Electrical connector cleaning

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tvmax

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can someone give me any tips/suggestions for cleaning the connectors on my wireing harness? I want to run thru my harness to ensure I have good connections.

Thanks
Jim

I've always used (NON CHLORINATED ONLY) brake clean as it doesn't leave any residue behind and then let dry and use dielectric grease.

Brake cleaner is great but if you have a lot of corrosion or want to get the cleanest possible you can always dip or run a baking soda/ water solution over the contacts. Then follow up with the cleaner.

Sean

Isopropyl alcohol works great on electrical, it also leaves no residue. I would also add a little dielectric afterward to keep it all sweet.

FYI: Carb cleaner will majorly F up paint and tends to not be the kindest to plastic.

Let me add one thing to my brake clean suggestion.

It HAS to be non-chlorinated. ONLY!!!

Edited. KNow what I meant to say dang it. I do still like the carb cleaner but if you aren't careful it will eat up painted parts for sure. I still like the baking soda / water as first attack anyway.

Sean

In all honesty......

If your not having electrical issues.... LEAVE IT ALONE..

You are actaully lossening the connection when you pull a connector apart and put it back together. (unless you have the proper tool to adjust the female part on the connector.

OEM connectors are pretty damn good. I never had an electrical issue due to an OEM connector.. Unless you enter your VMAX in the swamp buggy race on the weekends or take it off a tarzan swing into your local lake I dont see why one would want to kick a sleeping dog.. Just looking for problems.

The only real known problems on the VMAX are..

The console on and off.. starter button.. and the wire solder mod back by the battery..

Well this bike may have come from the Phuket Tsunami. I picked it up cheap and found lots of "stuff" in radiator, engine and other areas. I have had the motor all apart to put new bearings and fix trans. I was doing some work and after my temp guage is not working. I have to check some connections on it to find out what is wrong there.

Jim

In all honesty......

If your not having electrical issues.... LEAVE IT ALONE..

You are actaully lossening the connection when you pull a connector apart and put it back together. (unless you have the proper tool to adjust the female part on the connector.

OEM connectors are pretty damn good. I never had an electrical issue due to an OEM connector.. Unless you enter your VMAX in the swamp buggy race on the weekends or take it off a tarzan swing into your local lake I dont see why one would want to kick a sleeping dog.. Just looking for problems.

The only real known problems on the VMAX are..

The console on and off.. starter button.. and the wire solder mod back by the battery..

I don't agree with this. I've seen plenty of corroded/rusted/melted OEM connectors on VMaxs, the majority of which are on the charging system.

I don't agree with this. I've seen plenty of corroded/rusted/melted OEM connectors on VMaxs, the majority of which are on the charging system.

I can see this if a motorcycle is exposed around an area with salt water such as your east coasts and west coasts. The OEM connectors are pretty well insulated.

I will rephrase

I have never had any electrical issues due to rust on OEM connectors. I have had issues with loose connectors.

Back