now being taken from the #1 cylinder providing enough time for the bike to start. After that, it switches to the pick-up signal.

Thanks RampageR1,

How are you triggering off the #1 output signal for the coil and then switching over to the crank sensor outputs after 100 pulses?

Nice work so far! Accomplishing more then most that have tried before you. Well done.

Thanks RampageR1,

How are you triggering off the #1 output signal for the coil and then switching over to the crank sensor outputs after 100 pulses?

By modifying the source code. It`s very simple and looks like this:
-------------------
void triggerPri_BasicDistributor(){//This connects to the pick-ups for cylinders 1 and 3. Used after the first 100 pulses
if (reachedCrankRPM == 100){
trigger_BasicDistributor();
}
}
void triggerSec_BasicDistributor() {//This connects to the #1 cylinder spark signal through Ignitech. Will be used for starting and the first 100 pulses. This is needed since the pick-up signal is too weak when the battery is low.
if (reachedCrankRPM < 100){
reachedCrankRPM++;
trigger_BasicDistributor();
}
}
-------------------

If you are interested, I could share the entire modified sourcecode with you or the delta on the public sourcecode.

Latest posts

Back