Electrical for Noob

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThomBoz

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm new here, read all the noob stuff I think, and don't know where to go for my problem. I'm trying to help a buddy get his 92 running. He bought it 2 years ago, it felt like it ran on 3 cylinders unless it had more than 1/2 throttle, then ran great, but has been getting worse. I read about the card stuff.
So I told him to change plugs, he did, now it has no spark to any plug. Starter works, bike turns over fine, there is power to the coils, the fuses check out. Is there a side stand switch of some other safety device to check? Is there a way to check the ignitor box (what do you call it here?)
Where do I find the proper place to post my questions, find info, and get help.
Thanks ThomBoz
Also, I have another buddy who dragraces his mostly stock VMax, but he is 'forum illiterate' so I may be posting for him. He wants to know about fitting a longer swing arm and wider rear tire (drag slick). He will not ride it on the street. Do you have that stuff here?

This is a good place to start to get the electrical gurus to chime in. As for changing the swingarm adding wider rest tires, etc it has all been done before and there are scattered threads around reflecting it. I would search up a few for you and repost them here but doing on my phone isn't the easiest.

As far as parts for changing swingarm or any other things, there are multiple vendors on here that can help out. Sean for one I think has everything you could get or add to a Vmax. He is usually happy to help and can be reached on here or at [email protected]

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

You got the right forum. There is a sidestand switch, which you might just go ahead and unplug for testing. They sometimes do strange things. It's possible that you have an ignition switch issue, but I can't exactly remember the whole process for that one. Miles, Steve, Sean, and the other electrical guys will be along shortly to give you real help.

For the worsening performance, I'd put the old plugs back in and do the peashooter and shotgun (search for them on here or on www.lvlhead.com). The three cylinder up to 1/4 throttle thing sounds like a pilot jet issue.

I started the read the 'peashooter' but figured it would be a waste of time without spark. I read about aftermarket ignitor boxes, but they didn't say where to get one or cost. This bike has 53,000 miles on it but a good tranny, perhaps we ought to part it out?

See if sean has another electrical test kit. Email him at [email protected]. Your 92 will have a newer box than the one in the kit I've got for my 86. You might be able to work out your gremlins that way. Sudden loss of spark is strange, though. If it was working before a plug change. have you tested your coils to see if they're actually working? They can go bad. You might also trim the plug wires a bit. If there's corrosion, you might be able to cut past that and the resistance could even out. Also set your gap to .031-.035 for stock coils.

I recently had some electrical issues which I think were due to my wife and I staying at a hotel very close to the beach and it being covered in ocean mist due to big breaking waves. My key switch and fuel pump stopped working until I cleaned the contacts on both. What is your recommendation for using something to lube the electrical connectors to prevent future problems?

try putting the old plugs back in you may have a bad batch also you have power to your coils but are the coil wires to the plugs ok ? i second to check to see if the side stand switch is working

To test your side stand switch use a multimeter make such you are getting power through the switch when side stand is up if not faulty switch.

Is it turning over when you go to start it ?

Hi,
I'm new here, read all the noob stuff I think, and don't know where to go for my problem. I'm trying to help a buddy get his 92 running. He bought it 2 years ago, it felt like it ran on 3 cylinders unless it had more than 1/2 throttle, then ran great, but has been getting worse. I read about the card stuff.
So I told him to change plugs, he did, now it has no spark to any plug. Starter works, bike turns over fine, there is power to the coils, the fuses check out. Is there a side stand switch of some other safety device to check? Is there a way to check the ignitor box (what do you call it here?)
Where do I find the proper place to post my questions, find info, and get help.
Thanks ThomBoz
Also, I have another buddy who dragraces his mostly stock VMax, but he is 'forum illiterate' so I may be posting for him. He wants to know about fitting a longer swing arm and wider rear tire (drag slick). He will not ride it on the street. Do you have that stuff here?

Interesting that as soon as new plugs were put in that there was no spark. I would suspect the new plugs. Also pull the clutch in when turning it over as that would eliminate the sidestand switch. From the sounds of the original problem, I would say that the idle jet is plugged and the carbs need to be pulled and cleaned. Danny and Sean both offer this service if you don't want to do it yourself.

It turnesover just fine, I jumped it to my Van and it didn't do any better. My friend is a bit of a mechanical 'idiot' so I figured he just screwed something up when changing plugs. I'll be more thorough about checking contacts and connections, perhaps swap the coile with somethinh that I know works.
I use dielectric grease on contacts, it lubes them and protects them from corrosion & water but does not inhibit flow of electrons.
I like V-Maxes, but do not own one. Mostly I ride a 1981 Suzuki GS450 cafe racerish thing and a 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000 steampunk/rat bike, I've actually turned 12.3s @ 110mph with the Vulcan. There were two 'Maxes at the track one day, I could easily beat one, the other totally left me. I think the rider of the slow one was afraid of it, but it was still fun to say I beat a VMax!

Easy stuff first. It's easy to crack the porcelain on plugs using an automotive socket on a Vmax, all 4 isn't likely, but... I'd inspect them all and do a spark test with a known good plug. Or get a spark tester from Harbor Freight for cheap. Unplug a coil connector and make sure there is juice on one pin of the plug connection, with the key on of course. The rear coils are easiest to access.
Steve-o

Back