Electrical all die out after I hit the start button

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Specs95t

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Last night, my wife and I took a quick ride up to a local state park to watch the sun set. All was good until we were ready to head home.

I turn the key on, everything comes on as usual. I hit the start button and the whole electrical system dies (no headlight, no dash lights). I cycle the key - no change. I cycle the run switch, tap start button, lower and raise kickstand, pull in clutch lever - all no change. No system power anywhere.

Luckily, I have trolled through this forum and have followed some good advice...so I pop the the fuel filler section of the seat and remove the center section (no bolts...)

I end up looking around in the cool pack area, find a small 3 A fuse, pull the fuse (it's good), put it back in. Now power is back! Headlight works, dash lights are up. I hit the start button - everything goes out again. I do this back and forth several time - same 3 A fuse cycled will "reset" the power on the bike, but as soon as I hit the start button (kickstand up, neutral, clutch level in) the electrical system dies.

So now it is getting dark, park closes at dusk.

There is a good sized hill. I reset the system. All on. Get a good start down the hill and think I can pop the bike in second gear. Yeah right... The good news is that I haven't check compression and don't think I will need to. It's there...

So not I am back to removing the seat and looking at more wiring. This time, turns out I left the ignition switch in the on position, because as soon as I touch the fuse holder ( fuse still in) the power comes back on!

With the seat off, in neutral, clutch in, I tap the starter and the bike starts up like every other day over the past 6 weeks!

Sounds like I need to do the harness crimp fix.

Looking for any advice or any other troubleshooting tips...

PS end of the story is that Zveruga got us home with no further electrical gremlin issues...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Please post a pic of the "3 A" fuse , and the location, that you pulled and "reset" to get the bike going.
There is no 3 amp fuse used in a stock bike.
I suspect it was the 30 amp main fuse that you pulled, located under the rider's seat (the "cool pack" area?) If this fuse fails , all power is lost, as happened to you.
Maybe a previous owner had replaced the main fuse with a circuit breaker type?
In any event, if it keeps tripping, the fuse/circuit breaker is defective, OR there is a short in the main circuitry, and it is preventing a possible fire by failing/tripping.
Cheers!

Found it!
I started with the basics and found the battery connections were loose!

I'm also going to trace the 3A fuse to whatever it is connected to. It sits right next to the main 30A fuse over the positive battery terminal...

The 3A fuse goes to a plug for a battery tender. (Bonus)

Found it!
I started with the basics and found the battery connections were loose!

I'm also going to trace the 3A fuse to whatever it is connected to. It sits right next to the main 30A fuse over the positive battery terminal...

Glad it was something simple (electrical problems most usually are), and that you started with the "basics"......always a good move!
But be forewarned - these bikes are notorious for having electrical gremlins, usually amounting to poor or corroded connections. 'Tis a good idea, anytime you have any covers off, to disconnect any connections that are easy to get at, clean them, and reassemble using di-electric grease. A simple preventative maintenance job that may save you a lot of grief in the future.
As well, you might want to invest in an on-board voltmeter, since charging problems are so common as well. This will give you a heads-up if things start going south, and could save you a long walk or the cost of a towtruck to get your bike home.
Cheers!

Back